vRS vs. 1.8 TSI

I was unable to find an already existing topic to place this thread, therefore I'm starting a new one.

I'm having a hard time to choose the right Octavia to purchase - either vRS (2.0 TSI) or standard one with 1.8 TSI.

Both equiped with DSG boxes.

I'm sort of confused, if the vRS would be the correct choice, since all I need it an agile and quick car for daily commuting (90% - city traffic).

The 350 Nm would certainly provide the required agility, however, I'm thinking if the 250 Nm, provided by 1.8 TSI wouldn't be just enough.

The 1.8 TSI is significantly cheaper (5k EUR) than the vRS and would allow me to add some additional extras (Canton, 8'' screen, leather seats).

None of the models are available my local dealership (Latvia), therefore there's no way how to test them both and decide on a real-world example.

I've tested only vRS with 2.0 TDI and it was an impressive car, however, I would be really upset if I spent a certain amount of money for vRS and never even used all the power that it offers.

Can you please share your thoughts on this?

Does it makes sense to think about vRS?

Thanks!

This is something only you can decide.

What do you want, a slighty faster car or more toys?

I have the 1.8 Tsi 4x4 and its quick enough for me. A vRS tsi would be quicker, but not that much.

You say you will mostly be driving in City traffic, why not consider the 1.4 TSI and load it with toys?

This is an interesting debate with some important details.

With 1.8 you cant get VRS looks, this might on not might be a good thing.

Dont forget that if you like VRS seats, you can also gets similar dynamic seats (without the leather) in standard models. Personally I find standard seats just too short, but I am a big guy.

You can also get sport suspension with 1.8 (the same you get in VRS if I am not mistaken), but you cant have VRS brakes.

Horses for courses, 1.8 does get a lot of power for quite a lot less money compared to VRS.

Personally the one thing I would miss the most with 1.8 is VRS body kit. Standard model just look to ordinary from behind (it lacks real spoiler and double exhausts).

• Like 1

This is something only you can decide.

What do you want, a slighty faster car or more toys?

I have the 1.8 Tsi 4x4 and its quick enough for me. A vRS tsi would be quicker, but not that much.

You say you will mostly be driving in City traffic, why not consider the 1.4 TSI and load it with toys?

The 1.4 TSI comes with Compound link rear crank-axle which in my opinion affects the ride, therefore 1.8 TSI is the only option, apart from vRS and Scout.

I tested the 1.4 TSI though, and found that it lacks the agility I look forward to experience, therefore - the next ones in a row - 1.8 and vRS are now being evaluated (unfortunately, only in theory).

The 1.4 TSI comes with Compound link rear crank-axle which in my opinion affects the ride, therefore 1.8 TSI is the only option, apart from vRS and Scout.

I tested the 1.4 TSI though, and found that it lacks the agility I look forward to experience, therefore - the next ones in a row - 1.8 and vRS are now being evaluated (unfortunately, only in theory).

Right. Id forgotten about the multi-link. Never mind that suggestion.

I had the mk2 L&k 1.8 but in manual. Very much a wolf in sheep's clothing. Loved it. Only downside was the soft suspension when driving at speed on bends etc (leaned alot). 0-60 mph was only around 1/2 sec off the Vrs.

Now have Vrs dsg,Rallye green with black pack, definitely a wolf in wolf's clothing.

Just had a 1.8TSI Jetta for a weeks hire in the US. The engine was a little peach, very good but the single clutch auto box was awful. With the DSG box the Octavia gets the 1.8 would be a very good car. You could always chip it if you want more oomph.

Thanks to similar power and significantly less weight, the 1.8 TSI has globally the same and even better performances than the TDI vRS.

The engine itself is more flexible than he TDI, with a wider range of use (max rev/rev of max torque) and a similar torque reserve (Max torque/torque at max power).
The 2.0 TSI is clearly even better in most areas, but unless you have many opportunities to use the increased power, or unless the RS look is one of your priorities, I don't see how you could be dissappointed by the 1.8 TSI.
Clearly the best engine under the bonnets I've ever owned.

VRS.

Great around town, but has the power when you get it out of the built up urban sprawl.

Plus better seats, looks, handling, brakes, lights, etc.

I'm biased as I have one, but as already said, it's your choice.

• Like 2

Too bad I'm unable to compare those two in real-life.

It's hard to imagine if the slight body roll of 1.8 TSI and slightly weaker brakes would play an important role for me.

The vRS look, of course, if much more desirable, however, it's only for me to decide if the looks itself (providing that almost everything else except brakes can be added to a regular Octavia - dynamic seats, suspension, perforated steering wheel) is worth extra 5k EUR.

Get the vRS or you will be forever asking, would I have been happier in the vRS? The answer is yes you would have been, if for no other reason than it would keep you from continually questioning your decision.

Might want to save up for the canton in the vRS though as I understand the standard system is lacking.

• Like 1

VRS.

Great around town, but has the power when you get it out of the built up urban sprawl.

Plus better seats, looks, handling, brakes, lights, etc.

I'm biased as I have one, but as already said, it's your choice.

Better lights? Please explain.

Another thing that you will not have in 1.8 TSI, along with brakes, is the progressive steering.

BR

Cip

I have progressive servo on the 1.8. But the vrs gets variable ration on the steering. Many seems to mix up those two.

Sorry about the poor explanation, but technical english in not my strongest side :)

• Like 1

A year ago I had to face the same question and, finally, I decided to go for a Combi Elegance 1.8 TSI DSG because:

· DSG 7 on 1.8 TSI vs DSG 6 on vRS: one more gear means lower fuel consumption and a very relaxed cruising in motorway. In addition, DQ200 gearbox doesn’t need the regular maintenance (changing oil is due after 60,000 km) that DQ250 requires. I’m covering around 20.000 km/year and I guess that running costs are quite better than vRS.

· The rear multilink was a must, so only 1.8 TSI or 4x4 versions were options, as well as the vRS.

· The support of the money gap between Elegance and VRS contributed to a fully loaded configuration: Bixenon + AFS +Led, Columbus, CANTON, front and rear heated seats, power-adjustable driver's seat, PARK ASSIST 2.0, Optical Parking Assistant, KESSY, ACC, rear airbags, panoramic roof, sports chassis, OEM tow bar, extended warranty, etc. (the extensive list goes up to 38 options).

· I love its sleeper aesthetics. No one could expect the potential under the bonnet and, sometimes, it’s funny to watch puzzled faces in the mirror.

After 10.000 km, I’m very satisfied with the Octavia. It runs smoothly, the handling is good enough for my driving style and every piece of kit performs as expected. Despite I do not miss power, I must recognise that those drivers used to powerful old school turbo engines could find this configuration a bit bland. Anyway, if I had to highlight relevant drawbacks, the low quality of fabric and leather trims and the non-supporting design of the backrest of front seats should be the most important ones.

Good luck with your decision! 

Edited by Maybach