World Super Bikes & Super SPort 300 series

lol-lol

Did know this had even been launched.

Looks good, as big as an R1 or R6 but bit more upright everyday bike.

0-60 in 6 seconds, capable of almost 110 mph, no doubt silly MPG ie 60 mpg plus.

Sound 'orrible but could sound better.

Quite cheap, ABS as standard, what is the catch? Anything better and an everyday bike that looks great?

Edited by lol-lol

Ive seen them in a local dealer. But dont know much.

Designed for the 47bhp restricted people i would think? So maybe priced so they might sell one?

Are you restricted?

Edit: theres also a Ninja 300 now iirc.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Ive seen them in a local dealer. But dont know much.

Designed for the 47bhp restricted people i would think? So maybe priced so they might sell one?

Are you restricted?

Edit: theres also a Ninja 300 now iirc.

No as I have a full power SV650S and have had CB900, XJ600, Kawasaki H1F, TR1 and quite a few other 60 hp plus bikes.

Just like the look of it, maybe all the bike ones needs whilst not endangering ones licence too much.  

No as I have a full power SV650S and have had CB900, XJ600, Kawasaki H1F, TR1 and quite a few other 60 hp plus bikes.

Just like the look of it, maybe all the bike ones needs whilst not endangering ones licence too much.

Ooh i like the SV650s.

I know what you mean there. But i dont think i personally could be content with 47bhp.

SV is a nice spread of power for the road i think.

Ooh i like the SV650s.

I know what you mean there. But i dont think i personally could be content with 47bhp.

SV is a nice spread of power for the road i think.

The SV650S is quite an aggressive riding position and I am quite tall at just over 6 ft, lots of load on the wrists.

SV650 runs out of steam not much over 100 mph even with its 70 hp or so but it is much heavier and/or un-aero.

Would be interesting to know how well the R3 holds motorway speeds in to a headwind and being an A2 it could be a bike my lad (already passed his car test) could start to get in to if rules allow.    

The SV650S is quite an aggressive riding position and I am quite tall at just over 6 ft, lots of load on the wrists.

SV650 runs out of steam not much over 100 mph even with its 70 hp or so but it is much heavier and/or un-aero.

Would be interesting to know how well the R3 holds motorway speeds in to a headwind and being an A2 it could be a bike my lad (already passed his car test) could start to get in to if rules allow.

The S is yeah. But the naked has different bars and a more upright riding position. I found my S relatively comfy though, compared to more sporty things ive ridden anyway.

Yeah 100mph it does slow down. But itll crack on till about 125/130mph if youve got the patience.

I dont think a 300 will pull like the SV will in the slightest tbh. But how fast do you want to go? The sv isnt that heavy either.

Plus the midrange torque of the sv is handy for road riding, the r3 will likely need revving harder to get thr best out of it.

The S is yeah. But the naked has different bars and a more upright riding position. I found my S relatively comfy though, compared to more sporty things ive ridden anyway.   Yeah 100mph it does slow down. But itll crack on till about 125/130mph if youve got the patience.   I dont think a 300 will pull like the SV will in the slightest tbh. But how fast do you want to go? The sv isnt that heavy either.   Plus the midrange torque of the sv is handy for road riding, the r3 will likely need revving harder to get thr best out of it.

Yes indeed the R3 has less than half the torque of the SV, perhaps have both so I can go out riding with the lad and borrow occasionally.

Kept looking around for higher bars for the S as I do like the bike mostly although Suzuki quality is a bit lower, I find, than Honda and Yamaha. Seat not too great and I tend to have a backpack with my laptop in it which does not help but still have not found a good solution for carrying elsewhere on the bike and always hated top boxes and putting panniers on is expensive and quite difficult to.  I do find the SV pretty good on the A and B roads, as good if not better than the Fazer (newer type with detuned R6 engine in it) which felt top heavy and got its best between 10-14k revs where, as you say, the SV piles it on quite well from 6-10k revs.  No doubt the R3 would need a bit of thrashing but the reports are quite positive in that regard.  Use to have loads of fun on two stroke 250 and they were only 32 hp, just crack the ton with expansion chambers, K&Ns, re-jetting etc.

