Confused or conned?

To the Ors, looks like we are both in the same boat ay mate? I really don't understand why the previous owner opted for variable when he was only gonna do 4k a year. Its better to have a more conventional oil for short journeys and when not being used daily than longlife and cheaper i believe. I'm going to change to fixed service soon whatever, then you know where you are. But even then i think upto 10k between oil changes is to much,i've always changed my oil about every 5k with all my previous turbocharged cars,i believe regular changes with for example, GTX magnatec pays in the end,if you are after increased engine and turbo life.Keep that oil nice and fresh, and the bits of debris and sludge out. Just that we can't afford to over service at a main dealer, so i get a private mechanic to do it. :)