Petrol 1.8 TSI + DSG - Advice Please

Our dearly loved 2006 L&K 2.0 PD diesel Octavia Estate is due for replacement by another Skoda which will last us up to 10 years - after which we'll probably be mobile on electric buggies! No. 2 son will inherit our current car, which is excellent fettle (unlike his own clapped-out 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso, which is now a bag of bolts).

We'll probably go for another L&K estate, which seems to have everything one could need. However I have two questions:

1) We need to have an automatic = DSG. However I'd prefer a petrol engine this time on account of greater smoothness/quietness/lowish annual mileage. However the local Skoda dealer said the 1.8 petrol TSI + DSG was an unusual combination and couldn't locate a demonstrator. I think this is probably because most buyers are interested in economy and opt for a low MPG diesel or 1.4 TSI - but has anyone experience of the 1.8 TSI + DSG combination? I'm looking after calm progression (and must say I am a bit worried about ride with the 18" wheels on the L&K).

2)  Having perused the Octavia brochure, can't find any mention of the ability to change from a RHD to a LHD beam pattern via Maxidot, which seems to have featured on Octavias and Superbs in the past. Is this still an option?

Grateful for all and any advice before I punt a lot of money on a new car!

John

I'm fully satisfied with my O3 estate 1.8 TSI with DSG. I've just reached 30000km.

It is a very performant and comfortable car and the DSG suits this engine very well.

I can' t however feedback for the 18" wheels as mine is an Elegance with 17"...

Hi John,

I've just taken delivery of a brand new L&K last month, albeit a hatch and diesel. Understand why you want to look at a petrol, but don't forget the diesel will probably hold its value better in the long term.

All I can say is the new 2.0 TDI 150, coupled with DSG is refined, smooth and has a decent amount of poke when you need it.

The ride is very good also, after stepping out of a 63 plate Mazda 6 (which has a very good ride, and is probably it's only positive!!) the Octavia is almost up there with it - motorway ride is excellent, but it's not as good as the Mazda around town, but the Mazda only had 17's with a huge profile on the tyre!

Definitely go for a new L&K, definitely go for DSG, and I don't think you'd be disappointed whether you went for diesel or petrol.

Hope it helps!

2)  Having perused the Octavia brochure, can't find any mention of the ability to change from a RHD to a LHD beam pattern via Maxidot, which seems to have featured on Octavias and Superbs in the past. Is this still an option?

Hi John, I'm sure there is a tourist mode on my VRS that flattens the beam for traveling on the wrong side of the road  :happy:

Being the L&K I assume it will have the active xenon lights, so should be there.

Hi John, I'm sure there is a tourist mode on my VRS that flattens the beam for traveling on the wrong side of the road  :happy:

Being the L&K I assume it will have the active xenon lights, so should be there.

I was under the impression it was automatic, based on the Sat Nav, Mike? Or Have I been ill informed? Sure there was a thread on here somewhere...will try and find it!

I was under the impression it was automatic, based on the Sat Nav, Mike? Or Have I been ill informed? Sure there was a thread on here somewhere...will try and find it!

Maybe pal, I would have to have a look .

I can just remember reading it when I got the car but was almost 2 years ago now, can't believe how time flies.

Hey ,

I have a 1.8 tsi ,although I live in India and certain features , may be different , the car is awesome .

The dsg is an amazing quick shifting gearbox which makes driving a breeze. In my country the 1.8 oil burner produces 180bhp, which is fantastic and puts a smile on my face each time I floor it.

On the bolero units we have in our country it's easy to change the travel mode via the head unit itself.

In my honest opinion the 1.8 tsi is a great car!

Cheers

Abhi

• Like 1

I have a MY2015 1,8TSI 4x4 Dsg L&K. And I love it.

Dont worry about about the 18" rims, on bad Norwegian roads the car just as comfortable as my previous car (2004 Mondeo with 16" rims).

Its a quiet and smooth engine, but when you floor it, the sleeper awakens.

And it shifts the lightpattern automatically when crossing the border to a country with lhd/rhd.

Edited by Gromle
  • Like 2

I have a MY2015 1,8TSI 4x4 Dsg L&K. And I love it.

Dont worry about about the 18" rims, on bad Norwegian roads the car just as comfortable as my previous car (2004 Mondeo with 16" rims).

Its a quiet and smooth engine, but when you floor it, the sleeper awakens.

And it shifts the lightpattern automatically when crossing the border to a country with lhd/rhd.

Knew I was right about the light thing  :D

I have an 8 month old 1.8 Tsi DSG L&K estate and can say that I am very pleased with the car. I have only put on 4,500 miles so far and 3,000 miles was on a journey to Spain a couple of months ago.

The car performed very well on our long trip being quite sporty when required and is a good cruiser.

The L&K is full of boys toys some of which I found very useful on our long journey. In particular the active cruise control worked well as did lane control which kept me within the lines if I drifted. There was also the feature of road sign recognition which was very useful to keep within local speed limits.

One of the upgrades I specified was to have the Columbus Infotainment system which has a very good satnav so not sure whether it was because of this that I had some of the features.

I can confirm that when driving over to Europe the headlight adjustment is automatic. When we arrived in Calais from the tunnel a message appeared on the maxidot screen advising that the headlights had been adjusted for European travel. This message appeared when starting the engine along our route so very clever. I assume that now back in the UK the headlights have been changed back but I have not had a screen message telling me.

My previous car was a Superb hatch with the 2.0 Diesel engine and DSG. This was also a good car but due to the fact that I did very little mileage I was concerned with the diesel particulate filter regeneration which could cause a major problem with such low mileage so this time I opted for a petrol engine.

I don't know where you are located but if anywhere near coastal West Sussex I would be more than pleased to take you out so you could see how it performs.

• Like 1