World Super Bikes & Super SPort 300 series

lol-lol

Certainly looks a lovely bike. Looks great.  Yeah itll be fine. Its plenty powerful enough to still have good poke at light throttle uses. I meant like, running in a 1.0 car or a 125. Nightmare :D.

Cruisin at any speed is a big no no isnt it. Thats the bit i atruggled with tbh. Esp when on dual carriageways n motorways.   Puttin some pictures up of yours? ;) :D.

Bike looks completely standard in the blue colouring at the moment.

Look to add a flip or double bubble screen in either dark tint or blue.

Maybe a Yoshi or M4 exhaust and a tail piece either just adding pillion grips or bit a carrier but do not want it to spoil the lines.

Probably change the gearing to add a tooth to the front sprocket (as I will be riding solo 99% of the time) but I will see how it really feels.

Will do a picture when I get a couple of the amendments added on.

Maybe some Rossi or Vinales stickers.  Trouble is I got the bike on a PCP/HP lease rather than pure buying it so you are not suppose to do unofficial things one cannot easily reverse although I do not intend to give such a cheap bike back, it would always be a good hack machine for others to learn to ride on ie A2 licence compliant, it is a thought.   

Ace!

Screen n exhausts are always a winner. Be worth keeping the standard exhaust though incase you do give it back?

Add a tooth? Thatll make it higher geared wont it? Usually lose a tooth for more acceleration dont you? :D.

Yeah youve gotta be careful what you do to it i guess, but then if you're not going go give it back it doesnt really matter?

So the R3 is an mt03 with fairings on then? I guess thats where the upright position comes from?

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Ace!   Screen n exhausts are always a winner. Be worth keeping the standard exhaust though incase you do give it back?

Add a tooth? Thatll make it higher geared wont it? Usually lose a tooth for more acceleration dont you? :D.

Yeah youve gotta be careful what you do to it i guess, but then if you're not going go give it back it doesnt really matter?

So the R3 is an mt03 with fairings on then? I guess thats where the upright position comes from?

Just added a few more mile today.  It seems to pull sixth fine in even challenging conditions ie from 3k revs, in to a wind, up an incline and it seems a little bit too busy when holding the 6k revs and 60 mph like it needs another gear.  I will try it.  If 6th becomes an overdrive then that is fine.  The flip-up screen should drop the aero drag by about 10%.  Bikes are often geared for impressive on test drives and two up riding taking in to account and not for the long term ownership and mostly one up ownership.

I am sure it shares many parts with the MT03 but also all the panels are different and unfortunately the back cowling where the MT has nice side hand grip the R3 has none and there is none in the accessories/parts catalogue so have to look elsewhere for something in this department.   The R3 is longer than both the R6 and R1, it is a pleasure to ride in town or in the countryside.

It might have the more upright to help people get through their A2 licence I suppose.

I would like to lay the flip and double bubble over the standard screen just to see what a raise I will see in the top of the screen.  I have seen any spec like they use to ie +2 inches etc.

Roll on 600 miles to start to let it get closer to peak torque at 9k.

• 3 weeks later...

Puig dark tint double bubble screen fitted, after a bit of struggle and looks spot on IMO.

New back sprocket with three less teeth also arrived ie 40T instead of 43T to change the overly high revving 6th, IMO ie 10 mph/1000 revs so that will go on soon too.

Thought the engine was a bit farty so I wondered if anyone had thoughts about what fuel to use in the latest Japanese machinery??

SV650 did not seem to mind super market unleaded but that was only 110 hp/litre where the R3 is more like 130 hp/litre.  

Only high octane?  Occasional mix, not supermarket but BP/Esso/Shell with less ethanol ie these tend to have less than 5% where supermarket may have up to 10%?  

Im sure Yam probably reccommend 95 upwards. 

I always stick 97 in all of my bikes and sometimes the car too. Just find things smoother with it in and just use it for its cleaning additives really. 

