What do you tell the Insurance when you have Chipped (Jabba'ed) your Octavia

Aaquil

Right...there is an Octavia Silver in the 'For Sale' Section if I bought it with it being Jabba'ed (Which I kind of wanted anyway but not right now) how do you tell them in terms of increased BHP and all that so you don't get totally taken to the cleaners but it is all legal. I am with 'Admiral' by the way.

Thanks to all

Aaquil.

It probably varies from insurer to insurer, but mine just asks for bhp.

They don't care whether it's a "chip" or "remap" or "reprogrammed ECU" or whatever, what they need to assess is the risk due to the extra bhp.

I'd stick my neck out and say any insurer who quotes different premiums whether you say chip or remap doesn't really know what it's all about ;)

Agree with Xav.

I went with Brentacre to deal with my mod, and although there was some discussion (so you're having a chip fitted? no, a remap...)

IN the end, they just said "what's the bhp going to be?"

and we settled on no more than 170...... which may or may not be true....

Someone mentioned the BHP at the wheels rather than the flywheel is that okay to do that? Do they want BHP right to the last digit or approximate? Please help out asap if you guys can because I could get an opportunity to get a Jabba'ed Octavia as an exchange car to replace my problem Octy and I need to know what to tell the Insurance company so that I do not get a straight "NO"

Thanks

I had a conversation with Direct Line just before I had my remap done. The nice lady on the phone told me that because I wasnt fitting any new parts to the car it wasnt a modification. I asked for written confirmation but sadly the only letter they sent was a quote for a premium increase for a "chip".

Interestingly, Sainsburys did write to me to confirm that the Bailey DV was not a "modification" because I had told them it was a different part because the standard ones were prone to failure - I had told them about the remap prior to this.

Admiral quote in 3 different levels of BHP increase.

as admiral own elephant the set up is the same im with admiral and its done on a power percentage increase... as match maker said...

joel

Just to add you should base the percentage increase on your 'before' RR figure not the manufacturers standard figure.

The 4X4 loses out a bit on percentage bhp increases when it comes to insurance. Assuming a remap from 150 to 220bhp, that would be an increase of 46%. The same remap for a vRS would be an increase in bhp of only 22%. If the remap is to 230bhp, the figures are 53% and 28% respectively. Whilst the 4X4 is in Group 14 and the vRS in Group 16, a remapped 4X4 could end up more expensive to insure than a similarly remapped vRS. Fortunately I am still with LiverpoolVictoria. (PS: I declared 230bhp).

did they make a saloon 4x4? i thought they only came in estate version?

They did an estate and a hatchback, the estate is much more common but a few members do have the hatchback version.

So what percentage increase should I put if it is from 158BHP as standard on this car and remapped to 215BHP at the wheels BHP. Any ideas please help as I need confirmation from Insurance Company before I start messing the seller around.

Thanks for that Stuart but the team sourcing me a car (?) would not accept a modified car (see other long, long winded thread)...BOO HOO. Oh well good to know for the future.

Aaquil.

First time I asked how much extra for chipped car, Tesco thought I'd damaged it. Couldn't understand what I was asking. Then recently I asked Norwich Union the same question and they didn't understand chipping or remapping. They thought I was adding a part to the engine - took ages to explain it - she kept putting me on hold to check with other people. They reckoned about