Do I do it? Do I P/X the Mk3 Fabia for a Superb?!

Dilz

Just got off the phone with the lovely team at Allams (thanks again for the Carwow heads up @Gizmo68! Neil provided the best discount hands down, is my closest dealer so free delivery, and even gave Briskoda a shout out!).

They've approved my finance deal on the current offer which expired today (£2k contribution and 2.9% APR) and are waiting for me to email and say "yes" tomorrow morning.

Naturally, the wife has the final say. But ladies and gents of Briskoda, I'd love your thoughts!

My current Fabia SEL MkIII is a beauty... 

1.2TSI 90 PS Manual, Race Blue, 17" Prestige wheels, Beige Interior with all the kit, Steel pedals/door sills, I've even customised the lighting (LED interior everywhere, LED fogs which luckily can transfer over to a Superb as H8 fitment, and Xenon HID conversion in the Dips). So, all in all, it's a dream little supermini that serves a purpose wonderfully, and looks good whilst doing it. Fun to drive and spritely on the move... I've had her since June. And the wife and I love her. Yet, over bumps it can be a bit less enjoyable, and I'm tiring of needing to shift so often when the car is heavy loaded. Maybe shoud've gone for the 110 PS 6-Speed version. But alas, it's too late now.

I just received a great quote for the Superb MkIII in SEL Executive:

1.4TSI ACT 150 PS DSG (would be my first auto!), Business Grey, 19" Sirius Wheels, Beige Leather, and loads of kit including:

Electric front seats (both)

Heated front/rear seats

Space saver wheel

KESSY

DSG Paddles

LED Package plus

Smart Light Assist

Colour Maxi-dot

Park Assist

Rear view camera

Travel Assist

CANTON System

Rear wiper.

Again, we're looking at a Jan-late-Feb build. But boy does it excite me.

But in terms of numbers, it's almost 65% more a month on a PCP.

Is the Superb MkIII really 65% more worth it? My mileage is low, so no need for diesel, my desire to fly down the streets is none-existent, so the smart little 1.4TSI ACT seems perfect for me (and for insurance purposes), but my love for a comfortable, smooth, driving experience is the key driver. And tech - I love my tech - so the Fabia's Mirrorlink fiasco has still left me scorn as I wish I had Android Auto!!

I'm 85% sure I will go for this and start the agreement tomorrow morning - as the DSG and Superb's standard suspension/build geared towards refinement and comfort - plus all the bloody tech (I mean traffic jam assist looks incredibly handy!) really excites me. But can anyone here advise as to any reason(s) why I should stick to the Fabia?

Thanks!

Edited by Dilz

Do you ever need tHe space ? I went 1.4 8v Classic Fabia Estate in 2002 / 1.4 16v Elegance Fabia Estate in 2005 / 1.9 Tdi Elegance Octavia Estate in 2007 / 1.8 Tsi Octavia Scout in 2010.

superb seemed like a natural progression.

I managed to fill the boot on each car ! Guess I need to take less crap on hols .....

This time round I wanted a bit more performance and after the Scout would not want to be without 4wd.

Theirs no point asking people on here to decide for you. It's a great deal of money. If you want one why justify it.... Just do it...

Do you ever need tHe space ? I went 1.4 8v Classic Fabia Estate in 2002 / 1.4 16v Elegance Fabia Estate in 2005 / 1.9 Tdi Elegance Octavia Estate in 2007 / 1.8 Tsi Octavia Scout in 2010.

superb seemed like a natural progression.

I managed to fill the boot on each car ! Guess I need to take less crap on hols .....

This time round I wanted a bit more performance and after the Scout would not want to be without 4wd.

Theirs no point asking people on here to decide for you. It's a great deal of money. If you want one why justify it.... Just do it...

I like your thinking. Cheers for the reality check!

• Like 1

Fabia v Superb = no brainer in favour of the Superb.

I've driven a series II Superb for 3 1/4 years and it was the best car I've ever had,it was a 105ps  Elegance (similar to the current SE L Exec) Greenline.

I was recently so annoyed with VAGs shenanigans that I cancelled my order for a 150ps diesel 4x4 estate and vowed not to darken their doors for a fair while.

Seeming weeks of searching for viable alternatives have brought me back to the Superb SE L exec 1.4 Tsi ACT Estate, like you with a whole host of extras and now just waiting for final price offers.

