U.K. trip

Hi all ive just got back from my trip to blighty, its the first long trip with the car and i am more than impressed with the comfort and performance.I filled up with diesel not far fron Dunkirque , when I got near to home in the south of France I put 50 Litres in havnt worked it out but thats 900ks,most of it at 130 kph, for the size of the car I think that is incredible economy! Its going in the garage next week for the new bonnet and Colombus unit.One very happy bunny :sun:  :sun:

• Like 2

Hi all ive just got back from my trip to blighty, its the first long trip with the car and i am more than impressed with the comfort and performance.I filled up with diesel not far fron Dunkirque , when I got near to home in the south of France I put 50 Litres in havnt worked it out but thats 900ks,most of it at 130 kph, for the size of the car I think that is incredible economy! Its going in the garage next week for the new bonnet and Colombus unit.One very happy bunny :sun:  :sun:

This weekend I did a long drive going south through Blighty for the first time Yorkshire to Hampshire - and back. Really comfy ( I know some don't like the seat - but I do) with not a single twinge of back ache, refinement amazing and considering I was carrying people and luggage performance was pretty good. One thing that surprised me was the sound quality when playing CD's - I'm sure I'd read somewhere on the forum that the speakers weren't great, actually I thought audio really good (Not keen on music through bluetooth though).

Including some really bad traffic especially on the M25 carpark (stop start very effective here!) my journey fuel economy was 49.9 - not bad especially considering it's a petrol

Overall - another happy bunny

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Not bad at all. Is it a manual?

Last time we went to Germany we came back to York via Dunkirk.

635 miles on the trip computer with 45 miles left according to the dash. So just over 1000kms from one tank.

We did 130kmh through Germany and 120kmh through Holland. Then 70 mph through UK. So basically just stuck to the limits.

Considering the extra size and power your car has it's pretty good.

Going to Germany next week again and we always stock up on stuff too :) Prosecco (1.99 a bottle), curry ketchup etc etc.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

I'm in Lithuania at present.  On the way here, I filled up with diesel in Dunkirk and managed to get to Poland before needing any more.  The MFD shows 57mpg for the trip so far, that's with two up, a full boot and one back seat folded down with two suitcases.

We're heading home on Tuesday but sail from Dunkirk on Sunday as we're visiting a few places on the way, so we'll look out for you coming the other way Phil-E!  We'll be carrying quite a bit on our return journey too.  I've already bought plenty of beer, which at about 50p per 500ml bottle is too good to miss.  The car will be completely full after SWMBO goes shopping in Auchan in Dunkirk!  I don't know how we'd manage with a small car!

Hi all ive just got back from my trip to blighty, its the first long trip with the car and i am more than impressed with the comfort and performance.I filled up with diesel not far fron Dunkirque , when I got near to home in the south of France I put 50 Litres in havnt worked it out but thats 900ks,most of it at 130 kph...............................

From Dover? 80+ mph? 900km? on what roads? cos i couldnt find any

I'm in Lithuania at present.  On the way here, I filled up with diesel in Dunkirk and managed to get to Poland before needing any more.  The MFD shows 57mpg for the trip so far, that's with two up, a full boot and one back seat folded down with two suitcases.

We're heading home on Tuesday but sail from Dunkirk on Sunday as we're visiting a few places on the way, so we'll look out for you coming the other way Phil-E!  We'll be carrying quite a bit on our return journey too.  I've already bought plenty of beer, which at about 50p per 500ml bottle is too good to miss.  The car will be completely full after SWMBO goes shopping in Auchan in Dunkirk!  I don't know how we'd manage with a small car!

Any sign of asylum seeker problems at Dunkirk?

As for shopping, when I used to visit the in-laws in NL, we were always full-up, sometimes with furniture, or house lighting, & always with Dutch groceries.  

DC

Except from going around Paris and Peage stops whent I drove down to Sarlat earlier in the year did 130kph on cruise control for hour after hour after hour after hour.......

Suppose it was mid May

Edited by bigjohn

Thats not in the UK is it?

The M1 is 50mph for mile after mile after mile 

You did say from Dover ... the last time I checked you couldn’t get any closer to France than Dover, from your road trip report you just got the dates ‘wrong’ ... as in when ‘everybody’ was going the same way.

The Autoroutes are generally free flowing unless you hit the major towns in rush hour.

Thats not in the UK is it?

