Ste's Sunday Shine - Golf GTi prep

samuir1974

Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this was worth posting up - but after thinking for a while, assume it may be of interest.

A colleague at work has just decided he wants to treat himself to a Merc C63 AMG.

So the current workhorse 2007 VW Golf GTi with 100k miles on, is for sale / trade-in soon.

Stupidly... :wall:  I suggested he bring it over and we shine it up for his "for sale" pics.

Also seemed a great opportunity to help educate this chap on a proper wash routine,

and make sure he knew the correct steps for looking after the C63 when it arrives.

... then the car turned up Sunday.... 11am.... OMG! Swirl city, unloved, neglected... :doh:

4 hours later - a good wash, decontaminate and single stage polish - plus some wax added;

the car was "presentable" in my opinion, but a couple of areas need a 2nd pass and then some refining.

Main bad points tackled on the day:-

- front headlights were cloudy, plus lenses had remnants of Euro adapter stickers/glue.

- rear lights swirled and very dull, no gloss at all.

- door B pillars swirled and badly misted/cloudy.

- boot panel, rear bumper and spoiler all marked by a Halfords bike rack.

- Frontend caked with a million insects from the recent round trip to South of France.

- every panel covered in a fair covering of tar....and then some!

- alloys pretty well past it, refurb advised and new centre caps ordered.

- chrome exhaust trim was just black!

- doorshuts and hinges pretty horrendous.

Brief Overview of products and stages to write-up:-

- Initial pass with ValetPro Citrus pre-wash on lower panels and bonnet.

- Snowfoam and rinse with Meguiars Hyperwash

- Rinse, then wash with DC Car Care Shampoo+ Dooka pads.

- Wheels tackled with Decon88, Atlasta hub nut brush, Daytona Speedmaster and wheel woolie brushes.

- Rinse, then De-tar - courtesy of Autobrite Just the Tonic.

- Rinse, then Farecla clay-mitt used for further decon progress.

- Rinse, then 2nd wash stage.

- Rinse then Meguiars Last Touch drying aid in conjunction with Big Yellow drying towel.

- Single stage Polish with DA and Sonax 04-06.

- Exhausts - Autosol metal polish with drill+polishing cone.

- LSP applied - Definitive Wax Cora

- QD - Dodo Juice Basics of Bling for overall car, doorshuts, etc.

- Definitive Wax Tyre dressing.

Final pictures below.... nothing taken before hand; mainly due to my panic when I first saw the car;

I just said "Let's crack on!" and we got stuck in...

The results were certainly presentable and enabled him to take pictures to place adverts around etc.

Red is certainly a very rewarding colour to work with and responded well to the products selected on the day. :thumbup:

Needless to say - this work was done for a friend - but a few beers coming my way at the Beer Festival next week! :beer:

11988684_10206094079845681_3244315017315

11990418_10206094080085687_4436994275243

12011245_10206094080285692_3245915142345

12009718_10206094080565699_5437852900398

12002901_10206094080805705_4852593652947

12006242_10206094081085712_6900880880125

12006288_10206094081325718_1037586131255

• Like 2

Thanks for the comment Karl.

I guess it sometimes gets a bit too easy detailing the .:R36 every week. :giggle:

A real culture shock tackling this one - but extremely rewarding at the same time.

Nice to show the guy how bad it can get and the damage inflicted with neglect or poor wash routine.

So at least he can learn and adapt to a proper wash routine when he buys his C63 AMG. :thumbup:

Haha! Certainly can't beat turning a car round to see the results aswell as helping others.

Let's hope he takes the advice on board and looks after the mean machine!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Absolutely - very rewarding work indeed. I think I need to arrange another to test out ReGloss/SiCoat!

Even better - the missus cooked us a nice lunch and filled the fridge with beers as well!

So it wasn't like we were suffering too much on the day!!! :D  :beer:  :giggle:

• Like 1

Looks great Ste! Like Karl said, Can't beat that feeling of helping someone out, and tranforming their pride and joy!

Lets hope the C63 fairs better! Although, if it doesn't, you can always enjoy the time with your friend having a few drinkypoo's while sorting it out. Good times!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this was worth posting up - but after thinking for a while, assume it may be of interest.

A colleague at work has just decided he wants to treat himself to a Merc C63 AMG.

