World Super Bikes & Super SPort 300 series

lol-lol

Doing some more pre-reading and investigation on the web and came across this interesting how to video about setting the hi-vis led warning of where in the revs to change up and you can actually set your own redline ie 7K for running in and then anywhere up to 13,500 rpm in 500 rev steps via the dashboard......  

Yeah similar to what the Aprilia's have. Its pretty good actually. Can still see it flashing in the corner of your eye when you're going for it

A few years back I had a Yamaha R46 (Rossi Sun and Moon R6) that had this feature, very useful when running in as these engines rev so freely.

• Like 1

A few years back I had a Yamaha R46 (Rossi Sun and Moon R6) that had this feature, very useful when running in as these engines rev so freely.

I am too big and not flexible enough anymore for R1/R6 and the price has gone up to £10K and an R1 is £15K and R3 is actually more roomy than either plus I would probably die on them.

Looking forward to Rossi and Vinales hopefully doing the business in MotoGP, if I can get BTSport of play ball and not rip me off. 

Cheesy launch video with Lorenzo and Vale.. 

Looking forward to Rossi and Vinales hopefully doing the business in MotoGP, if I can get BTSport of play ball and not rip me off. 

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

You have to think also of realistically how much power you need for the road. Revving things out is fun but you're going silly fast on an R1 to do that and all the time you're living with less comfort.

Riding a slower bike fast is much more fun than riding a fast bike slow imo.

Can never believe R1's are £15k either :D.

• Like 1

You have to think also of realistically how much power you need for the road. Revving things out is fun but you're going silly fast on an R1 to do that and all the time you're living with less comfort.

Riding a slower bike fast is much more fun than riding a fast bike slow imo.

Can never believe R1's are £15k either :D.

Enough power to make the front end go light without being dangerous that is usually my criteria and quicker accelerating that most pseudo hot/warm hatches.  

Similarly quick to a Focus RS/ST up to an indicated 80 mph is a yardstick for me which the R3 sits in the middle of.

The exchange rate has got so bad since BREXIT that Japanese/ Far East/US/EU made bikes and cars are going up 10-20% in prices since July until the manufacturers are not losing money on each sale.  The R3 was going up around 6% I think this January, so even more so.

My SV was as quick as my 100 hp Fazer with the detuned R6 engine down the lanes only noticeable slower on the carriageway off roundabouts etc. 

Enough power to make the front end go light without being dangerous that is usually my criteria and quicker accelerating that most pseudo hot/warm hatches.  

Similarly quick to a Focus RS/ST up to an indicated 80 mph is a yardstick for me which the R3 sits in the middle of.

The exchange rate has got so bad since BREXIT that Japanese/ Far East/US/EU made bikes and cars are going up 10-20% in prices since July until the manufacturers are not losing money on each sale.  The R3 was going up around 6% I think this January, so even more so.

My SV was as quick as my 100 hp Fazer with the detuned R6 engine down the lanes only noticeable slower on the carriageway off roundabouts etc. 

You can pop the front end up off the line on pretty much anythin though ;) :D. 

Warm/Hot hatches are becoming a tricky situation i think. There was a day when a bike would blast off everything by miles n that was that, but bloody hell are hatches getting quicker. My uncles got a Golf R DSG n i've been out in it... 300bhp n its bloody quick for a Golf. I found it quite strange, i had the VFR at the time i went out in it and i'd just come back from a fast ride, so the R didnt seem breath taking but it was fast. Strange in a way because it was quiet n smooth like a 2.0TDI Golf, just went like buggery when you floored it. Dont get me wrong, its still slow compared to every big bike i've ever had... but they're catching up... 

Yeah most of em are going up i think mate. A good time to buy. Nice one!

Has the R3 got a quickshifter? ;) 

I never remember finding my SV slow, but then its relevant to what you're used to at the time. If i rode it directly after the Tuono, id of likely been bored within 10 metres... but at the time it was mega. I did sell it on my beg for more power... VFR... Tuono... but then i realised it was pointless cos i was doing stupid speeds everywhere and wheelying past everything on the Tuono... so i stopped that hunt and screwed on my 'sensible road bike' head back on. Ended up with the Tracer. Still fun and fast.... doesnt give my head warp vision though. 

