Dry Ratchet in a Biscuit Tin?

Ok, I am a bit obsessive, and having owned a few VW's previously, I know that Skoda may have scrimped on a few of the quality items that VW has (ahem..) as standard.. but whilst the handbrake on my VRS works fine, it doesn't sound particularity pleasant when you pull it on!   In fact sounds like a dry 1/2" socket set ratchet being turned in a biscuit tin to me? Kinda echoey and even a bit..er..cheap (sorry!).

Anyone else also been annoyed to the point of a "mod" with this and if so, what that was?  More grease on the mechanism? sound deadening pads?

Not pressing the button annoys the hell out of me, ive a mate who does this and i tell him off every time, sounds like a roller coaster going up hill, press button and silence,Ah!!

• Like 2

As all the above use the button to apply and disengage the hand brake as this reduces wear to the components and helps to prolong the useful life.

Long ago a friend of mine had to replace the handbrake leaver assembly for the same reason, premature wear., he has since used the button.

• Like 1

Ok, I am a bit obsessive, and having owned a few VW's previously, I know that Skoda may have scrimped on a few of the quality items that VW has (ahem..) as standard.. but whilst the handbrake on my VRS works fine, it doesn't sound particularity pleasant when you pull it on!   In fact sounds like a dry 1/2" socket set ratchet being turned in a biscuit tin to me? Kinda echoey and even a bit..er..cheap (sorry!).

Anyone else also been annoyed to the point of a "mod" with this and if so, what that was?  More grease on the mechanism? sound deadening pads?

Do you have the jumbo box?

I think the feel and noise is much better with that covering the handbrake.  Could be a nice mod to install?

As all the above use the button to apply and disengage the hand brake as this reduces wear to the components and helps to prolong the useful life.

Long ago a friend of mine had to replace the handbrake leaver assembly for the same reason, premature wear., he has since used the button.

Yes if the ratchet becomes sufficiently worn to allow it to release from the side of the lever just being knocked for example it's an mot failure, so well worth looking after it.

I've always thought yanking the handbrake up without pressing the button was strictly the preserve of learners on their first lesson, and 80 year old women in beige Metros [emoji6]

• Like 1

Apply the handbrake the proper way, hold the button in pull up release button !

Haha - yeah, must have missed the page in the owners manual that said what the "proper" way was - silly me :rofl:

Trouble is though, if I do that, I think I can hear other noises like the inner cable pulling through the outer cable - is there a way to stop that - that noise is maddening too?

hey, is there a "proper" way for anything else mum? :D

I've always thought yanking the handbrake up without pressing the button was strictly the preserve of learners on their first lesson, and 80 year old women in beige Metros [emoji6]

How did you know dearie?

As above?!?

Why are you "racking" thing handbrake anyway?!?

There's a button to be used to stop is very issue.

Cant say that I do? just making the point that the mechanism feels nasty and sounds cheap like it wasn't assembled correctly in the factory or something - not a slick mechanism by any means..

It's not meant to be a ratchet you pull from fully off to fully on.  Merely a "stop" when you have grabbed handle, depressed button, pulled up, let go of button. :)   Perhaps then when its clicked in place you might feel it's not tight enough to give it one "click" up without the button. :)

But a full dakakakakakakakakaka as you pull up the handle with no ratchet is not how any handbrake is meant to be applied.  Was a driving test no-no from memory? :)

Depends on what else you're not doing as it was intended I guess. :D

Well, as you're not going to let this go, since losing most of my left thumb and some of my index finger in a factory crush injury, a fair bit actually and I cant always pull the handbrake on without the ratchet due to the pain in my thumb stump.

Maybe I should be made to drive a LHD car?

Any more smart answers?

Many modern cars have an electric parking brake now, :thumbup:

Although given the choice between using the full ratchet and having to change car simply due to difficulty with pulling it, i would just do the "looking like a plonker" thing every time.  There's more to cars than just the handbrake ratchet noise. :)

PS: I guess using right hand not an option?

Although I also push the button when engaging the handbrake, my son who passed his test last year was instructed not to by his instructor. This is apparently the knew way to do it...