New Tyres for Yeti 4x4 Diesel

survey

Does that vary much between manufacturers and each of their tyres. Not talking about racing slicks or extreme m&s tyres etc just run of the mill ones. My Yeti came with Pirelli P7's and they are all 4 down to a tad over 6mm in the first year = 6,400 miles. When it's time to replace them I'll be going 'all season'. The local tyre depot I always use normally have Hankooks on at a good price and I was very happy with the last set I bought (Hankook Optimo).

On my mercedes at the last tyre change I noted that Continentals have dropped their new tyre depth again, from an original 8mm, down previous time to 7.5 mm and last change down to 7mm. Rip-off comes to mind.

On my mercedes at the last tyre change I noted that Continentals have dropped their new tyre depth again, from an original 8mm, down previous time to 7.5 mm and last change down to 7mm. Rip-off comes to mind.

It's only a rip-off if the compound has the same wear rate. You may well find it's a harder wearing compound to offset the small reduction in tread depth.

• Like 1

It's the product of industrial chemists as much as anything else.........compound, carcass structure. tread pattern even wind resistance come into ticking all the performance boxes.

• Like 1

Ryeman - Goodyears come with 8mm tread!

That's incorrect.  Goodyears come in increments of 1/32" varying between 9/32" (7.1mm) to 12/32" (9.5mm).  The majority are in the size you suggest -  10/32"  (7.9mm).  My boss used to say they made it 10/32" so that we didn't have to start counting on our toes when doing a warranty claim.  Goodyear steadfastly stick with imperial tread depth sizes courtesy of head office in Akron.

Does that vary much between manufacturers and each of their tyres. Not talking about racing slicks or extreme m&s tyres etc just run of the mill ones. My Yeti came with Pirelli P7's and they are all 4 down to a tad over 6mm in the first year = 6,400 miles. When it's time to replace them I'll be going 'all season'. The local tyre depot I always use normally have Hankooks on at a good price and I was very happy with the last set I bought (Hankook Optimo).

The worst I've seen is 5.5mm on a Michelin PSS - but that was unusual, even for them.

If you want a deep tread depth and really long life then look at Cooper tyres.  A lot of their products come out with extra tread depth of between 9.5mm-11.5mm in the Yeti's size.  The Tread wear ratings are fairly high - between 450-700.

Of course, there's a trade-off.  The extra tread depth means the rubber tread blocks move around a bit more so the steering may not feel quite as responsive on turn-in and a harder tread compound may not be quite as grippy.

This is why I like the Michelin PS3 & the Goodyear F1A2 - they are both good all-rounders and get reasonable mileage

Less rolling resistance comes from, for one important factor, less 'working' of the tread pattern.

That may, however, be offset with less depth of pattern .....our Pug's economy tyres don't seem to have the same depth of tread as my Dunlops did.

Part of the reduction in rolling resistance is the chemical mix in the rubber.  There is often a trade-off in grip and braking performance but the latest tyres seem to have improved over the last few years.

My Pug's Goodyear Efficientgrip after 13,500km have only 3.5mm clear of the wear bars on the rear which have never been rotated

3.0mm on the front and driven for economy.

They looked like a half worn set from new.

Edited by Ryeman

My Pug's Goodyear Efficientgrip after 13,500km have only 3.5mm clear of the wear bars on the rear which have never been rotated

3.0mm on the front and driven for economy.

They looked like a half worn set from new.

I think they would have been 9/32" (7mm).  I'm surprised the rears are wearing almost as fast as the fronts.  50% worn after 13500km doesn't sound great if driven conservatively.  Get some Primacy3 next time - about $130 each.

I think they would have been 9/32" (7mm).  I'm surprised the rears are wearing almost as fast as the fronts.  50% worn after 13500km doesn't sound great if driven conservatively.  Get some Primacy3 next time - about $130 each.

Agree Brad

It was a demo with just ~ 250kms and I must remember to ask the dealer why they look half worn.

Primacy3 - are they eco tyres?

Brad1.8t - I asked Goodyear the depth of new tread for my Yeti size and they have emailed me that it is 8mm.

Is that above the wear indicators or full depth?.

That's a good point. Not sure.  But I always check the start depth and for me that is total depth - to below the wear indicators. As I said on my MB the OEM tyres weer Contineantal 8mm full depth, next set I bought of Continentals it was less than 7mm.  Kumhos I have on a car (that seem to be wearing well) had a total depth of 7.5mm.

It would be full depth, my Goodyear all season where 8mm full depth, snow bar at 4mm.  

My Yeti has done 23k on a set of Dunlops (2.3mm left) which is great news as my tyre normally last about 15k normally. I am really dying to try out the new Michelin Cross Climate for a yeti I think these could be even better. 

Our V40 is booked in at the end of the month to have a set of Cross Climates fitted in place of the factory Bridgestone T001. By chance they are the same size as the Yeti on 17" rims, being 225/50 R17 94V.

So if anyone is looking for some part worn Bridgestones give me a shout  :D

TP

Brad1.8t - I asked Goodyear the depth of new tread for my Yeti size and they have emailed me that it is 8mm.

Your Yeti tyres in your particular size and tread pattern might well be 8mm (they'll be 7.9mm but I can understand the rounding) but your comment in post 73 implies that all Goodyears have 8mm tread which is incorrect.

Agree Brad

It was a demo with just ~ 250kms and I must remember to ask the dealer why they look half worn.

Primacy3 - are they eco tyres?

primacy3 are a touring focused tyre. I'm not sure if they have "eco" or "blue" or "green" in their official label. I had the Primacy HP in 225/55r16 on the Octy and they performed as good as I needed and lasted for 75,000km. My wife screams a lot and grips the Jesus handle quite tightly when i drive, so they must be pretty good. I believe the Primacy3 is slightly better than the HP so I figure it's not a bad tyre for us old blokes.

Michelin do an Eco-tyre called the Energy. We had Energy XM on the 2x Avensis Verso we had. For a tyre that looked very old fashioned & skinny they held the road a lot longer than you'd expect. We used to cover a lot of miles very quickly when we had those cars.

Always full depth

As posted earlier, changed my Pirelli's Wednesday for Michelin CrossClimates.

Old tyres on 4mm front & 3.5mm rear at 37000+ miles.

The C/Cs seem quieter. Have yet to see if mpg changes.

Still here and thinking of replacing my Nokian eNtyres 215/60 R16 99Vs with Michelin CCs or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 (if I can find them locally).

Not much snow here since 2010 so wet and dry performance probably more important. Any comments?

Finebone:  If you're running on 16" rims, you might care to have a look at the Kleber 'Quadraxer' (AFAIK still not available at 17").  See http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/?p=3967684 for my story.  I put them on in August last year to replace the disappointing OEM Conti's.  The Klebers were at 7mm all round, all over, at the one-year mark which makes me a happy man!  Apart from snow (not seen any yet - nothing last winter!), grip is excellent; One brief squeak back in the Spring was considerably shorter than m'Lady's rebuke for a rather quick corner ;) ...

• 3 years later...

I've been running a set of Cooper SX5 Grand Touring's for the last 6 months, having gone up from 50 to 55 series 225- 17's.  So far I am impressed with the handling and certainly the wear.  The couple of times I have been off road they seem to have performed well.