• Like 1

I've had 2 Honda Blackbirds (carb and EFI) and they were mentally fast, 6000 rpm in top and it was like going into warp drive, everything disappeared in your mirrors!

It was a great tool for destroying boy racers of the time in the traffic light Grand Prix in their Fords, BMWs and Vauxhalls, from memory it would do 70mph in 1st gear lol

The brilliant thing about them was they were really docile around town although the throttle was a bit snatchy on the EFI version especially with all the sleeping policemen/traffic calming measure in London, snatchy throttles seem to be common on EFI Honda's as my 1300 Pan European was the same.

It got to the point with the Blackbird that you were always spending more time looking out for speed cameras, speed traps and the old bill that the enjoyment was being taken away, I'd come back and take my 883R Sportster out that was Stage 1 tuned with Dynajet kit, K&N air filter and 2 into 1 Screamin Eagle pipes and set off all the car alarms down the road have a real hoot and probably go no faster than 50mph and come back with a big smile on my face :D

Edited by Prykey

I've had 2 Honda Blackbirds (carb and EFI) and they were mentally fast, 6000 rpm in top and it was like going into warp drive, everything disappeared in your mirrors!

It was a great tool for destroying boy racers of the time in the traffic light Grand Prix in their Fords, BMWs and Vauxhalls, from memory it would do 70mph in 1st gear lol

The brilliant thing about them was they were really docile around town although the throttle was a bit snatchy on the EFI version especially with all the sleeping policemen/traffic calming measure in London, snatchy throttles seem to be common on EFI Honda's as my 1300 Pan European was the same.

It got to the point with the Blackbird that you were always spending more time looking out for speed cameras, speed traps and the old bill that the enjoyment was being taken away, I'd come back and take my 883R Sportster out that was Stage 1 tuned with Dynajet kit, K&N air filter and 2 into 1 Screamin Eagle pipes and set off all the car alarms down the road have a real hoot and probably go no faster than 50mph and come back with a big smile on my face :D

Ah they're awesome bikes. I did think about buying one in the past but didnt, however i'd still buy one. Going cheap as chips now and massive performance for the money. The Blackbird is a bird of pray afterall ;). Some link to that and the Busa isnt their, in the name... but i cant remember exactly what it is. 

The BB will still destroy most stuff on the road today, but again, its how fast dya wanna go isnt it. You only get recorded now n banned for using the power. 

A mate of mine had a BB n said it didnt even feel like it was starting to move until 130mph...

• Like 1

Ah they're awesome bikes. I did think about buying one in the past but didnt, however i'd still buy one. Going cheap as chips now and massive performance for the money. The Blackbird is a bird of pray afterall ;). Some link to that and the Busa isnt their, in the name... but i cant remember exactly what it is. 

The BB will still destroy most stuff on the road today, but again, its how fast dya wanna go isnt it. You only get recorded now n banned for using the power. 

A mate of mine had a BB n said it didnt even feel like it was starting to move until 130mph...

The Huyabusa is named after a Japanese Peregrine Falcon that feeds on Blackbirds

Thats it. 

Top man. 

So the Busa was designed to eat the BB, which was the fastest bike when it first came out? 

If my memory serves me well the original Hayabusa was rumoured to hit the magic 200mph as was the Kawasaki ZX12 which came out just after the Hayabusa, the UK Government started getting twitchy about 200 mph motorcycles and started talking about limiting BHP in the same way that France and other European Countries did/still do. The major players (Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) came to a Gentlemen's Agreement to limit Maximum Speed to 186 mph which fortunately for Honda already was the maximum for the Blackbird so later Hayabusa's and ZX12's were limited to meet the agreement.

If my memory serves me well the original Hayabusa was rumoured to hit the magic 200mph as was the Kawasaki ZX12 which came out just after the Hayabusa, the UK Government started getting twitchy about 200 mph motorcycles and started talking about limiting BHP in the same way that France and other European Countries did/still do. The major players (Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) came to a Gentlemen's Agreement to limit Maximum Speed to 186 mph which fortunately for Honda already was the maximum for the Blackbird so later Hayabusa's and ZX12's were limited to meet the agreement.

