Aftermarket radio help

Just fitted a pioneer Da120 in to my mk2 pre fl octavia 56 reg. Having a bit of trouble with it I know if you don't change the red and yellow witch ever way around its meant to be it should stay on when you remove the key but it don't? It turns off also when you turn the key the radio just cuts out and don't down power down?

I have a switched live from the climes control also when I turn the head lights on the radio don't dim. Now I don't know if this is because I'm using the ISO connector from my old parrot or what but it just don't seem right.

Run a switched live from the fusebox and connect the yellow wire to the standard headunits power think that should mean switching the yellow and red around. Then to get the illumination working i used the feed for the heater controls illumination.

If I do red to yellow and yellow to red the headunit loses memory and has to be set up again. but red to red and yellow to yellow it remembers all the settings. I have the switched live from the climet control unit so I'll try running from the fuse box what did you guys piggy back in to? Also if I tap in to the climet control lighting will that make the head unit dim down when I turn the lights on for night driving.

Both yellow and red in the loom are permanent - swapping them around won't do anything. Look at the wiring instructions and connect a switched live to the switched input on the head unit.

The climate can be used to get an illumination signal yes, you'll need to find the right wire to tap into by finding the one which is at 12v when the lights are on

I do have a switched live from the climet control unit. When I take the key out the unit turns off. But what I want to know is when you turn the key off there is normally a delay on the radio turning off. All others after market head units I have had before when you turn the key off it stays on and when you pull the key out the radio powers down like a computer. At the moment it just turns off and does not power down when you turn the key to the off position.

That's not what you asked the first time around :p

I have the same unit in my octavia and it turns off when you turn the key off not when you pull it. There's probably a circuit in the fusebox you could tap that's on the accessory circuit but I couldn't be arsed finding one so just had the normal switched live. The climate will be on the ignition not the accessory circuit

That's not what you asked the first time around :p

I have the same unit in my octavia and it turns off when you turn the key off not when you pull it. There's probably a circuit in the fusebox you could tap that's on the accessory circuit but I couldn't be arsed finding one so just had the normal switched live. The climate will be on the ignition not the accessory circuit

lol just read my post back and your right lol sorry

i dont suppose you could do a video of the unit powering up then after its all running take the key out. it just don't seem right to me all other units i have ever used powers down like a pc would so it doesn't corrupt any software.

what do you think of the head unit? have you used the hdmi connection to mirror the phone or just use the car play?

Mine does just switch off, it goes blank as soon as you turn the ignition off but doesn't lose any settings. I've had units previously that do this so I wouldn't worry.

I use an iPhone and have replaced the cigarette lighter with a USB socket and plug my phone on there - CarPlay works really nicely on it. Haven't tried anything with the HDMI port though

You got any pictures of it in your car. I have tested it in my car but waiting for the trims and everything to turn up. The wife brought me the unit for my birthday and didn't buy the trims :-( so I have to wait lol just wanna see what it looks like in the Octavia

My parrot key in the Octavia used to power down after turning the key off so after turning the key off it used to switch off 10 seconds after.

It has a delay, but turning the key is what starts the process.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The problem you have is that the Octavia MK2 does not use conventional wiring or connectivity for the original Stereo, instead it uses Canbus and electronic signalling to control the on/off and illumination unlike say a MK1 Fabia.

As a result there are limitations you have to accept when fitting an aftermarket stereo.

First thing is the switched live,  it should really be run directly from the main fusebox. Taking the power from elsewhere could cause excess power draw on the circuit and possibly damage one of the control modules if you connect in the wrong place. I would suggest that the climate control is the wrong place. Remember that all the power is controlled by Canbus signalling and you can damage the BCM module very easily, at least half a dozen members have killed theirs by fitting the wrong HID kits.

Illumination dimming is going to need a connection to something that comes on when you switch the headlights on, for example the 12V socket illumination. 

The problem you have is that the Octavia MK2 does not use conventional wiring or connectivity for the original Stereo, instead it uses Canbus and electronic signalling to control the on/off and illumination unlike say a MK1 Fabia.

As a result there are limitations you have to accept when fitting an aftermarket stereo.

First thing is the switched live,  it should really be run directly from the main fusebox. Taking the power from elsewhere could cause excess power draw on the circuit and possibly damage one of the control modules if you connect in the wrong place. I would suggest that the climate control is the wrong place. Remember that all the power is controlled by Canbus signalling and you can damage the BCM module very easily, at least half a dozen members have killed theirs by fitting the wrong HID kits.

Illumination dimming is going to need a connection to something that comes on when you switch the headlights on, for example the 12V socket illumination.

Ok thanks for that. Where would you recommend I should take the switch live from?

Ok thanks for that. Where would you recommend I should take the switch live from?

Depending on what options the car has, you should have a number of spare fuses in box on the right of the dashboard, the easiest method would be to buy a piggyback fuse. This gives you an additional output from the same fuse, like in this thread. https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/piggy-back-fuseholders-a-right-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/ . You just need to pick a circuit that is likely to be switched, or have a volt meter handy and try to locate one.

Check out incartec- I got all my kit from them, they do have a canbus one and a slightly cheaper one that just does the switched live from canbus - I'd have bought that one if it did illumination signal too but it didn't