The  standard R3 exhaust sounds pretty wet but marginally better with the Akrapovic exhaust and the 270 degree crack oddly makes it sound like a V rather than a parallel twin.  Just go the SV MOT'd on Saturday and I gather Skellerns shop here have a demo so might have a go if I get a chance just to see, we can dream but not sure my company are to happy for me to use my £9K pa car allowance on such things!    

Yeah itll be designed to be thrashed aha. If youre used to bigger stuff, i dont think itll be all that exciting. Especially a parallel twin. They dont do much for me aha.

You can get bar lifting kits for the SV, longer brake lines etc. theres a few on the SV forum which have done it.

It depends on how far you wanna travel tbh. I was alright for 300 mile days on the SV without any trouble. Have done 400 on thr VFR which isnt too different in riding position.

Maybe a naked bike would be best if you like sitting up?

Yeah itll be designed to be thrashed aha. If youre used to bigger stuff, i dont think itll be all that exciting. Especially a parallel twin. They dont do much for me aha.

You can get bar lifting kits for the SV, longer brake lines etc. theres a few on the SV forum which have done it.  It depends on how far you wanna travel tbh. I was alright for 300 mile days on the SV without any trouble. Have done 400 on thr VFR which isnt too different in riding position.  Maybe a naked bike would be best if you like sitting up?

The sit up bike with the half fairing, like the Fazer, was great, just not the detuned R6 engine.

If money was less of an issue then the MT09 Tracer is quite a machine ( MT09 wheelie at 50 mph).  There apparently is going to be a MT07 Tracer in the next few months.

The ER650 has been so successful if it quite charmless.  The best SV650 was 28th in the Lightweight TT (but it was forced to refuel even though it does not need to like the ER).

R3 has a good torque plateau even if the headline figure is not impressive.  I find that a plot for power against revs is much more relevant.  R3 better than Honda and Kawasaki 300s from the tests.  http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-yamaha-r3-dyno-run-video-and-power-comparison-dyno-test

• Like 1

I dont think a 300 will pull like the SV will in the slightest tbh.

It won't pull the skin off a rice pudding, without a 50mph tail wind, lol. Might be fun for half an hour on a twisty b roads, but after that you'd be bored rigid if you've ever ridden anything quicker.

• Like 2

Powerband, not powerboat. Bleedin' autocorrect.    A 2 stroke powerboat does sound fun though.

As long as you have access to Duty Free petrol (and two stoke oil).   Just come back from Gibraltar, not so bad now but the smugglers use to have 12M boats with four  275 hp (at least) outboards on it and a speed over 50 knots.  Fuel consumption gallons per mile.   Engines were sometimes rehoused with decals from smaller hp ones as there was maximum outboard size.  Many of these engines now 4 stroke.   

not so bad now but the smugglers use to have 12M boats with four  275 hp (at least) outboards on it

After my post I've just spent half an hour idly browsing speedboat videos on YouTube, there was a drug smugglers' boat with no less than eight (count 'em, lol) v6 2 stroke outboards on.

After my post I've just spent half an hour idly browsing speedboat videos on YouTube, there was a drug smugglers' boat with no less than eight (count 'em, lol) v6 2 stroke outboards on.

Some of the Gibraltar, and other, smuggling boats, would be port registered in the UK which was a function HM Customs carried out, I was a Registrar of British Ships as they had to do this to get a mortgage on the boat so we would see what they had installed, particularly if inboard engines.  fun chasing them in our Customs Cutters and RIBs, if we had a bit of trouble just ask the Special Boat Squad to help out.  They are pretty cool with their boats.  Strange peeps but useful.

Sounds like interesting work.

Indeed. And surveillance work and the knocks but the pay was crap u less on the shifts.

Occasionally could use seized vehicles as well our own. Had a fun Renault Williams car.

• 1 year later...

Well took a plunge and ordered a new R3 just before New Year so I guess I will find out what a step down it is from the SV650S.

Like most bike prices (except EV bikes which are going down with the grant) it was going to go up in price around 5% over the New Year.

