Rough running at start up

brianski

Hi All

Has anyone come across this strange issue.

On cooler mornings when I start my car, a 2011 2.0ltr Superb Elegance 170 i have a big loss of power and really rough running like its running on three cylinders. If I try to rev the engine I hear a rattle coming from the back of the engine as far as I can tell.

This continues for a couple of miles then the car runs as sweet as a nut for the rest of day. There are no warning lights showing and no fault codes logged and worse of all it appears to be a bit of an intermittent issue.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hi

thanks for the quick replies, I've tried a couple of injector cleaners but they didn't seem to have much of an effect although not tried Forte.

The car is in for a service this week so I'll mention the injector deviation values, but wouldn't they throw up a fault code if they were out?

Not really. The ones I have fixed have no fault codes. A positive deviation value usually indicates the control plunger inside the injector nozzle is not fully closing. Ideally the values should be 0 but a plus of +3.00 would be a big problem. These values should be read whilst driving off from cold whilst having the symptoms at the same time. I would also have a compression check at the same time. Your engine should be 30 bar new with a wear limit of 20 bar.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Quick update - car went in for a service and they data logged the injectors from cold, one injector had a value of +3.00 that settled down to normal after a couple of miles.

I'm now waiting for a quote for the cost to supply and fit a new injector unless there are any other solutions?

• 3 months later...

A failed glow plug can also give the same effect on a cold start.  An engine will usually start with one plug not working and run rough initially and then recover.  The electronics won't always warn of a failed plug.     They are only about £15-20 each but can be tricky to change due to them having a habit of seizing in the head so best left to a garage.

Edited by Pesmog

Had my car checked 2 injectors were a fail - not out by loads, but not coding to the ECU properly, having 2 new ones fitted £185 ea. + diagnostics + testing costs - ouch,

Superb 2010 2.0 CR 140 Bosch injectors.

A failed glow plug can also give the same effect on a cold start. An engine will usually start with one plug not working and run rough initially and then recover. The electronics won't always warn of a failed plug. They are only about £15-20 each but can be tricky to change due to them having a habit of seizing in the head so best left to a garage.

The glow plugs are inside the rocker cover inside the cylinder head and sprayed in the oil in this engine so seizures are not a problem on these engines.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 new injectors fitted - so far no nasty noises/behaviour after 3 cold starts

Thomas fuel injection services - Blyth,  Northumberland.   seemed to know their stuff, nice guys, final bill £700 for diagnosis, removed all 4 injectors, cleaned and tested, then supply and fit 2 recon by Bosch injectors.

• 1 month later...

My Cr170 suffered this problem, it only occured when starting from cold in the morning (No warning lights), I took it to a Skoda garage who said it was probably due to contaminated fuel

the changed the fuelfilter (£60) and recommended I run it on premium fuel, rather than supermarket fuel.car was better briefly until the overnight temperatures dropped. So I took the car

for a TerraClean (£105) my car is now running as normal. I should say I did try running a bottle or 2 of injector cleaner but this didn't make any significant difference.