Confused or conned?

Hello just wondered if anyone could help? I Brought my Octy vRS 1 week ago From a Skoda dealer. Its done 12600 mls,and coming up to its 3rd b.day,its been set to variable servicing,last service was a year ago at 9650 mls. Next service is due then in a years time or 29650 mls whichevers first. The problem is that today the service warning started flashing on starting for approx 20 secs? Any ideas? :confuse:

It says " Next inspection service due at 29650 or 10/11/06 whichever comes first or following Service display" in my service book. And now my display is telling me to get it serviced, a tad early i think?!!! Weird ay?? :(

...the service warning started flashing on starting for approx 20 secs? Any ideas? :confuse:

Mine does this. It happens when you first start the car; then it goes away.

I was under the impression that this was a 'feature', designed to show that the variable service gizmo is working correctly (bit like the airbag light) & that if the car needs servicing it stays on.

Hope I'm right or mine needs a service after about 6 months!

Hello just wondered if anyone could help? I Brought my Octy vRS 1 week ago From a Skoda dealer. Its done 12600 mls,and coming up to its 3rd b.day,its been set to variable servicing,last service was a year ago at 9650 mls. Next service is due then in a years time or 29650 mls whichevers first. The problem is that today the service warning started flashing on starting for approx 20 secs? Any ideas? :confuse:

Not my old one is it? GY53 something?

This thread is in the wrong section. You may get more of a response in the 'Octavia' section which is for the mkI version. 'New Octavia' is fr the mkII. Hope you get your prob sorted though

Yeah probably will do mate but they will probably only reset it,i can do that myself. Main concern is that its clocked and is actually due a service, 12.5 k in nearly 3 years is low,and i've been told its easy to clock a digital dash. But it is mint, i think its ok. Just got a suspicious mind!! :orb_squoo

Whats the actual text on the display. Does it say inspection, or just service or something else.

The number underneath is the mileage to go till the service is due. If this is zero, then the service is now overdue.

Whatever you do, dont follow the instructions in the manual to reset the service indicator if the car is on variable servicing. Doing this resets the car to fixed servicing.

My now ex. octy vRS, has now had 3 services. 1st was at 18k miles, 2nd was at 34k miles, and the last one which is its 3rd since 2001 has just been done at 50K miles.

It does look like your car maybe on fixed, even though you/your dealer think its on variable.

As Manny says, if it needs a service it will say "Service xxxmiles" for about 10 seconds then go off. Mine is on variable and does that. Mine has been in at 23,000, 42,000, 67,000 and then at 80,000 (this one was done early as I needed a cambelt change at 80k).

Do you have the service receipts for previous services? If so, look at the price of the oil - if it was about

Oh and if you haven't driven many miles in the last week, see if you can get the dealership to do you a servis for free as it was obviously in need of one (or they forgot to reset the counter after servicing it) at the time of purchase :)

IIRC the count down is only for fixed servicing. I haven't seen it for any of the service indicators I've had.

On variable you'll see Service flash a few times then disappear. Although it 20k miles or 2 years...which ever is sooner...the engine will work out when it needs servicing by chekcing the viscocity of the oil. So if you do a lot of short journeys and drive it hard you more likley to need a service sooner....I believe.

It may be also at the last service the counter wasn't reset.

Do you know the mileage when it was last serviced at?

Angel Eyes, thanks for starting this thread; you've just highlighted the fact that my car needs a service! (makes me feel a little bit daft).

I've had my RS since August. I got it with 42,000 miles on it; it's now at 43,850 & I noticed the service indicator the other day. When I switch on the ignition the display flashes 'Service' (no numbers at all) for 20 seconds & then returns to the odometer display. I assumed that it had always done that & I'd only just noticed, but I now realise it's flagging up for a service.

My service schedule shows QG1 on the Vehicle Data & says 'Longlife s/v' in the box for 'NEXT SERVICE'. The last service was about 8900 miles & 13 months ago. Previous services seem to be at 8,000 - 9,000 mile intervals. Since 15,000Km = 9,320 miles I wonder if I've somehow ended up on Fixed Service intervals. Is there any way to tell? Is 9,000 miles about what you'd expect for variable servicing bearing in mind the car has been used a lot for short journeys?

Angel Eyes; your car has done 3,000 miles from it's service but that service was a year ago which is the interval for Fixed Service.

I guess we both need a definitive way of telling what Service Type the car is set to.

Hello TaviaRS, i didn't get any service receipts with it i'm affraid,so unfortunatly i can't check the price of the oil,i'm gonna contact the dealer about it the next few days,but i know they will say its service is not not due yet and just reset the display,whereas i can do that myself. :thumbup:

IIRC the count down is only for fixed servicing. I haven't seen it for any of the service indicators I've had.
Mine started counting down from 1000 miles about one month before reaching 2 years on variable servicing. The mileage at that stage was around 9500.

On variable you'll see Service flash a few times then disappear. Although it 20k miles or 2 years...which ever is sooner...the engine will work out when it needs servicing by chekcing the viscocity of the oil. So if you do a lot of short journeys and drive it hard you more likley to need a service sooner....I believe.

It may be also at the last service the counter wasn't reset.

Do you know the mileage when it was last serviced at?

Hello, yeah it was only serviced 3k ago 12 months ago,i know its done short trips but shouldn't be due yet i'm sure,must be a problem with the service indicator,or not been reset then??? :confused:

A dealer can interrogate the ECU and see what type of service regime the car is set up for. The same can be done easily with VAG-COM software if you live near someone with it.