By the way, I've had some extremely bad trade in offers for my outgoing Superb (3 YO with 12500 miles) which had a lot of extras (worth nothing at all!) even from Skoda dealers, got offered £9,000 from the local dealer then £8750 from the same idiots when they said it was worth less because there was a new model coming out which they knew when they made the first inadequate offer. A second dealer actually inspected the car and offered £10,000.

I spent an hour last Saturday visiting the local site of The Car Buying Service (there are others) https://www.thecarbuyingservice.co.uk/?utm_source=Pure360&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=siteEmails after they had offered around £10,600 sight unseen and left with £10,500 in my bank account (well it was the following Monday as the banking system's computers go away for the weekend).

I kept the spare wheel kit and a couple of other easily removable bits as the dealer admitted that they would only be worth pennies to them, so the spare wheel kit will save another £100 on the new one.

Difference is easily enough for a set of alloys with winter tyres.

Might be worth looking at what tomorrow's finance deal will cost in comparison with (I believe) 0% interest but no deposit contribution.

• Like 1

Looks like there shouldn't be much difference in overall cost if you go for a long (42 month) finance period if you're borrowing about £20k on average.

(20,000 * 2.9/100 * 42/12 = 2030). I'm guessing that your loan starts at 30,000 and diminishes to 10,000 over the period.

I posted this in another thread earlier, I increasingly think my arithmetic and/or logic is faulty but have lost the will to live trying to see the error, so here it is again;

"Maybe my arithmetic is suspect but on, say, a £25,420 car (taken from the Skoda Finance calculator) the total amount payable after Skoda's £2000 contribution plus their cheeky £185 in various fees is £26,642.25 which means the deal has cost £1,222.25 net.

If they remove the £2000 contribution and charge 0% no doubt the £185 fees will remain so total cost will be 25,605 and the deal cost is £185 so in theory you will be £1,221.25 better off.

As I've sold my series II and just looking for a bit of a cushion I inquired of Sainsbury's Bank (see the Money Saving Expert) and have agreement to borrow £10,000 over 42 months at a total cost of £647.42.

42 payments of £253.51. APR 3.6%. This rate is slightly cheaper than the norm and offered to Nectar card holders.

I know the amount of credit given under the Skoda plan is higher (£17,920.00) and monthly payments are a bit lower 35 x £199.81.

Just an alternative."

I got this from the skoda web site (added a few details myself) not sure if it clears things up or not. Obviously the high the cost the less the benefit is as the finance cost is bigger, but it gives you an idea.

Solutions Personal Contract Plan* representative example for the new ŠKODA Superb Hatch S 1.4 TSI 125PS model with metallic paint, based on a 42 a month, 35,000 mile agreement

2.9% APR                                    

Car cost                                       £19175.00

Metallic paint                              £535.00                                               

Total                                            £19710.00               

41 monthly payments (£195)  £7995

Deposits You pay                       £3356.08

Dealer deposit                            £2000.00

Acceptance fee                           £125

Option to purchase fee              £60

Final payment                             £6784.20                                            

Total cost                                     £20220.28

The full cost of the deal is £20220.28 but Skoda have given you £2000 towards this so the cost to you is £18220.28,  The cost with 0% would be £19710 Thus saving £1490 with the low finance deal over the 0% deal. 

If this is right, and I'm not sure it is (seems a bit cheap on the finance costs)

I will be sticking with my deal as it still works out cheaper just about. and I got another £750 off from the dealer thanks to CarWOW.

Edited by woody3537

It's done. Ordered. I removed the rear heated seats as on reflection they were pretty pointless... plus without 'tri-zone' the centre panel shows a snazzy digital clock which I think looks much smarter/classier.

Thanks again chaps. The many weeks of waiting begins!

• Like 2

Looks like the PCP deal has been extended for another 3 months...namely £2000.00 contribution and 2.9% APR.

Also notice that the 3 year service has gone up £49.00 to £528.00

Well if they'd asked for voluntary contributions towards the 'corrective' work they have in front of them.................................

:devil:

Well if they'd asked for voluntary contributions towards the 'corrective' work they have in front of them.................................

:devil:

Not sure I understand your post there, Claymore.

Sorry if I've missed this, but have you got prices from the likes of new car discount and coast2coast ?

I've gone with the latter and others have gone with the former - their prices were *much* lower than anything I managed to get with dealers. Worked out around 21% off list for me.