U.K. trip

We went southbound (bridge) on the 14th August, only when we returned a week later did I realise it wasnt free.....so i paid the return crossing, ive not had a charge notice (yet)

Think you should be OK with just a week

However I think there are going to be loads of people caught out this year. Basically the signs for the crossing have a large red "C" (aka London congestion charge) and some text to say look us up on line - no telephone number to phone (even though one is available) and no clue as to pricing etc. I polled many of my friends and most were not aware of the change in charging. If you are on the way to the Chunnel or a ferry port you are not going to have easy accesss to the internet

I knew about it myself for different reasons and had already registered but was appalled when I drove through. I could imagine visitors from abroad certainly won't realise and probably won't pay

Edited by bigjohn

I knew about it myself for different reasons and had already registered but was appalled when I drove through. I could imagine visitors from abroad certainly won't realise and probably won't pay

Most of them will be safe, i hear they dont chase many unpaid notices here, let alone overseas

Ah yeah. I did see that in the news but had forgotten. Would have probably realised when we didn't have to stop to pay.

Will do it on Saturday eve from the premier inn.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I also plan a trip to the Scotland the first week of November (Newcastle, Edinburgh, st Andrews, etc). I'll take a ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle. That would be my 3rd trip on the Island with my big cruiser. I usually have incredible fuel consumtion, due to the low speed limits and the fact that I mostly comply with them...

If you have any tips about the things I should't miss in the region let me know.

Edited by Kilowatt

Hello Guys,

I also plan a trip to the Scotland the first week of November (Newcastle, Edinburgh, st Andrews, etc). I'll take a ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle. That would be my 3rd trip on the Island with my big cruiser. I usually have incredible fuel consumtion, due to the low speed limits and the fact that I mostly comply with them...

If you have any tips about the things I should't miss in the region let me know.

Diesel here is about GBP£1.10 a ltr

you may want to fill to the brim at Amsterdam

Returned from our trip at the weekend.

Pleased with the car again.

Drove from York to Dover, Dunkirk to Dusseldorf and then Dusseldorf to the Mosel on one tank (55 litres). Total of 677 miles.

This was after the drive from York to Dover (trip computer is accurate after calibration);

20150919_183602_zps0hck9ej3.jpg

20150919_183554_zpsgxe0d2df.jpg

Although it's estimating over 750 miles my other half then drove the rest of the way... they have a lead foot and we were doing over 100 mph on the Autobahn! lol

Also got the cheapest fuel I have ever purchased during our trip. On our way back we had a night in Luxembourg. Diesel there was 97 cents per litre! (that's 77 pence per litre!).

The boot on the Octavia never ceases to amaze me either... 2 folding bikes in there with 2 massive suitcases and a few other bits all with the seats still up and the parcel shelf in place! I imagine the superb is even better in this respect!

Edited by Phil-E

I came back from Bolton to South Wales on Sunday, lots of stop start (and 'parking') on the M6, but filled up with Super Diesel - £18!

The mpg on the computer was 72mpg!! Incredible with three adults and associated luggage.

I have the 140 2.0l.

A two day trip from South Wales on A class roads to North Wales - lots of up and down hills showed 65mpg.

What an engine!

I've recently returned from our trip to Lithuania and covered a total of just on 3,400 miles at an average of 55mpg according to MFD.

We filled up in Dunkirk and our next fill up was Poland, where diesel is cheapest on our journey.  On both outward and return jouneys, we had a full boot with the seats folded down to take our suitcases.  By the time I got home, we had 100+ bottles of beer from various countries, which at about 30-40 pence per bottle is too good to miss!

So guess who forgot to pay the Dartford tunnel charge for the return trip!?

Not heard anything so I've just paid my £2.50 now and just hope they don't send a penalty notice! That's the only thing with it now... it is quick to get through but almost too quick. You're not even aware you're entering a toll road to be honest. Concentrating on the traffic etc and it just never even registered in my mind that I'd need to log on the next morning and pay.

Phil