The r3 farting might be the engine by design? 

The Tracer pops abit on over run but nothing extravigent. Tuono really liked the Surpreme fuel n in the bucket load too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Im sure Yam probably reccommend 95 upwards.   I always stick 97 in all of my bikes and sometimes the car too. Just find things smoother with it in and just use it for its cleaning additives really.   The r3 farting might be the engine by design? 

The Tracer pops abit on over run but nothing extravigent. Tuono really liked the Surpreme fuel n in the bucket load too. 

R3 manual states "Your Yamaha has been designed to use Regular unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number  (RON) of 95 or higher.  If knocking or pinging (pinking) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel."

So I will do just that,  always like Tescos Momentum or Shell fuels (Nitro or even plain 95 Octane).  I have no idea what they put in when they gave me half a tank when I picked it up new a couple of weeks ago.  With a fuel consumption of about 60 mpg and a tank of only 14 litres (but a range of around 175 miles and hopefully the better screen and higher gearing) filling the tank with better but more expensive fuel will not be an expensive exercise.

Fingers cross for better fuel helping the power delivery as well as good running in.      

• 4 weeks later...

First 200 mile ride on the R3 (still running in), down to Cardiff from Worcester, difficult to keep under 7,000/7,500 revs ie 75 mph, new double bubble screen working well, more so with wind behind rather than in to sadly.

Another bloody recall so needs to go in for that as well as its run in service but at least I will be able to rev and run it at 8,000/8,500 then.  The torque is phenomenal with it easily pulling from 30 mph/3,000 in 6th gear which for a 320 cc engine I think is an incredible feat of engineering.    So much so I have a three tooth less of the back sprocket replacement to go on at service time.  Confident it will pull it and it will make cruising so much better ie 70 mph just over 6k revs rather than 7k revs (and hopefully allow the top speed to get closer to 120mph). 

Luving it so far, the featherlight weight etc, not sure about the Thai Michelins Sports and it will look much better with the tail-tidy....

ie...  Image result for R3 tail

rather than monstrosity..... (ehw)

Image result

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The new World SSP 300 series is well under way with IMOLA being the third road.   Qually times were 2'10" for the pole setter though this is the first times the packs are visiting this circuits in full competition mode.  With the vast fall in sales of the 600 cc bikes and the 300cc (actually some 400cc and 500cc in there) and this category being one that has worldwide and of course relatively cheap to get in to ie £5K bikes and very cheap to run things are looking like going strength to strength for this class.  Donnington in a couple of weeks!

Interesting article in Fast bikes on the new R6 and how strangled it is with the Euro 4 emissions...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/january/mcn-plus---emissions-impossible-what-euro-4-really-means/ 

02910_R5_Action.jpg

Sunny Italian skies make for stunning Superpole session

Mika Perez (WILSport Racedays) has secured pole position ahead of the third round of the FIM Supersport 300 World Championship at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari di Imola circuit.  Paolo Giacomini (Team Trasimeno) sailed through from Superpole One in the usually hectic opening session alongside Robert Schotman (GRT Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team) as the pair were over half a second ahead of the rest of the field.   Scott Deroue (MTM HS Kawasaki) continues to have a tough weekend, and the championship leader will start from 21st on grid as he was unable to progress through into Superpole Two at the Italian circuit.  Spanish rider Perez dominated the Superpole Two session, taking pole position with a lap time of 2.10.115 and putting him a second and a half ahead of his rivals. Alfonso Coppola (SK Racing) secured a front row start at his home round, meaning raceday will provide a lot of emotion for the young rider.

Borja Sanchez (Halcourier Racing) continues to impress in the competitive series and will round out the front row onboard his Yamaha machine. Giacomini had a stunning Saturday and after progressing through SP1, will start the race from the second row.

