Guess the hire car?

Coops

I can't believe I am saying this, I don't have an insignia but I have a 61 Plate Astra CDTI estate and quite impressed with it, comfortable more then powerful enough and good on fuel, also not a bad looking car :peek:  The Vauxhall garage have been really good with regards to looking after me as well. 

With regards to the hire car, well I have always ended up with small cars so I am guessing if you don't get an estate- Ford Focus, Astra estate then maybe a Fiesta, Corsa or Fiat Panda?

I've now spent a full day with the car to Leeds and back.

It's actually a very capable car and not too bad. For me, the seats are terrible but apart from that everything works as it should. Built in sat nav is good, Bluetooth excellent and the engine pulls well in any gear, think its about a 160/170 BHP engine.

The boot is cavernous but I don't like the way the whole back end lifts up, its like opening a Hercules transport plane! The cruise control is more responsive than the Skoda and increments speed quicker. Also has a speed limit function which is useful in congested roadwork sections where the speed is constantly changing.

Can't be sure on fuel economy just yet, but trip indicates around 50 mpg.

If you want an inoffensive car to pound the roads, it does exactly that.

Body shop have called, the Superb is threw paint and will be ready tomorrow.

Much as I'll miss the sat nav (it has been useful this week and last), I am looking forward to comfortable HEATED seats back!

Think I got a bum deal in the hire car stakes though - just been into the fleet system to confirm the hire end date, and a colleague ordered a 1.6 manual and got:

XC70 D5 SE LUX NAV AWD

:x

I had my Baby Beemer in for a software update a few weeks ago and got a 2 series MPV thing :( the next time I took it in for a headlight change I got an M3 :)  I am aiming for an M5 next :D

A girl can dream I guess!

I've gone one better, ordered a brand new Superb which comes with Columbus!

:clap:

Expensive way round to do it but fair enough :D

And even better it's the new style Columbus!

• Like 1

A girl can dream I guess!

When I had my Merc C class in for a body repair (23 hours old and some #### did a hit and run on me in London), I was offered a loan car. I said anything was fine and asked for a Smart car. They said I had to have the same class or above! Sadly, I genuinely wanted to borrow a Smart car :(

That's ridiculous. You'd have thought they'd be happy to get rid of you with a Smart car so they can keep hold of the better hire cars!

If you haven't had a drive of one then I recommend it. They're fun! My mum has a 2002 599cc one. It's not fast on paper but actually goes pretty well and the engine sounds cool. Also quite impressed with the torque from such a tiny engine. Pootling along at 30mph with a gentle tickle on the throttle and it pulled really well without a down change.

That's ridiculous. You'd have thought they'd be happy to get rid of you with a Smart car so they can keep hold of the better hire cars!

If you haven't had a drive of one then I recommend it. They're fun! My mum has a 2002 599cc one. It's not fast on paper but actually goes pretty well and the engine sounds cool. Also quite impressed with the torque from such a tiny engine. Pootling along at 30mph with a gentle tickle on the throttle and it pulled really well without a down change.

I took one in as a part ex once and had a hoot screaming around in circles in the compound around the back of the dealership. Also discovered that speed bumps are an experience in their own right if taken at speed :D Gear change was a little 'intrusive' but my back got better after a few days. Probably the most low speed fun I've had in a car

Hehe.

Brilliant!

Yes the gear changes are a little jerky but for what it is it's fine. It's no DSG!

I believe they have really sharpened up the gear changes in the later model cars.

• 1 year later...