new shock absorber

Hi,

I am about to change my front shock absorber and found out there are 2 types, one with 50cm housing diameter and one with 55cm. Does anyone knows how to find out which one is best for my car?

I have a 2011 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.6TDI DSG.

Attached is a picture with what I found, the second one is 50cm diameter and the 3rd one is 55cm. I understand that is related to the spring, but how should i know which one best fit?

Also, my mechanic told me I need to replace the top mount as well, does anyone knows which one will fit my car?

post-125587-0-46940100-1438545924_thumb.png

post-125587-0-83602200-1438545936_thumb.png

Mines is a 2012 manual. Just replaced two fronts & mines where 50mm ones, you'd be aswell changing top mounts also.... Your in that area and will come off with suspension so why not?

G

thanks for your replies, my wonder was if I need to order a 55cm diameter or 50cm one.. I don't know where can I find this information.

Did you have a particular place you were going to order from? Give TPS a call and give them your reg number they'll be able to tell you what size you need.. The other alternative is to see if you can notice the part number on your old strut. It is recommended to change both sides at the same time but in the past I've just changed individual sides due to low funds and never had any problems.

Did you have a particular place you were going to order from? Give TPS a call and give them your reg number they'll be able to tell you what size you need.. The other alternative is to see if you can notice the part number on your old strut. It is recommended to change both sides at the same time but in the past I've just changed individual sides due to low funds and never had any problems.

Just gave TPS a call and it came out as £182.00 both, without the top mounting. I have found on another place Sachs or Anschler for half of that price. However, they were unable to tell me what housing diameter I should order.

I am unable to see the part number as everything is mounted and car is running. However, I need to replace both side, so there's no doubt I will replace just one.

thanks for your replies, my wonder was if I need to order a 55cm diameter or 50cm one.. I don't know where can I find this information.

It's the diameter of the strut where the strut goes into the hub assembly.  Turn the wheel on full lock & measure it.  I think up to 1020kg front axle load it's 50mm but it's best to measure it with a vernier or a caliper or even cut a 50mm slot in a piece of thick cardboard and see if it slips over.

Replace both.

The SKF top mount looks right.  The others look like parts are missing.

I assume your mech is doing the work & you just are buying parts?   I hope so.

I am unable to measure the diameter, there is no space to do it. I have however took a picture with something that i believe is supose to be the part number, but i dont know how to search for that number. Is there a place where you can enter the part number and tells you the part?

post-125587-0-45928200-1438598943_thumb.jpg

you can try measuring from underneath the hub and the diameter of the hub itself where the strut pokes through

the strut size is determined by the brake set up so 280mm front discs will have 50mm struts where as 288mm / 312mm will have 55mm struts

mostly likely to be 50mm as per Taxi_G but you need to double check it yourself as not sure if DSG cars gets uprated brakes, so if you have the larger 288mm discs then it will be the 55mm ones

Im extremely dumb today. When I went outside to do the measure, I was trying to measure the strut (is it the one holding the spring, right?) which anyway is probably over 100mm. Now I just realised I need to measure the damn shock absorber. However, mine looks to be around 46mm. A quick look at the front brake disk looks like 260mm. 

Just underneath the spring, the circumference is around 160mm. That divided by 3.14 is 50.95. So I believe the housing diameter should be 50mm.

Well done. That's a good price but in order to help others on here where did you order them from? Links are good!!

The website is http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ and its cheaper than eurocarparts. They also have some discounts now, orders over £50 will get £5 discount, over £100 will get £15 discount. If your order is over £150 you can place 2 orders and get the discount for £50 and for £100. This is what ive done today and ive got £20 off which is not bad at all.

Thanks forall your support!!

• Like 1

The website is http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ and its cheaper than eurocarparts. They also have some discounts now, orders over £50 will get £5 discount, over £100 will get £15 discount. If your order is over £150 you can place 2 orders and get the discount for £50 and for £100. This is what ive done today and ive got £20 off which is not bad at all.

Thanks forall your support!!

Good stuff buddy you've done well i think. Thanks for the link too.