Tyre repair kit

I've tried, twice. Didn't work out so good for me on either occasion. They aren't always able to patch up the damage, which is why I prefer to have a spare wheel instead. Even if it does cost a little more to buy I'd highly recommend having one - you'll be glad you did if you're ever unfortunate enough to otherwise find out the hard way!

In the past 7 years I have suffere 3 punctures that would have been way beyond repair by a so-called puncture repair kit.  Without a spare wheel I would on one occasion have been stranded in a lonely place (with no mobile phone signal) at 11pm on a cold winter's night.  On another occasion having a spare wheel allowed a quick wheel change and I still caught the ferry.  I have always added a spare wheel (NOT a space saver) to all my cars and will never buy a car that is incapable of carrying a spare wheel.  If carrying a spare slightly raises the boot floor I consider that a worthwhile sacrifice.

• Like 1

I understand that tyre repair kits are the thing these days to keep headline costs down, etc, but has anyone here actually used one? How effective are they?

Yes, I've used one - read my thoughts on it: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313826-if-youre-thinking-of-not-ordering-a-spare-wheel-think-again/

Does anyone know what the bolt pattern is on the Superb?

5 x 112 maybe?

I have a spare wheel from a previous car with a brand new tyre on, I was going to wait till delivery to see if it fits (then buy a different on if needed).

Does anyone know what the bolt pattern is on the Superb?

5 x 112 maybe?

I have a spare wheel from a previous car with a brand new tyre on, I was going to wait till delivery to see if it fits (then buy a different on if needed).

Have a look in this thread for some more info: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/365644-winter-wheel-brake-sizes/

• Like 1

£100 extremely well spent. Kit does not work on side wall punctures that I have had and when you have a puncture in the dark on a winters night and the recovery people say that have not got a wheel to sell you it really hurts. My daughter also had to ring a friend to bring a spare wheel so the AA could swap wheels and it took hours. Note if they can get you a wheel it is their price you pay....

Personally I think its so wrong that the vast majority of manufacturers automatically supply new cars with this useless and pointless rubbish, wasn't so many years ago that ALL cars came with full size spares. Anything to save a buck! they even have the audacity to charge extra (sometimes £100's) for a pushbike sized spare wheel. Its a dealbreaker with me.....no spare wheel, I go elsewhere!

Rant over

Personally I think its so wrong that the vast majority of manufacturers automatically supply new cars with this useless and pointless rubbish, wasn't so many years ago that ALL cars came with full size spares. Anything to save a buck! they even have the audacity to charge extra (sometimes £100's) for a pushbike sized spare wheel. Its a dealbreaker with me.....no spare wheel, I go elsewhere!

Rant over

I need to be careful or I will be off on one too.....they got rid of them to be greener is the excuse i.e. lighter vehicle, more mpg, less rubber in the world...

Does anyone know if I can "Buy" the spare wheel for £100 and own it myself and not have it part of the lease which I'm getting the car on? It would be a shame not to keep it, particularly if my next car is compatible? Or even if not, I could flog it on ebay.

others on here can confirm, but I think that a car has to be sold with either a spare wheel or a repair kit, but this is turn will probably not count for a private sale of an used car.

The repair kit is specified to keep the weight down (hence emissions), not a cost issue. My personal suspicion is that the £100 is simply a nominal cost to cover organising the change on your vehicle.

I would not have a repair kit. In addition to the tales above there are lots of other tales that use of the compressor and sealant ruins the tyre even if it does seal the puncture.

OK, so I'll really have to pay for the wheel or get a second hand one.

Does this one look correct? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-Yeti-SUPERB-Octavia-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-Tyre-16-/191678732524?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda%7CModel%3ASuperb&hash=item2ca0f158ec

Edited by thewinelake

Remember if you buy a spare wheel as in post above, you will need to buy a jack, wrench etc. And if you plan on keeping it in the boot you will need raised floor etc, as said above its expensive if not ticked as an option when buying car.

When I bought a 2009 Octavia with a big lump of polystyrene and some shaving foam in place of a spare wheel was buy a spare wheel from a scrappers for £10.  3 years later I had a blowout on the M1 ...and found that the holes didn't quite line up! Apparently later ones are a wee bit more widely-spaced.

Having been recovered by the AA and changed ALL my tyres, ATS kindly gave me a wheel that fitted with the best of my old tyres on as a spare.

This is only the second time I've had a blowout in 40+ years of driving - other punctures have been slower and noticed at home on the drive.  Years ago, a manufacturer of car jacks told me that the average jack was only expected to be used 7 times in its life. 

A spare wheel is like any insurance - you pays your money you take your chances.

Having said all that, I still have a wheel-well sized lump of grey polystyrene taking up space in the garage.  It will have to go soon, as we're moving house! Do I simply put it out for the binmen, or could it be put to some other use?

Having said all that, I still have a wheel-well sized lump of grey polystyrene taking up space in the garage. It will have to go soon, as we're moving house! Do I simply put it out for the binmen, or could it be put to some other use?

Ebay is your friend - somebody will buy it