Hoping the 0-60 in 5 seconds rather than sub 4 is not going to be too disappointing.   

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Well took a plunge and ordered a new R3 just before New Year so I guess I will find out what a step down it is from the SV650S.

Like most bike prices (except EV bikes which are going down with the grant) it was going to go up in price around 5% over the New Year.

Hoping the 0-60 in 5 seconds rather than sub 4 is not going to be too disappointing.   

maxresdefault.jpg

Brill. Good work! 

Yeah everything is going up slightly this year so a good time to buy before they do. 

Have you bought without test riding then? They certainly look the part dont they! Bet they're ace on fuel too. 

Interesting reading through a year old thread tbh. It's got our old mate Striple in it :D :D. Also the Tracer is mentioned which i actually ended up buying 2 bikes later! 

Brill. Good work!   Yeah everything is going up slightly this year so a good time to buy before they do.   Have you bought without test riding then? They certainly look the part dont they! Bet they're ace on fuel too. 

Interesting reading through a year old thread tbh. It's got our old mate Striple in it :D :D. Also the Tracer is mentioned which i actually ended up buying 2 bikes later! 

I have had quite a few parallel twins four stroke. Small ones like 200cc (CB200), 20hp as my fist bike, and a 250 Superdream, mainly for my partner at the time, think it was 27 hp, and then an ER5, GPZ500S and CB500 ABS which were all about 50 hp I think.  200-250s were quite wet, 500s actually quite nippy.

MCN reckoned the R3/MT03 was the best bike under 500cc in 2015 and even though it only has 42 hp it is only 169 Kgs (372 lbs) wet and therefore has a pretty good power to weight.  So 0-60 in 5 seconds not too bad and 110 mph is enough and it is such a comfortable riding position, quite sat up for a sports looking bike.  Oddly longer than an R1 or R6 !

Not much scope from tuning I would guess, taller screen to deal with my 6ft height and maybe a better exhaust at some point though I have ordered it on PCP rather than HP.  Who wants to loss a grand in VAT in one go?  Got £2K for the SV so am paying next to nothing a month on PCP and paying sub 350cc road tax.  How can it be right that a 350cc plus bike pays more road tax than a one ton car whose CO2 is less than 120g/km?

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

I have had quite a few parallel twins four stroke. Small ones like 200cc (CB200), 20hp as my fist bike, and a 250 Superdream, mainly for my partner at the time, think it was 27 hp, and then an ER5, GPZ500S and CB500 ABS which were all about 50 hp I think.  200-250s were quite wet, 500s actually quite nippy.

MCN reckoned the R3/MT03 was the best bike under 500cc in 2015 and even though it only has 42 hp it is only 169 Kgs (372 lbs) wet and therefore has a pretty good power to weight.  So 0-60 in 5 seconds not too bad and 110 mph is enough and it is such a comfortable riding position, quite sat up for a sports looking bike.  Oddly longer than an R1 or R6 !

Not much scope from tuning I would guess, taller screen to deal with my 6ft height and maybe a better exhaust at some point though I have ordered it on PCP rather than HP.  Who wants to loss a grand in VAT in one go?  Got £2K for the SV so am paying next to nothing a month on PCP and paying sub 350cc road tax.  How can it be right that a 350cc plus bike pays more road tax than a one ton car whose CO2 is less than 120g/km?

Be interesting to hear your comparison thoughts when it arrives then. Im sure you'll love it! 

It should be nippy enough yeah. I seem to remember the SV650 i had being relatively nippy when it was restricted to 33bhp all that time ago, and the R3 will certainly be quite abit faster than that wont it. 

Is the R3 the same engine as the MT03 then? Just in a different style bike? Is the frame the same? 

Cheap as chips then. Brill. 

It doesn't make any sense does it, but its It's funny you mention the tax bands. I stumbled on the finding out that the Tracer is 100g/km. So if it was a car it would be £0 to tax.. yet because its a bike in the top bike band, its £82. So yeah, i agree. Loads of sense :D. 

