Cornering Front Fog Lights

silver1011

Even the Pope likes them  :D

I can hear him now waving everyone to the front of the car, "look, look, when my driver turns the wheel or indicates with dipped headlights on my Popemobile winks at you, ingenious!"

2CA7B32B00000578-3245370-image-a-44_1442

Indeed, they are like Marmite, you either love em' or hate em!

I love mine in all but one element, the lighting up of both lights when reverse is selected, useful but not worth the looks of disdain from others who think you have your fog lights on, chilax people, life is too short! :sun:

Ye pointless in the daylight other than sometimes they give a clue where the driver is going when they can not be bothered to put the orange flashy thing on.

But if you do not know with Fiat it goes on the way they are turning while on other cars the DRL might go out to on the side the Indicator might be coming on, you are none the wiser.

These two crack me up everytime.

"Arggh, what is going on with the bloody lights. Sandra, get Fiat on the phone, this car is knackered!"

I'm sure they ended up wishing they'd bought the trusty Skoda Felicia in the next parking space  :D

Indeed, they are like Marmite, you either love em' or hate em!

I love mine in all but one element, the lighting up of both lights when reverse is selected, useful but not worth the looks of disdain from others who think you have your fog lights on, chilax people, life is too short! :sun:

Yeah, I've wondered what is the point of that?

Yeah, I've wondered what is the point of that?

Very handy if you need to manoeuvre in darkness, not much use in well lit towns etc. Always think there should be a switch for cornering lights.

What i noticed in the brief moment if news i saw of popes arrival - the shear size difference between a 500L and a Chevy Suburban... its like a lorry parked beside a mini..

And if you saw a 500L next to a mini (proper BL one)...

its like a lorry parked beside a mini.

the 500L aint that small in Euro terms.

mind you, I spent 5 months out there this year and even VW Touaregs look small in American traffic.

• Like 1

Serisly? What use are any front lights when you're going backwards?

So when you are reversing into a space or similar you don't look at any time to see if the front is clear of any cars/ obstacles, that's what women do. As said, to me in total darkness they are a benefit, for you maybe not.

There is a plus point with Cornering Fog Lights, and ones that automatically come on as a driver selects reverse,

and that is you can easily see how hopefless some drivers are at parking and how many times they need to go back and fore to get into parking spaces and the still can not manage, or when the they they can not get the wheels straight.

Pay attention at Super markets etc,   VW Polo, Fiat 500 & Punto are good ones to watch, often Lease cars that seem to have female drivers that might be Social Workers / NHS / Distric Nurses etc (no wheel trims fitted),

that probably drive quite a lot.

Yeti are good as well, often driven by men, but for some reason they think that shining single Fog Lights towards others as they reverse is OK.

This example in the pics took many lefts and rights before finally parking and then sitting with this display.

It was an overcast day, but not any Fog, and we all know what the UK Highway Code says about using Fog Lights.

Also about Lights used in Pairs, other than Indicators, Single Rear Fog Lights, High Level Brake LIght and Parking Lights,

so that seems to be needing brought up to date.

(Now if this was night time, that is what drivers coming towards you see, or not as the case, people might stop facing the oncoming drivers / riders on the wrong side of a road, then in preparation to reverse, select reverse and shines a single or pair of Fog Lights right at oncoming traffic, and many do, because they have this automatic setting.)

Would the same driver ever think if they did not have Auto Fog lights, to stop with Dipped Beam on, and as drivers approach turn on Front Fog lights at them, or while at a Junction at night in the Dark, randomly turn on the front Fog Lights.

?

At Night If you need Fog Lights to be able to see in front of your car when reversing, why not just Switch on 2 front Fog Lights,

or Full Beam when safe to and you are not shining your lights at other road users.?

post-86161-0-46430300-1443169857_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-92744400-1443169896_thumb.jpg

?

At Night If you need Fog Lights to be able to see in front of your car when reversing, why not just Switch on 2 front Fog Lights,

or Full Beam when safe to and you are not shining your lights at other road users.?

As I do, as I disabled cornering fogs on my Yeti as on as I got it, as there are too many old motorists that don't understand them.

• Like 1

So when you are reversing into a space or similar you don't look at any time to see if the front is clear of any cars/ obstacles, that's what women do. As said, to me in total darkness they are a benefit, for you maybe not.

Well, I'll check where the front of the car's going to go before I start the reverse!

Also, if you can't see past your front bumper in any light with just sidelights, should you be driving at all?

Serisly? What use are any front lights when you're going backwards?

Yes.

I find them very useful as it allows me to see what is to the side of the front of the car as I reverse.

Funny that nearly all the people who cannot see their usefulness are urbanites . Try living and working in places that do not have any street lighting and you might change your mind. 

• Like 1

Llanigraham,

if you need to switch on the Dipped Beam or Both Front Fog lights to see where the front corner is when reversing 

is that not good enough rather than a setting that has one Front Fog light illuminate every time you reverse and change the steering angle regardless of location location location & you having no Off Switch,

like when others are around that have good eye sight and night vision adjusted to the circumstances.?

If there is No Street Lighting, it is dark and the kind of place that only Country/Rural  People could ever have experienced.

& no one else to dazzle with the use of Full Beam, or the use of Front Fog LIghts why not just use Full Beam?

Yes.

I find them very useful as it allows me to see what is to the side of the front of the car as I reverse.

Funny that nearly all the people who cannot see their usefulness are urbanites . Try living and working in places that do not have any street lighting and you might change your mind. 

Will nearest working street light being 4 miles away from 23:00 to 06:00 next morning be adequately "rural" for the purposes of this discussion?

Oh and I still say that I'll have looked to both sides for fixed obstructions whilst still going forwards!

Sorry OT.

But regarding the Pope. 

Next time they select a new one,

they can start up a Volkswagen Passat TDI in America and let people know by the smoke exiting the exhaust.

New pope - White Smoke.

They'll need a car with no rings or a hole in a piston.

Cornering fogs area surprisingly emotive subject though.  I think they look rubbish, but I don't care enough to disable the ones on my car.

I was well pleased to share a Coke with Jesus though - chuckled about it for hours after.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1