Bonnet paint problem

Rodge

There seems to be a problem with the paint on the underside of the leading edge of my bonnet. The attached pictures are of the corners in front of the badge and above the headlights. What do you think?

post-130221-0-54453200-1442185018_thumb.jpg

post-130221-0-66165600-1442185048_thumb.jpg

post-130221-0-97171000-1442185080_thumb.jpg

post-130221-0-37457600-1442185094_thumb.jpg

post-130221-0-41642300-1442185103_thumb.jpg

Looks weird! I take it its a new problem? It wasn't there before? Has any maintenance been done on the car recently? Reason I ask is if someone had something on their hands and touched that area (hard to avoid touching when opening bonnet). But then the plastic release looks okay? So it would have to be something that just reacts with the lacquer?

Id say brake fluid could of done it, has it been serviced recently? As the technician could of been doing service on yours and changing brake fluid on another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JoeFifty

Should of been picked up in PDi, call the dealer and send them the photos.

Looking at it its all on the leading edges, so the bonnet could of touched something in the paint shop before it had dried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it doesn't show over on the front edge of the bonnet, I doubt they will fix it.

It is painted so it wont rust, just not a very tidy finish. I'll have a look at mine to compare.

Re post #6,

Of course they will fix it when it is inspected by a Qualified Body Technician and then checked to see if the bonnet has the Factory Finish 

or has required a repair as it left the Production Line or while in Transit to the Dealership.

The reason being that the OP can demand the cars is finished to the standard and specification as the CEO of Skoda CZ,

Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK or the CEO of the supplying Dealership would expect a New car to be delivered.

• 4 weeks later...

I took it to the local dealer who had it inspected by Panelcraft UK in Swindon. They said the paint coverage is fine, but offered to have the whole bonnet resprayed under warranty. As the problem isn't visible from the outside I'm mainly bothered about the corrosion protection and I think there's a risk a respray could introduce more problems than it solves. So I'm going to leave it as it is and just keep an eye on it. If there is any rust they can respray it when it happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rear edge of my bonnet near the drivers wiper has primer showing through.

Looks like the wiper has rubbed it, but no damage on the wiper arm.

I've touched it in for now carefully, but if it rusts it off to the dealers.

• 7 months later...

Rear edge of my bonnet near the drivers wiper has primer showing through.

Looks like the wiper has rubbed it, but no damage on the wiper arm.

I've touched it in for now carefully, but if it rusts it off to the dealers.

Hi glosrich

I picked up my barnd new Octavia in corrida red 10 days ago and noticed 2 white spots of  showing through in the same area you described. I contacted the dealer and they looked at it and said it was primer. They used touch up paint and it looks fine now. How is your bonnet holding up now?

Still looks ok.

Its a common problem on all VW group cars with concealed wipers. People who dont know, delivery drivers, cleaners etc, try to pull the drivers wiper up and it scratches the bonnet.

Do you know how to set the wiper service position?

Ignition on, then off key out, press the wiper stalk down, and the wipers flick up and stay up, until you start the car. Allowing you to change or clean the wipers.

Forgot the PDI checks we all are aware they are useless. Should have been spotted at the factory.

My aft edge of the bonnet (the hump the centre) had primer showing through. Although not officially on the outside of the panel it was noticeable from the front seats on a bright day. My bonnet was resprayed.

Looks like a bonnet respray job coming soon for your car.

Out of curiosity what colour is it?

Edited by octavianestate

Forgot the PDI checks we all are aware they are useless. Should have been spotted at the factory.

My aft edge of the bonnet (the hump the centre) had primer showing through. Although not officially on the outside of the panel it was noticeable from the front seats on a bright day. My bonnet was resprayed.

Looks like a bonnet respray job coming soon for your car.

Out of curiosity what colour is it?

Hi

My car is Corrida Red so the white primer really stood out. What makes you think a respray will be required? I haven't spotted any other paint issues-so far!

Still looks ok.

Its a common problem on all VW group cars with concealed wipers. People who dont know, delivery drivers, cleaners etc, try to pull the drivers wiper up and it scratches the bonnet.

Do you know how to set the wiper service position?

Ignition on, then off key out, press the wiper stalk down, and the wipers flick up and stay up, until you start the car. Allowing you to change or clean the wipers.

That's good to hear. The dealership assured me no further work will be required on mine following their fix. Oh and thanks for that tip-always annoys me when I try to clean the wipers and they are parked down by the bonnet!

Hi

My car is Corrida Red so the white primer really stood out. What makes you think a respray will be required? I haven't spotted any other paint issues-so far!

Mine was a factory fault and not inflicted by the dealer or car washer lifting the wiper arms. I had multiple areas of primer visible and looked ****e. New car new customer and handed over a car that was not up to scratch..pardon the pun. Dealers excuse was the solid paints are not 'finished' as well as the metallics.

I took it to the local dealer who had it inspected by Panelcraft UK in Swindon. They said the paint coverage is fine, but offered to have the whole bonnet resprayed under warranty. As the problem isn't visible from the outside I'm mainly bothered about the corrosion protection and I think there's a risk a respray could introduce more problems than it solves. So I'm going to leave it as it is and just keep an eye on it. If there is any rust they can respray it when it happens.

Is the car a keeper?

If so get something in writing from either the dealer or Skoda UK to confirm that there is an issue.

10 years is a long time, trying to persuade Skoda UK 9 years from now under the bodywork warranty when the leading edge of the bonnet is starting to rust will be so much easier when you have evidence that the car wasn't as expected when new.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Mine was a factory fault and not inflicted by the dealer or car washer lifting the wiper arms. I had multiple areas of primer visible and looked ****e. New car new customer and handed over a car that was not up to scratch..pardon the pun. Dealers excuse was the solid paints are not 'finished' as well as the metallics.

I will be checking the car over in detail at the weekend in case there are any more paint glitches!

• 1 month later...

Took my car in to my local Skoda dealer last week to have smartlink activated. The service manager did the obligatory walk around the car check before it went in to the workshop and spotted two white spots on the upper area of the from bumper. I hadn't noticed this in the last couple of weeks and queried if it was primer. He stated that something must have hit the bumper to have caused it. I know myself that I have never hit anything in the 5 weeks i have owned the car. He also stated this was not covered by the warranty.

A couple of days later I received a courtesy call from the dealer querying how the visit went. Needless to say I said I was not happy about the paint issue especially as I had a problem when I first got the car on the bonnet area. She said she will pass it on and I will hear back from the dealer. 

Do you think I should just go straight to skoda UK for a proper paint inspection? Or could it just be I have been unlucky and something did scrape against the bumper somehow and chipped the paint off?