Good result at Imola.....

http://resources.worldsbk.com/files/results/2017/ITA1/SSP300/001/CLA/Results.pdf?version=3f254ea62985e67d70d5751fd79112ed

Race -Grid-No.-Rider -Nat-Team-Bike Laps-Gap-Fastest Lap- Qualify Time Speed Qual Speed  -R - Tot - Pos

1 5 41 M. GARCIA ESP Halcourier Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2'11.824 179,2 2'11.964 173,7 25 35 4

2 2 15 A. COPPOLA ITA SK Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 0.177 2'11.963 173,1 2'11.648 172,8 20 41 2

3 9 22 M. KALININ UKR Team MOTOXRACING Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.676 2'11.483 178,9 2'13.059 174,8 16 16 12

4 P 3 25 B. SÁNCHEZ ESP Halcourier Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.966 2'11.629 177,4 2'11.833 175,9 13 39 3

5 6 95 G. DE GRUTTOLA ITA SK Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.987 2'11.448 184,1 2'12.086 173,7 11 23 7

6 7 20 D. LOUREIRO RSA DS Junior Team Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.143 2'11.244 182,5 2'12.253 180,4 10 29 5

7 14 91 L. BERNARDI RSM MotorZenit Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.182 2'11.600 183,4 2'12.839 179,2 9 9 16 8

8 99 P. GRASSIA ITA 3570 Made in CIV Kawasaki Ninja 300 11 2.325 2'11.357 182,5 2'12.292 174,5 8 18 11

9 10 6 R. SCHOTMAN NED GRT Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.502 2'11.743 181,9 2'13.261 175,9 7 7 17

10 1 88 M. PEREZ ESP WILSport Racedays Honda CBR500R 11 3.403 2'11.922 170,9 2'10.115 176,2 6 22 8

1 minute ago, lol-lol said:

Good result at Imola.....

http://resources.worldsbk.com/files/results/2017/ITA1/SSP300/001/CLA/Results.pdf?version=3f254ea62985e67d70d5751fd79112ed

Race -Grid-No.-Rider -Nat-Team-Bike Laps-Gap-Fastest Lap- Qualify Time Speed Qual Speed  -R - Tot - Pos

1 5 41 M. GARCIA ESP Halcourier Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2'11.824 179,2 2'11.964 173,7 25 35 4

2 2 15 A. COPPOLA ITA SK Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 0.177 2'11.963 173,1 2'11.648 172,8 20 41 2

3 9 22 M. KALININ UKR Team MOTOXRACING Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.676 2'11.483 178,9 2'13.059 174,8 16 16 12

4 P 3 25 B. SÁNCHEZ ESP Halcourier Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.966 2'11.629 177,4 2'11.833 175,9 13 39 3

5 6 95 G. DE GRUTTOLA ITA SK Racing Yamaha YZF-R3 11 1.987 2'11.448 184,1 2'12.086 173,7 11 23 7

6 7 20 D. LOUREIRO RSA DS Junior Team Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.143 2'11.244 182,5 2'12.253 180,4 10 29 5

7 14 91 L. BERNARDI RSM MotorZenit Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.182 2'11.600 183,4 2'12.839 179,2 9 9 16 8

8 99 P. GRASSIA ITA 3570 Made in CIV Kawasaki Ninja 300 11 2.325 2'11.357 182,5 2'12.292 174,5 8 18 11

9 10 6 R. SCHOTMAN NED GRT Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team Yamaha YZF-R3 11 2.502 2'11.743 181,9 2'13.261 175,9 7 7 17

10 1 88 M. PEREZ ESP WILSport Racedays Honda CBR500R 11 3.403 2'11.922 170,9 2'10.115 176,2 6 22 8

Whats the rules there then? 

I thought it must be 300's but then theres a 500, which is last, somehow? 

From a 4 wheel perspective 7k revs no doubt seems excessive but for a modern small capacity motorcycle it really isn't. dropping 3 teeth from the rear sprocket is a big change and will dull the response of the bike throughout the range and while you may achieve a lower rev cruise it will certainly not improve top speed and may turn your bike into a plodder rather than sporting ride.