So the current workhorse 2007 VW Golf GTi with 100k miles on, is for sale / trade-in soon.

Stupidly... :wall: I suggested he bring it over and we shine it up for his "for sale" pics.

Also seemed a great opportunity to help educate this chap on a proper wash routine,

and make sure he knew the correct steps for looking after the C63 when it arrives.

... then the car turned up Sunday.... 11am.... OMG! Swirl city, unloved, neglected... :doh:

4 hours later - a good wash, decontaminate and single stage polish - plus some wax added;

the car was "presentable" in my opinion, but a couple of areas need a 2nd pass and then some refining.

Main bad points tackled on the day:-

- front headlights were cloudy, plus lenses had remnants of Euro adapter stickers/glue.

- rear lights swirled and very dull, no gloss at all.

- door B pillars swirled and badly misted/cloudy.

- boot panel, rear bumper and spoiler all marked by a Halfords bike rack.

- Frontend caked with a million insects from the recent round trip to South of France.

- every panel covered in a fair covering of tar....and then some!

- alloys pretty well past it, refurb advised and new centre caps ordered.

- chrome exhaust trim was just black!

- doorshuts and hinges pretty horrendous.

Brief Overview of products and stages to write-up:-

- Initial pass with ValetPro Citrus pre-wash on lower panels and bonnet.

- Snowfoam and rinse with Meguiars Hyperwash

- Rinse, then wash with DC Car Care Shampoo+ Dooka pads.

- Wheels tackled with Decon88, Daytona Speedmaster and wheel woolie brushes.

- Rinse, then De-tar - courtesy of Autobrite Just the Tonic.

- Rinse, then Farecla clay-mitt used for further decon progress.

- Rinse, then 2nd wash stage.

- Rinse then Meguiars Last Touch drying aid in conjunction with Big Yellow drying towel.

- Single stage Polish with DA.

- Exhausts - Autosol polish with drill+polishing cone.

- LSP applied - Definitive Cora

- QD - Dodo Juice Basics of Bling for overall car, doorshuts, etc.

- Definitive Tyre dressing.

Final pictures below.... nothing taken before hand; mainly due to my panic when I first saw the car;

I just said "Let's crack on!" and we got stuck in...

The results were certainly presentable and enabled him to take pictures to place adverts around etc.

Red is certainly a very rewarding colour to work with and responded well to the products on the day. :thumbup:

Needless to say - this work was done for a friend - but a few beers coming my way at the Beer Festival next week! :beer:

11988684_10206094079845681_3244315017315

11990418_10206094080085687_4436994275243

12011245_10206094080285692_3245915142345

12009718_10206094080565699_5437852900398

12002901_10206094080805705_4852593652947

12006242_10206094081085712_6900880880125

12006288_10206094081325718_1037586131255

Never mind the golf get some pictures of the AMG when he gets it. I will always miss that engine no car sounds the same in the workshop as a 6.2 NA, the black series was crazy!

• Like 2

Totally agree mate - of course I offered to help him inspect it after collection;

and do the needful in terms of a protection detail of some sort....

I was very kindly offered a test drive as my reward - bring it on!!! :sun:  :happy:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Totally agree mate - of course I offered to help him inspect it after collection;

and do the needful in terms of a protection detail of some sort....

I was very kindly offered a test drive as my reward - bring it on!!! :sun: :happy::thumbup:

If it's the facelift version make sure you test race start for him :)

• Like 1

If it's the facelift version make sure you test race start for him :)

Unfortunately - it won't be the facelift version; his budget is limited to an 18-24month old example.

It's ok though - I've scared him enough with some demo's on the .:R36 Launch control;

plus the recent test drives in the RS3 and RS6 were all tremendous fun as well..... :happy:  ;)  :thumbup:

Nice work mate. I'm sure it will sell well now looking like that.

That's quite an upgrade for your mate! Lucky boy, enjoy the test drive.

I hope so Ben - but the market is very fickle at the moment on used cars generally.

Look at some of the great examples in the For Sale section here.... but no buyers?!?

Well - he and his missus lived in Australia for a few years - so he's had some big engines.

When he moved to the UK - the budget was limited and the GTi hit the mark at the time.

....but now he has some cash saved - he is missing the V8 fun, and can make the switch!!

Unfortunately - it won't be the facelift version; his budget is limited to an 18-24month old example.