Be interesting to hear your comparison thoughts when it arrives then. Im sure you'll love it!   It should be nippy enough yeah. I seem to remember the SV650 i had being relatively nippy when it was restricted to 33bhp all that time ago, and the R3 will certainly be quite a bit faster than that wont it.   Is the R3 the same engine as the MT03 then? Just in a different style bike? Is the frame the same?   Cheap as chips then. Brill. 

It doesn't make any sense does it, but its It's funny you mention the tax bands. I stumbled on the finding out that the Tracer is 100g/km. So if it was a car it would be £0 to tax.. yet because its a bike in the top bike band, its £82. So yeah, i agree. Loads of sense :D. 

The weight/balance of the R3 feels great, almost like the 250 cc race replicas I use to run in the late 70s and 80s but then the Rs has proper big tyres by comparison, good brakes and ABS.

Road tax is £40 instead of £80.  The insurance has proved to be an interesting exercise.  So I am with Bennetts, renewal time is August 1st so rough half way through and they want £93 to change to the smaller bike.  What !   So I go on their website, get a new policy for a year for £80 and will cancel the old policy and get a few quid back.  Madness.

Fuel consumption is supposed to be around 60 mpg, and therefore the range is about 180 miles but numb bum would set in long before that no doubt.   The US rate the CO2 of the R3 at 97 gm/km apparently.

Hope for some fair weather to get the running in done (think it is roughly 10 mph per 1000 revs:-  

• 0–1000 km (0–600 mi) Avoid prolonged operation above 7000 r/min.
  • After 1000 km (600) 1600 km (600–1000 mi) Avoid prolonged operation above 8400 r/min
  • 1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond the vehicle can now be operated normally  (ie rev it to 12k whenever possible I guess) 
Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

The weight/balance of the R3 feels great, almost like the 250 cc race replicas I use to run in the late 70s and 80s but then the Rs has proper big tyres by comparison, good brakes and ABS.

Road tax is £40 instead of £80.  The insurance has proved to be an interesting exercise.  So I am with Bennetts, renewal time is August 1st so rough half way through and they want £93 to change to the smaller bike.  What !   So I go on their website, get a new policy for a year for £80 and will cancel the old policy and get a few quid back.  Madness.

Fuel consumption is supposed to be around 60 mpg, and therefore the range is about 180 miles but numb bum would set in long before that no doubt.   The US rate the CO2 of the R3 at 97 gm/km apparently.

Hope for some fair weather to get the running in done (think it is roughly 10 mph per 1000 revs:-  

• 0–1000 km (0–600 mi) Avoid prolonged operation above 7000 r/min.
  • After 1000 km (600) 1600 km (600–1000 mi) Avoid prolonged operation above 8400 r/min
  • 1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond the vehicle can now be operated normally  (ie rev it to 12k whenever possible I guess) 

Insurance makes absolutely no sense does it. I've had it a few times when its like that, complete ballache when you know very well its the same broker.. but 'apparently' its a different underwriter. 

180miles to a tank is good. I bet its better than 60mpg though mate ;). I got 60 out of the Tracer when i was running it in (seems to be around 55mpg now but i've only done 1250 miles on it still) so the R3 should do better than that when ridden responsibly ;). I imagine it will love to be revved though. 

You arent too far from LittleAde in Worcestershire then maybe? You'll have to let him sit on the R3, he might be able to reach the floor on that. Certainly seems to make a meal of the GS ;) :D. 

Running in will fly by. It's just all the crappy dirty horrible gritty roads at the moment :(. Roll on summer! 

Doing some more pre-reading and investigation on the web and came across this interesting how to video about setting the hi-vis led warning of where in the revs to change up and you can actually set your own redline ie 7K for running in and then anywhere up to 13,500 rpm in 500 rev steps via the dashboard......  

Doing some more pre-reading and investigation on the web and came across this interesting how to video about setting the hi-vis led warning of where in the revs to change up and you can actually set your own redline ie 7K for running in and then anywhere up to 13,500 rpm in 500 rev steps via the dashboard......

Yeah similar to what the Aprilia's have. Its pretty good actually. Can still see it flashing in the corner of your eye when you're going for it