Excessive build-up of dust on rear of III

Just hit 800 km and it's quite magic to drive!

The rear of the Fabia seems to collect a lot of dust when compared to my Jazz, especially after a short shower. One can feel the build-up when opening boot, very gritty. Not sure if it's from rear wheels or just low pressure at rear?

If I fit a spoiler would this change the turbulence at rear to reduce this dust build-up?

Superskoda has spoilers but glue is required for fitting. Cost at present is 160 Euros+ Customs so looking at some $AUS450 + Tradie unless I take chance myself.

I know its not 100% related, but the same seems to happen to my Octavia MK3. I think its the fairly blunt back end causing a lower pressure as you suggest. My back window gets fairly dirty sometimes!

Can't help regarding a spoiler though, sorry.

Just hit 800 km and it's quite magic to drive!

The rear of the Fabia seems to collect a lot of dust when compared to my Jazz, especially after a short shower. One can feel the build-up when opening boot, very gritty. Not sure if it's from rear wheels or just low pressure at rear?

If I fit a spoiler would this change the turbulence at rear to reduce this dust build-up?

Superskoda has spoilers but glue is required for fitting. Cost at present is 160 Euros+ Customs so looking at some $AUS450 + Tradie unless I take chance myself.

Almost certainly a low-pressure area. Just fitting a spoiler won't necessarily cure it. Spoiler needs to be properly designed to do the job, or it might actually make it worse.

• Like 1

In the North of the UK this might be called 'stour', and rear mud flaps help some reduce it.

But that is for cars that are being driven.

Oddly people with MK2's seem to think removing the rear wiper for 'the cool look' is a good idea, 

but i have always found a rear wiper is very useful in Heavy Rain on the roads, or when it is Snowing / Sleety, and used regularly and only with care if it is Sand that is in the air.

• Like 1

With one exeption I havent had anything but estates and a few hatchbacks through the years. Several VWs, Audi, a Toyota, Seat, a Citroen, a few Skodas and a Mercedes.

They all build up dust, snow and grit on the rear because of the steep back. And that goes for the MkIII as well. ( For the snow I have to wait a while on that one)

The exeption was a 1978 VW Passat saloon. But I cannot for my life remember any dust build-up there, probably because that car only survived the summer and crashed into a Volvo 25 years ago a few months after requirement. :)

and rear mud flaps help some reduce it.

But that is for cars that are being driven.

Just fitted mudflaps. Front go-on well -- remove 3 'torx' screws with Allen key, nice fit. Rear also but there's a 'push-in' plastic screw for 2 holes misaligned and an horrible cylindrical thing with 2 'teeth' that I haven't yet found out how to clip it!

Maybe rear-dust will reduce?

Just fitted mudflaps. Front go-on well -- remove 3 'torx' screws with Allen key, nice fit. Rear also but there's a 'push-in' plastic screw for 2 holes misaligned and an horrible cylindrical thing with 2 'teeth' that I haven't yet found out how to clip it!

Original Skoda mudflaps ?  On the rear - just the two torx screws and the push-in plastic pin that goes on that inboard hole - and, yes, you have to pull the plastic bumper a smidge to line up those holes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey any results ? read dust t same ? 

Hey any results ? read dust t same ?

Can't say that there is an improvement on mine - they were fitted on Day 1 ! Been driving a Passat estate for a long time - and its usual for a build-up of grime on the back.

My purpose with the mud flaps is keeping down the level of dirt build-up just behind the wheel arches. Makes car a bit easier to clean in the winter. The dust on the back goes with the territory on many estates! (Hatchbacks probably too??)

Can't say that there is an improvement on mine - they were fitted on Day 1 ! Been driving a Passat estate for a long time - and its usual for a build-up of grime on the back.

My purpose with the mud flaps is keeping down the level of dirt build-up just behind the wheel arches. Makes car a bit easier to clean in the winter. The dust on the back goes with the territory on many estates! (Hatchbacks probably too??)

Hi, thanks for the reply, had an estate Kia C'eed before the Fabia (no mud flaps) dust buildup on back bumper & back door was significantly less....

• Like 1