What did you do to your Non Skoda today?

meb90

This weekend:

Painted the brake calipers and disc bells black to tidy them up as they were rusty and looked awful.

Changed the gearbox oil.

Flushed and changed the power steering fluid

:)

treated the plastic arches, sills rear door handles, window surrounds and mirrors on the Civic to GTechniq C4...   just got the front and rear valances to do now.

Anyhow - managed to rip a mudguard off and some of the plastic wheelarch trim loose on the Civic today on one of those bolt down rubber speed humps... :swear:

So got home, took it all off, made ip some brackets to repair the mudguard and refitted it all. :happy:

Then finished using GTechniq C4 on it - front and rear valance, wiper scuttle, roof trim etc. so that's all the external plastics done now. :thumbup:

Then my mum came round to see the kids so I fitted four mudguards on her new Jazz. Honda reckon it's a bumper off job but sod that - no way - just undo some trim retainers on the wheelarch liner to give enough room to get them out and trim them to take the mudguard brackets.... no wonder the dealer wanted an arm and a leg to fit them.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

FR5IFY1.jpg

jYmoaL4.jpg

D4SbAPG.jpg

Dtsvl0f.jpg

There was lots of standing back and despairing. I do have a plan forming, though; but it's a few more steps back before I start to move forwards again.

The centre third of that rear cross-member(?) of the cab -- where the central cab mount goes -- seems to be solid enough; but the ends of it have completely gone.

And all the rot has been boxed over with unpainted steel, which was then plated over with yet more completely unpainted steel, then the whole lot painted over; obviously, this has made sure that it keeps corroding quite nicely, and great big thick carpets of rust grow between all the bits.

Just going to have to keep cutting back all the hack patches until I can get back to the original structure, and re-build from there outwards with fewer layers. The real worry is I'm risking having the battery box fall back out, as it's partially welded to the bit that I've been cutting out today. :-D

Cleaned off all the battery contacts on ye olde mobility scooter , cleaned out the under battery tray and dusted off the velcro battery holders.

@Tamber - holy carp what a mess! :o

Just drove my quattro for the first time :) Only about 2km to get carpets made. But it made me happy. Got into third gear briefly. Speedo reads zero all the time. Steering still noisy. It got a bit damp in the rain and has no passenger window at the moment.
But the best bit is it beeps the horn randomly. Must be the slip ring I modified on the new wheel. Not the best when you're trying to be incognito in a car that's not road legal. But funny :)

14480568_849829228450708_856905705409578

14468468_849890078444623_214604940314376

• Like 4

@Tamber - holy carp what a mess! :o

Just drove my quattro for the first time :) Only about 2km to get carpets made. But it made me happy. Got into third gear briefly. Speedo reads zero all the time. Steering still noisy. It got a bit damp in the rain and has no passenger window at the moment.

But the best bit is it beeps the horn randomly. Must be the slip ring I modified on the new wheel. Not the best when you're trying to be incognito in a car that's not road legal. But funny :)

Have a look at the springs for the horn press; Back in the day my Dad had the same issue with a VW Type 1, and the problem was a broken spring on the horn press.

• 3 weeks later...

Fell off it, and landed with one elbow on the cab roof, and the other on the body -- both elbows thus brought about level with my earholes. Something went crunch. I think it was me.

Other than that, I cut a hole in the roof, and put some more metal in; thus reducing some of the holey-ness. Also discovered the O/S cab mount has delaminated; this was discovered by the whole cab tipping over alarmingly as I heaved myself up by the grab-handle above the N/S door. (This same thing also claimed another victim; my co-workers' iPhone, which fell out of his pocket and landed screen-down on the carpark... popped the whole front off it, cracked the screen, launched the home-button off to realms unknown.)

oVDxkfH.jpg

(Even fairly small patches are pretty time-consuming.)

I did apply some body-filler just to soften those ridges where the welds were; it was overheating alarmingly quickly trying to take them down with a sanding disc, even being careful, and I didn't want to thin it out too much.
EGe2htN.jpg

It'll look significantly less-ugly when I can sand it smooth. It still hadn't set by the time I needed to vacate the workshop. :giggle:

• 3 weeks later...

(Well, it's what I did yesterday, but nyeh~)

Took the wheels off one corner to see if the sticking brakes had caused any damage to the drum, and to see if I could dismantle the brakes without taking the hub off like the manual says.

Moment of truth...

CVE1SPX.jpg

Lots of effort expended to get to that point; 3-piece wheels with 9.00-20s on them are heavy!

SdNEFx6.jpg

Oh. Well. I guess the hub needs to come off after-all. :giggle:

At least it turns out the drum is in pretty good condition; no grooving, heat damage, etc.

Linings on the shoes are shot, though; heavily contaminated with grease/sludge, which is probably what saved the drum.

EL7vAbr.jpg

Yummy!

• Like 1