Ooops Dead Octavia

Disco@Impreziv

Tootling along a country lane, was freewheeling and didn't notice the engine cut out until I tried to corner:o

Restarted and cruised along the next straight, with a big 'orrible rattle coming from inside the engine:(:o

I have a nasty feeling its cambelt related, will post more when I know.

Oil light came on about 100yds before it cut out, hence why we were freewheeling. It looks like its chucked all the oil out underneath somewhere, and that led to whatever happened next.

Miles-59,000

Mods-None fitted

Warranty- Purchased, but cant help feeling they'll try and squirm out of it.

Could be the sump seal. A friend of mine had a slight weep from his sump seal on the Octavia. Its not a gasket, just what I'd call silicone sealant. His had blown. Assuming it is, drain what oil is left, whip the sump off, clean it up and put it back on. Use the genuine VAG sealant, cures in about 20mins. Change filter and fill with oil. Wierd thing was with his was that at idle no oil was coming out, take it to 2k and it started to come out, 4k and it was very noticeable.

Hope that helps.