12 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Whats the rules there then? 

I thought it must be 300's but then theres a 500, which is last, somehow? 

The R3 is 321 cc. They allow KTM which are nearly 400cc and the Honda is a 500cc as you say.  Rules are here:-

(Weight are key as a handicap system), Acrapovic and Yoshi exhaust seem to be mostly used (give 1 or 2hp but losses loads of weight):-

Most bikes have changed exhaust and shocks.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/sport/regulations-and-documents/superbike/

2.7.1 Motorcycle specifications
All parts and systems not specifically mentioned in the following articles
must remain as originally produced by the manufacturer for the homologated
motorcycle.

2.7.2 Eligible Machines
The class will be based around the machines sold in Europe as A2 class
machines and excluding the A1 class machines. The Superbike Commission
has the right to decide which machines will eligible in the class.
For 2017 the following will be legal (this list can be amended at any time by
the Superbike Commission):
Honda CBR500R
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF)
Yamaha YZF-R3
KTM RC390
2.7.3 Balancing various motorcycle concepts
The Superbike Commission reserve the right to applying balancing to the
machines in the class as they see fit in order to maintain equality amongst
machines. Methods may include but are not limited to the following:
Rev Limit
Weight limit change
The decision to apply the handicap will be taken by the Superbike Commission
at any time deemed necessary to ensure fair competition.
2.7.4 Minimum weight
The minimum weight for each model is as follows:
Honda CBR500R 150Kg
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF) 140Kg
Yamaha YZF-R3 140Kg
KTM RC390 136Kg

At any time of the event, the weight of the whole motorcycle (including the
tank and its contents) must not be lower than the minimum weight.
There is no tolerance on the minimum weight of the motorcycle.
During the final technical inspection at the end of the race, the selected
motorcycles will be weighed in the condition they finished the race, and
the established weight limit must be met in this condition. Nothing may be
added to the motorcycle. This includes all fluids.....

2.7.8.18 Exhaust system
a) Exhaust pipes and silencers may be modified or changed. Catalytic
converters must be removed.
B) The number of the final exhaust silencer(s) must remain as homologated.
The silencer(s) must be on the same side(s) of the homologated model.
c) For safety reasons, the exposed edges of the exhausts pipe(s) outlet
must be rounded to avoid any sharp edges.
d) Wrapping of exhaust systems is not allowed except in the area of the
rider’s foot or an area in contact with the fairing for protection from
heat.
e) The noise limit for WorldSSP 300 be 107 dB/A (with a 3 dB/A tolerance
after the race only).
f) The test RPM will be as follows:
Machine: Test rpm
Honda CBR500R 5,000 rpm
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF) 6,500 rpm
Yamaha YZF-R3 7,500 rpm
KTM RC390 5,500 rpm

2.7.10.2 Suspension - General
a) Participants in the Superstock class must only use the approved and
listed suspension units for that season. The price limits are:
a) Fork: For the fork kit, including all parts such as but not limited
to cartridge, springs (1 set), adjusters, fork caps, blanking inserts,
seals, bushes but excepting oil and fitting the price limit is €650
excluding tax.
B) Shock Absorber/RCU: For the complete shock absorber/RCU
including but not limited to spring (1 of), pre-load adjuster and
length/ride height adjuster the price limit is €800 excluding tax.

4 minutes ago, JCP said:

From a 4 wheel perspective 7k revs no doubt seems excessive but for a modern small capacity motorcycle it really isn't. dropping 3 teeth from the rear sprocket is a big change and will dull the response of the bike throughout the range and while you may achieve a lower rev cruise it will certainly not improve top speed and may turn your bike into a plodder rather than sporting ride.

Yes I have not tried it yet.  It is balancing the loss of power application changing gear and the energy in spinning the crank up to which is often quite considerable.