The benchmark quick bikes have to be the Kawasakis over the past few years.  The ZZR1400 has been the quickest production bike since 2012  being able to quarter mile under 9.5 seconds and now the Kawasaki H2 is the fastest production bike giving Kawasaki a 5th year as producing the fastest road bike and quite possibly the fastest/quickest road vehicle available.

Two problems usually exist if one takes one bike over to German for a top run blip, same as most German built/spec'd cars.  First the bike is limited electronically to 300 kph/186 mph, cars to 250kph/155 mph so the electronic constrictor will kick in at these speeds even a Octy TSI VRS can hit this issue.  Secondly most bikes, even with sufficient horsepower to hit 190 mph+ are not geared for it.  I tend to alter the gearing to longer on most bikes I own, a tooth up on the front or 2 or three teeth of the back sprocket as I prefer the longer gearing that what is standard.

As there is usually a wind of some sort most of the time the higher gearing can take advantage of this and often give better fuel consumption and opportunity to get that top speed one might not expect.  The R3 is reckoned to only get to a genuine 175 kph but I reckon in the right conditions and gearing I will see 200 kph on the speedo (even electronic speedos seem to over read by 5% for some reason that only the manufacturer knows).   

Edited by lol-lol

Ah okay. Thats interesting. Nice one!

Similar to the big cars n limiting em to 155 then?

• Like 1

The benchmark quick bikes have to be the Kawasakis over the past few years. The ZZR1400 has been the quickest production bike since 2012 being able to quarter mile under 9.5 seconds and now the Kawasaki H2 is the fastest production bike giving Kawasaki a 5th year as producing the fastest road bike and quite possibly the fastest/quickest road vehicle available.

Two problems usually exist if one takes one bike over to German for a top run blip, same as most German built/spec'd cars. First the bike is limited electronically to 300 kph/186 mph, cars to 250kph/155 mph so the electronic constrictor will kick in at these speeds even a Octy TSI VRS can hit this issue. Secondly most bikes, even with sufficient horsepower to hit 190 mph+ are not geared for it. I tend to alter the gearing to longer on most bikes I own, a tooth up on the front or 2 or three teeth of the back sprocket as I prefer the longer gearing that what is standard.

As there is usually a wind of some sort most of the time the higher gearing can take advantage of this and often give better fuel consumption and opportunity to get that top speed one might not expect. The R3 is reckoned to only get to a genuine 175 kph but I reckon in the right conditions and gearing I will see 200 kph on the speedo (even electronic speedos seem to over read by 5% for some reason that only the manufacturer knows).

You can usually get a reflash to remove the restrictor n get it running abit richer though ;).

Yeah they all over read dont they. Tracer over reads more than most ive had tbh but apparently theres software on the flashing equipment which can rectify that too.

Ah okay. Thats interesting. Nice one!

Similar to the big cars n limiting em to 155 then?

Yerp.

One of the interesting vids on the H2R (0-400 kph (250 mph) in 26 seconds)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1OWP-YBtsw

Edited by lol-lol

Will be good to see how you get on with it, I have a riot on my scooter, 33bhp and CVT tranny but it's just a laugh to hoon about on. 

You can pop the front end up off the line on pretty much anythin though ;) :D. 

Warm/Hot hatches are becoming a tricky situation i think. There was a day when a bike would blast off everything by miles n that was that, but bloody hell are hatches getting quicker. My uncles got a Golf R DSG n i've been out in it... 300bhp n its bloody quick for a Golf. I found it quite strange, i had the VFR at the time i went out in it and i'd just come back from a fast ride, so the R didnt seem breath taking but it was fast. Strange in a way because it was quiet n smooth like a 2.0TDI Golf, just went like buggery when you floored it. Dont get me wrong, its still slow compared to every big bike i've ever had... but they're catching up... 