The M1 is 50mph for mile after mile after mile 

Posted Today, 19:09

supersnail, on 12 Sept 2015 - 16:43, said:snapback.png

Hi all ive just got back from my trip to blighty, its the first long trip with the car and i am more than impressed with the comfort and performance.I filled up with diesel not far fron Dunkirque , when I got near to home in the south of France I put 50 Litres in havnt worked it out but thats 900ks,most of it at 130 kph...............................

>From Dover? 80+ mph? 900km? on what roads? cos i couldnt find any

I was commenting on the above journey through France from Blighty as I've done similar in the past.

However I agree M1 is a pain as indeed this weekend I was stuck at 50mph for many many miles on the way down, traffic looked awful on M25 so I crossed over to the M40 via M69 . On the way back I aimed for the A1 via M25 , bit of a mistake to start with as there was an accident on the M25 took ages to get past this (30 mins + )  - however great thereafter with no delays on A1

Posted Today, 19:09

supersnail, on 12 Sept 2015 - 16:43, said:snapback.png

>From Dover? 80+ mph? 900km? on what roads? cos i couldnt find any

I was commenting on the above journey through France from Blighty as I've done similar in the past.

However I agree M1 is a pain as indeed this weekend I was stuck at 50mph for many many miles on the way down, traffic looked awful on M25 so I crossed over to the M40 via M69 . On the way back I aimed for the A1 via M25 , bit of a mistake to start with as there was an accident on the M25 took ages to get past this (30 mins + )  - however great thereafter with no delays on A1

I referred to the OP "blighty trip" mate, you might get from Dover to the M25 easy, the M25 is usually a car park, the M1 is 80% a 50mph zone from Watford to Sheffield cos ive done that over the school hols, Whitby in July and Spain last month

Whenever we go over it's always the drive in the UK that's a pain! France, Holland, Belgium and Germany are usually a dream to drive through. The odd road works with things slowed to 80kmh for a few miles but they generally keep flowing well unlike the UK.

This is why we're heading down to Dover on Saturday, staying over the night at Premier Inn then catching an 8am ferry to Dunkirk. Much nicer splitting up the journey like that.

We would usually go via Hull to Rotterdam overnight but the prices have rocketed (over £400 now for a car and 2 adults) whereas the Dover ferry was £90 and we were able to pay with clubcard vouchers!

Phil

We're taking the 10.00 am ferry from Dunkirk to Dover, so look out for us waiting to go on the ferry when you're coming off!

Might not see you though if that's 10am local time. We get in at 11am local time (2 hour travel plus 1 hour).

Phil

Might not see you though if that's 10am local time. We get in at 11am local time (2 hour travel plus 1 hour).

Phil

Of course, stupid me!  We'll pass in the middle of the English Channel!

didnt see any migrants at all either in or out of Dunkirque yes it is a manual box,I used the cruise control as often as possible. The journey was a mixture of autoroute and route national and went through Lyon in the rush hour so yeah im more than impressed with the economy.

didnt see any migrants at all either in or out of Dunkirque yes it is a manual box,I used the cruise control as often as possible. The journey was a mixture of autoroute and route national and went through Lyon in the rush hour so yeah im more than impressed with the economy.

Peage

Please take a ticket (all the wifes side, she wasnt amused)

Whenever we go over it's always the drive in the UK that's a pain! France, Holland, Belgium and Germany are usually a dream to drive through. The odd road works with things slowed to 80kmh for a few miles but they generally keep flowing well unlike the UK.

This is why we're heading down to Dover on Saturday, staying over the night at Premier Inn then catching an 8am ferry to Dunkirk. Much nicer splitting up the journey like that.

We would usually go via Hull to Rotterdam overnight but the prices have rocketed (over £400 now for a car and 2 adults) whereas the Dover ferry was £90 and we were able to pay with clubcard vouchers!

Phil

We're going P&O NSF Hull to Zeebrugge Saturday night (onwards to Germany and Austria via a fill up in Luxembourg) and yes it's gone up however P&O seem to have changed their pricing policy - if you book well in advance it seems to be cheaper .

Don't forget the way of paying at the Dartford crossing has changed - signs before this is very poor - see https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

Edited by bigjohn

We're going P&O NSF Hull to Zeebrugge Saturday night (onwards to Germany and Austria via a fill up in Luxembourg) and yes it's gone up however P&O seem to have changed their pricing policy - if you book well in advance it seems to be cheaper .

Don't forget the way of paying at the Dartford crossing has changed - signs before this is very poor - see https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge

We went southbound (bridge) on the 14th August, only when we returned a week later did I realise it wasnt free.....so i paid the return crossing, ive not had a charge notice (yet)