Many R3s drop the chain size down to the 4 hundred series from the 500 series to both give more options.  Will try it in a few weeks and report. 

high quality chains allow for down sizing and some weight loss and often there are a wider variety of sprockets available allowing for closer matching of overall gearing to suit particular tracks-most commonly adopted by serious track riders for whom marginal gains are vital. I have a 675 Triumph which as standard uses a 525 chain and some convert to 520 for such reasons. Weight loss is an extremely useful performance booster and light exhausts, light batteries,alloy sprockets and removal of pillion pegs all help. 

11 hours ago, JCP said:

high quality chains allow for down sizing and some weight loss and often there are a wider variety of sprockets available allowing for closer matching of overall gearing to suit particular tracks-most commonly adopted by serious track riders for whom marginal gains are vital. I have a 675 Triumph which as standard uses a 525 chain and some convert to 520 for such reasons. Weight loss is an extremely useful performance booster and light exhausts, light batteries,alloy sprockets and removal of pillion pegs all help. 

Not just for Force= Mass X Acceleration or 

Acceleration = Force/ Mass

but flickability

and

gyroscopic procession

and

moment of inertia

Trigonometric calculus nearing killed me.  

Edited by lol-lol

• 2 weeks later...

Great World SSP 300 race at Doni this morning (It was on Quest channel as it got bumped from Eurosport by the bloody tennis).

Great close racing, won by the R3 ridden by Coppola where lead swapped several times in the last lap, doubt Monaco or most other motor races are going to be that exciting.  Field of over 30 included guys from 15 years old and some good lady racers.  Hopefully discover the Barry Sheen here.  http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017/WorldSSP300+Coppola+secures+stunning+victory+in+final+lap+battle

Congrats to Johnathan Rea for his MBE and that GB\UK Motorcycling is acknowledged.

Did not realise, until watching live timing data on the WSB website and the Eurosport TV program that the TV is 10 second behind !

Edited by lol-lol

On 17/06/2017 at 10:39, lol-lol said:

Congrats to Johnathan Rea for his MBE and that GB\UK Motorcycling is acknowledged.

Did not realise, until watching live timing data on the WSB website and the Eurosport TV program that the TV is 10 second behind !

Thats not bad going considering what processing it has to go through to get to your tv :D  

20 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Thats not bad going considering what processing it has to go through to get to your tv :D  

I wondered if it was deliberate if were going to see something that was unpleasant like when Marco S was struck at Sepang although in the race Jonnie did run over Chas.........

Davies “intent” on Laguna Seca comeback after crash

Chas's facebook,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Without a doubt one of the most innocent of crashes yet gnarly outcomes I've ever been involved in. I certainly felt the 235kg of bike + rider launch off my back and feel extremely lucky to be heading home 48hrs later without more serious injuries. Adrenalin and heart tells you to get back on the bike but after a few steps and a go at picking it up I realised that I couldn’t breathe, I was seeing stars and my torso felt like it had been steam rollered.

Johnny couldn’t have done anything different, apart from perhaps rolling off a tad and giving me a second or 2 lead. Seriously though, thanks to JR for looking out for me.

My relatively OK condition is a testament to wearing the best equipment and I owe everything to Alpinestars and Nolangroup for keeping me in one piece. Shout out to the circuit medical staff, Rimini hospital and Dr.Catani for getting me up and together. Thanks to my partner in crime hats  (she's in for a fun week of waiting on me) and my Aruba.it Racing - Ducati / Ducati family for going out of their way to make sure I have what I need to start the healing process right away. Thanks to all the well wishers at the circuit and everyone that has sent healing vibes through the social media channels.

Sequence: Marco Rimondi

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

@lol-lol Based on video (and replays) and an immediate post-race interview Johnny Rae literally had nowhere to go, and genuinely felt bad about using Chaz as a launch ramp (not so bad he didn't remount and finish 3rd though).

Edited by KenONeill

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I am mega interested in this topic as I am a born again biker who hasn't owned a bike since 2007 when I 'emigrated'  to Australia.

My Bike history is suzuki ap50, yamaha yds7 250, kawasaki kh400, honda ns400r.