I was thinking about this the other day, my mates just got a M140i, it looks like a 118d M sport but has 335bhp and in the real world, it'd be with me on the CB or very close most of the time. It's 0-60 is only half a second slower than his old M3  :D

Will be good to see how you get on with it, I have a riot on my scooter, 33bhp and CVT tranny but it's just a laugh to hoon about on.

I was thinking about this the other day, my mates just got a M140i, it looks like a 118d M sport but has 335bhp and in the real world, it'd be with me on the CB or very close most of the time. It's 0-60 is only half a second slower than his old M3 :D

Its getting abit bonkers isnt it :D.

The m140 is a lovely motor. Bet hes lovin it?

A Golf R is only £30k so a right car for the money, if a little boring imo. So not out of reach for many, especially combined with the PCP culture.

They're catching. Slowly. There was talk of an R400 too but that seems to have gone for now.

You have to know what you're looking at at the lights dont you. Or an m140 could catch you off guard :D.

Its getting abit bonkers isnt it :D.

The m140 is a lovely motor. Bet hes lovin it?

A Golf R is only £30k so a right car for the money, if a little boring imo. So not out of reach for many, especially combined with the PCP culture.

They're catching. Slowly. There was talk of an R400 too but that seems to have gone for now.

You have to know what you're looking at at the lights dont you. Or an m140 could catch you off guard :D.

Yeah, one has just picked his up, another mate is just looking at one to buy in a few months. Thats what makes the 140 so mad, I've found pre reg cars for £26,000 with 10 miles on them! 

Yeah, one has just picked his up, another mate is just looking at one to buy in a few months. Thats what makes the 140 so mad, I've found pre reg cars for £26,000 with 10 miles on them!

Tempting isnt it. You cant get much for £26k car wise compared to that.

Octavia vrs yeah, but theres no competition is there

Still stick with bikes though. A thrill which not much can match (:

Picking up today.  Still lots of differences of opinion as to stick to manufacturer's running in or bit a bit more liberal.......

Is that you on your way home from the dealers ????    Personally i do the run in by the book, but theres always conflicting views, i agree

As temperature was barely above zero and ground a bit damp I took it really easy.   Glad to see the bike came with Michelin Sport tyres as I had heard reports of early ones coming from Thailand.

First impressions are that the bike, even compared to the SV, felt like it had almost no weight at all.  Secondly the amount of torque was something I would expect from a 500 cc bike or bigger.

As to running in I tend to not be too literally with the rev limits but more focus on not loading the engine in the early miles.  That said I have gone in to the console settings and set the upper rev indicator and red line to 7500 rpm and see how I get on with that.  Probably change it after a couple of hundred miles as it, is some ways, is a bit dangerous I feel as you would not want it intruding during an overtake manoeuvre.

Such a good range of Yamaha bikes at the moment, tried the MT07 and MT09 and liked them both too, both light and the MT09 awesome power delivery.   R3 won me over with the looks and such good value as well as such low running cost.  Hopefully still think the same in 6 and 12 months time.  

• Like 1

As temperature was barely above zero and ground a bit damp I took it really easy. Glad to see the bike came with Michelin Sport tyres as I had heard reports of early ones coming from Thailand.

First impressions are that the bike, even compared to the SV, felt like it had almost no weight at all. Secondly the amount of torque was something I would expect from a 500 cc bike or bigger.

As to running in I tend to not be too literally with the rev limits but more focus on not loading the engine in the early miles. That said I have gone in to the console settings and set the upper rev indicator and red line to 7500 rpm and see how I get on with that. Probably change it after a couple of hundred miles as it, is some ways, is a bit dangerous I feel as you would not want it intruding during an overtake manoeuvre.

Such a good range of Yamaha bikes at the moment, tried the MT07 and MT09 and liked them both too, both light and the MT09 awesome power delivery. R3 won me over with the looks and such good value as well as such low running cost. Hopefully still think the same in 6 and 12 months time.

Dno if theyre the same compound but i had michelin sporty tyres on a CG years ago. They were ace. Im sure you'll like them if they are (:

The weight of the bike should be key. Power to weight n agility. Its where its at.