It's ok though - I've scared him enough with some demo's on the .:R36 Launch control;

plus the recent test drives in the RS3 and RS6 were all tremendous fun as well..... :happy:;):thumbup:

Haven't been in the Audi's but often hear them leaving the garage next door making some wicked noises. Same as the C63 on gear change is nice. Also downshifts, don't think I'd ever get bored of one. I'd get bored of filling it up and changing rear tyres though, 6-8k average for rears.

• Like 1

Haven't been in the Audi's but often hear them leaving the garage next door making some wicked noises. Same as the C63 on gear change is nice. Also downshifts, don't think I'd ever get bored of one. I'd get bored of filling it up and changing rear tyres though, 6-8k average for rears.

Thanks for the info Richard.

The new RS3 is very much that way - the Sports/dynamic exhaust mode is superb, especially on downshift.

The RS6 is similar but maybe not quite as loud, I would say.

I had already asked if he had requested quotes on the rear tyres..... put a standing order in now I guess!!!!  ;)  :happy:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Met up with my mate who owns the Golf GTi over the weekend at the local festival.

No update on the Merc AMG with the correct spec being found as yet.

A few compliments coming back on the GTi though; from family and work colleagues.

His missus went to work on the Monday and a few people thought they had a new car!!! :giggle:

Just looking forward to a nice detail on the AMG though.... ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this..... @Richard92 primarily....

Just met up with my mate for a coffee this morning - the GTi is sold; due to be collected tonight infact!

He test drove two Merc AMG's at the weekend and has decided..... collection hopefully on Thursday.

So rather than going to the pub quiz Thu night - looks like its a decent long drive planned in the AMG.

...TBD on a detailing day for now; but will do my best to inspect it for issues and get it prepared and sealed for winter! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just an update on this..... @Richard92 primarily....

Just met up with my mate for a coffee this morning - the GTi is sold; due to be collected tonight infact!

He test drove two Merc AMG's at the weekend and has decided..... collection hopefully on Thursday.

So rather than going to the pub quiz Thu night - looks like its a decent long drive planned in the AMG.

...TBD on a detailing day for now; but will do my best to inspect it for issues and get it prepared and sealed for winter! :thumbup:

Yes can't wait to see the pictures of the AMG, also hear about the drive. Even a short 5 mile road test puts a smile on my face for the whole day! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes can't wait to see the pictures of the AMG, also hear about the drive. Even a short 5 mile road test puts a smile on my face for the whole day! :)

Well - finally got enough free time to go out in the C63 AMG for an hour on Friday.

Enough time to experience the simply savage power of this engine, burn £20 worth of fuel,

drift round a couple of sections and experience traction control kick in at some silly speeds over 100+mph!

Also got a quick check over the paint and should have a reasonable window on Sunday to do a Protection detail as promised.  :thumbup:

B05189EF-175F-4220-B3B9-D7DA50EE3F9C_zps

• Like 4

That's the facelift :) have a go at race start ?

They are wicked make some amazing noises up and down gears.

The fuel doesn't surprise me at all though, the funny thing is a full tanks range is like 1/4 tank of my fabias range.

I wasnt allowed into Race start mode - but he did describe the lunacy of it!!! LOL

My mate is still really enjoying the car and driving it a bit crazy at times in all honesty.

Talking fuel..... last tank he brimmed.... the estimated range on the dash computer indicated 149 miles!!!!  :x  :o

• Like 1

I wasnt allowed into Race start mode - but he did describe the lunacy of it!!! LOL

My mate is still really enjoying the car and driving it a bit crazy at times in all honesty.

Talking fuel..... last tank he brimmed.... the estimated range on the dash computer indicated 149 miles!!!! :x:o

That sounds about right lol, the new C63s even though it's a 4.0 biturbo has a better noise it's mental cracks and bangs on demand. Perks of fitting trackers I get all the nice cars :) drive them and then when I get back I turn the tracker on. Safe test drive with no device watching.

• Like 1

That is some motor!! The sound of those things is phenomenal! I once tried it on with one at the lights in the vRS as a joke.. he'd gone by the time I reached 60 haha!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Got sent on a track day and I was in a C63 estate with the performance pack 480hp:) yet all that power and I still couldn't catch the A45 until about 80/90 crazy little things off the mark. But amazing fun on the skid pan and track the C class was.

• Like 1