The pull to ride another bike is strong but I am thinking I am bit fed up about an old 2 stroke classic and coming around to an r3, kawasaki 300 ninja, or ktm rc390 (left field choice). I want something a bit like my ns400r which was a japanese import and not derestricted (i think) in being relatively light and nippy plus being a modern bike being more reliable and easier to service and get parts for. I have a full bike license so an sv650s  might be an option but maybe a bit to heavy/ fast.

I am 56yrs old quite fit active and alert kinda person.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Best wishes,

John

7 hours ago, john2017 said:

Hi.

I am mega interested in this topic as I am a born again biker who hasn't owned a bike since 2007 when I 'emigrated'  to Australia.

My Bike history is suzuki ap50, yamaha yds7 250, kawasaki kh400, honda ns400r.

The pull to ride another bike is strong but I am thinking I am bit fed up about an old 2 stroke classic and coming around to an r3, kawasaki 300 ninja, or ktm rc390 (left field choice). I want something a bit like my ns400r which was a japanese import and not derestricted (i think) in being relatively light and nippy plus being a modern bike being more reliable and easier to service and get parts for. I have a full bike license so an sv650s  might be an option but maybe a bit to heavy/ fast.

I am 56yrs old quite fit active and alert kinda person.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Best wishes,

John

The R3 starts of as a nice bike, as does the new R6, put to release its full potential and be the fun that an NSR400 was it needs some additional investment.

The exhaust on the R3 and R6 needs replacing to eliminate the Catalytic converter which both releases about another 5% more power and loose a kilo or two.

In my view the brake of the R3 needs uprating as it is a bit weedy.

There is a huge parts  bin of race parts now there is the WSS 300 series and they race them in series in Australia, the States and the WSS300.

Traded in my SV650S for the R3 and happy with the move.  Running cost are super low as fuel economy is amazing, insurance and road tax tiny.

Handling great, go try one.  R3 comes out on top in the class in most reviews.        

Lol-lol thx for your reply.

I dropped into local yamaha dealer but he didn't have an r3. Instead I tried for size an mt03 and the seat seemed to make me slide forward and I wouldn't like to think of what this would do to the wedding tackle. I then sat on an mt07 and mt07 tracer and seemed to get away from what I would like which is something that feels like a 1970's 250cc 2 stroke but with modern conveniences. The R3 outputs a considerable 40 bhp which is similar to  a late 1970's rd400 which I once saw almost as a superbike.

Have you got a link to a website that sells interesting aftermarket parts please?

I might take a refresher day at a training school soon as I haven't ridden since about 2007.

Best wishes,

John

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, john2017 said:

Lol-lol thx for your reply.

I dropped into local yamaha dealer but he didn't have an r3. Instead I tried for size an mt03 and the seat seemed to make me slide forward and I wouldn't like to think of what this would do to the wedding tackle. I then sat on an mt07 and mt07 tracer and seemed to get away from what I would like which is something that feels like a 1970's 250cc 2 stroke but with modern conveniences. The R3 outputs a considerable 40 bhp which is similar to  a late 1970's rd400 which I once saw almost as a superbike.

Have you got a link to a website that sells interesting aftermarket parts please?

I might take a refresher day at a training school soon as I haven't ridden since about 2007.

Best wishes,

John

MT03 is the twin sister of the R3 but without the pretty frock.  R3's riding position is surprisingly upright sitting position and comfortable in town and on the run.

I test road the MT07 and MT09..  MT07 left me fairly cold but the MT09 was really good fun and if wanted to spend that much money on buying and running such a bike the 09 would be on the short list.

As I said I think the R3 needs a few hundred pounds/$ spent on it, de-cat'ed etc to make it more fun and individual.  

It starts at 0-62 mph (1000 kph) in 5 seconds and can get a few tenths of that with mods.  I am not interested in going over a ton and the speeding fines for doing so are now astronomical.