Running in is tough. Esp with smaller engines. Not too bad with big stuff but the smaller the harder. Depends how well you wanna follow it to the book too.

The MT range has brought Yam back imo. I never saw anythin i wanted tbh, before the mt range. The 900 triple is a good'en, better than Triumphs 1050 by a country mile in my opinion. Its fast, torquey all over n very responsive. Doesnt set the world on fire like some engines but its a good spread of torque n power. Ace for road riding, in my opinion. Its all very selective isnt it.

Dno if theyre the same compound but i had michelin sporty tyres on a CG years ago. They were ace. Im sure you'll like them if they are (:  The weight of the bike should be key. Power to weight n agility. Its where its at.

Running in is tough. Esp with smaller engines. Not too bad with big stuff but the smaller the harder. Depends how well you wanna follow it to the book too.  

The MT range has brought Yam back imo. I never saw anythin i wanted tbh, before the mt range. The 900 triple is a good'en, better than Triumphs 1050 by a country mile in my opinion. Its fast, torquey all over n very responsive. Doesnt set the world on fire like some engines but its a good spread of torque n power. Ace for road riding, in my opinion. Its all very selective isnt it.

Well was chuffed they were Michelins as I generally rate this brand as the best in bikes or cars.  Will have a closer look to see if they are Pilot Sport made in Far East or European.  I would not be surprised if Far East which might mean they are a bit hard ie made for higher ambient temperatures and not ideally suited to cold and wet Northern Europe so they may need to be changed.

Agree about the MTs and up to a month or two ago I it was either the MT07 or MT09 that I was heading for, I rode both, thought the MT07 was a good bike but did not excite me, loved the MT09.  Somewhat scarred myself when riding with a pillion when the front end went light at around 50 mph just as first gear was running out.  Loved the lowish weight, the engine.  The Tracer version adds bits that adds much positive aspects.

In the end, as I like my MotoGP and Rossi and Vinales, the looks, the actually fairly sat up riding position and the many raves reviews sold me on the R3.  Only done a dozen miles so far but I do not think running in will be so bad.  Have not got in to sixth yet and the engine is torquey and with about 10 mph per 1000 revs the 7000/7500 redline in the first phase of running in will not be a chore.  One thing I do during running in is not to cruise at set speeds so I will use the A roads and not the motorways and enjoy the curves.  Feels like it will keep up with traffic even when just using the bottom half of the rev range.

Edited by lol-lol

Well was chuffed they were Michelins as I generally rate this brand as the best in bikes or cars. Will have a closer look to see if they are Pilot Sport made in Far East or European. I would not be surprised if Far East which might mean they are a bit hard ie made for higher ambient temperatures and not ideally suited to cold and wet Northern Europe so they may need to be changed.

Agree about the MTs and up to a month or two ago I it was either the MT07 or MT09 that I was heading for, I rode both, thought the MT07 was a good bike but did not excite me, loved the MT09. Somewhat scarred myself when riding with a pillion when the front end went light at around 50 mph just as first gear was running out. Loved the lowish weight, the engine. The Tracer version adds bits that adds much positive aspects.

In the end, as I like my MotoGP and Rossi and Vinales, the looks, the actually fairly sat up riding position and the many raves reviews sold me on the R3. Only done a dozen miles so far but I do not think running in will be so bad. Have not got in to sixth yet and the engine is torquey and with about 10 mph per 1000 revs the 7000/7500 redline in the first phase of running in will not be a chore. One thing I do during running in is not to cruise at set speeds so I will use the A roads and not the motorways and enjoy the curves. Feels like it will keep up with traffic even when just using the bottom half of the rev range.

Certainly looks a lovely bike. Looks great.

Yeah itll be fine. Its plenty powerful enough to still have good poke at light throttle uses. I meant like, running in a 1.0 car or a 125. Nightmare :D.

Cruisin at any speed is a big no no isnt it. Thats the bit i atruggled with tbh. Esp when on dual carriageways n motorways.

Puttin some pictures up of yours? ;) :D.

Edited by fabiamk2SE