What is the difference in post build week 22 cars that allows Smartlink?

Pjm57

Does anyone know what the difference is between pre and post week 22 cars that allows Smartlink to be activated. Is it simply a new Bolero Mk2 or some major difference in the canbus that prevents an upgrade.

I found the Kenwood MIB upgrade on line and a box opening video. It is basically a couple of boxes, one an interface and the other the GPS brain, a gps antenna and various harnesses.

I am at a loss as to how the 'smartlink' change can be much different.

I appreciate that none of the pre week 22 cars have smartlink but was hoping someone would know what they have done that is so radical it prevents the earlier cars being upgraded. As we all know most of the software is there for accessing via VCDS so I assume it is a hardware change. It is those details I was looking for but thanks for your input.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Would anyone happen to know, if an early model Fabia could be upgraded to Smartlink? Feels a bit stupid to have externally similar Bolero in MY16 Octavia, but MY15 Fabia needed to have non-iOS phone to have nav etc. working as it should.

Would anyone happen to know, if an early model Fabia could be upgraded to Smartlink? Feels a bit stupid to have externally similar Bolero in MY16 Octavia, but MY15 Fabia needed to have non-iOS phone to have nav etc. working as it should.

I was told that pre week 22 cars CANNOT be upgraded to Smartlink.

It is a hardware and software upgrade, and needs installing during the build process apparently.

Skoda were meant to be working on an upgrade of sorts for pre week 22 cars to allow Smartlink, but this has never been more than pie in the sky.

This is the reason that I pushed for the Kenwood MIB Nav, but this does not add any Mirrorlink or Smartlink capability, it is just a high end Sat Nav.

It is a hardware and software upgrade, and needs installing during the build process apparently.

Skoda were meant to be working on an upgrade of sorts for pre week 22 cars to allow Smartlink, but this has never been more than pie in the sky.

This is the reason that I pushed for the Kenwood MIB Nav, but this does not add any Mirrorlink or Smartlink capability, it is just a high end Sat Nav.

Who exactly told you this? Skoda by any chance; I'm sure they wouldn't people to know it was anything too easy otherwise we'd all be demanding it ;-)

I can't imagine it's more than a Bolero Mk2 as has been suggested? With ApplePlay etc. readily becoming available in aftermarket units I can't see it being that technical to achieve. The new Bolero units obviously have updated software but significant hardware differences or "something" that can only be installed during build...........I remain to be convinced!

Regards Bob

Who exactly told you this? Skoda by any chance; I'm sure they wouldn't people to know it was anything too easy otherwise we'd all be demanding it ;-)

I can't imagine it's more than a Bolero Mk2 as has been suggested? With ApplePlay etc. readily becoming available in aftermarket units I can't see it being that technical to achieve. The new Bolero units obviously have updated software but significant hardware differences or "something" that can only be installed during build...........I remain to be convinced!

Regards Bob

I remain to be convinced too, but VW group don't lie........................oh wait a minute

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Problem was solved earlier this year - update to Fabia Estate. Today iOS 10 update fook'd up both Octavia's and Fabia's CarPlay :D

It is a hardware change, I have a pre wk 22 car and I have part number 5Q0 035 820 if you look in ETKA there is a 5Q0 035 820 A for cars built after wk22. But the plot thickens, I managed to get a scan of a new post wk22 car and this had the part number 5Q0 035 842 A which defiantly has smart link and appears as a selection in ETKA for models post wk22, there are then a couple more options and have seen one other appear in a scan posted on ross tech, i'm guessing the other option is the box for amundson.

The long code was the same for 5Q0 035 820 and 5Q0 035 842 A but there were a few changes in the ad map. I really want to give it a go and pop a new unit in but they are £530 from Skoda, if I cant get it to work its a very expensive paper weight plus which unit do you go for. The box itself sits just behind the glovebox near the SD card slot, the screen connects separately and the part # stays the same for this in all models.

I imagine the software would come pre-loaded on the unit and in an ideal world it would just need coding to the car and it all work but i'm not enough of an expert to know for sure. Keep meaning to speak to the wiz's on hear but little one is keeping me busy, and keeps eating into the smart link fund.

I have a pre week 22 Fabia 1.2 petrol car bought in April 2015. To my mind Skoda put out a system not fit for purpose especially when so few android phones worked it. There advertising talked of an integrated system implying it would work with any phone when in fact it only worked with half a dozen Android phones. A new phone and Sygic mapping would have cost me about £500 as I wanted a PAYG phone After several phone calls to Skoda I accepted a Garmin satnav. I was told by the dealer that the integrated system only worked with an Android phone some members were told it would work with an iPhone. If you look at the posts from April 2015 you will see the mass of misinformation Skoda put out as to why owners phones did not work with the integrated system Joe

I have a pre week 22 Fabia 1.2 petrol car bought in April 2015. To my mind Skoda put out a system not fit for purpose especially when so few android phones worked it. There advertising talked of an integrated system implying it would work with any phone when in fact it only worked with half a dozen Android phones. A new phone and Sygic mapping would have cost me about £500 as I wanted a PAYG phone After several phone calls to Skoda I accepted a Garmin satnav. I was told by the dealer that the integrated system only worked with an Android phone some members were told it would work with an iPhone. If you look at the posts from April 2015 you will see the mass of misinformation Skoda put out as to why owners phones did not work with the integrated system Joe

Have a look at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/342765-mirrorlink/ on this forum there are 16 pages of the problems pre week 22 owners had trying to get Mirrorlink to work with there phones Joe

Yeah, mine is fine following iOS 10 update, although still suffers from the same occasional dropout as before. Apple Maps really is horrendous. Even in iOS 10. I'm still resorting to using Waze at the moment and then running music via Bluetooth. Can still 'hey siri' with the iPhone plugged into the 12V.

These units are all covered by component security so there's a trip to the dealer involved when changing them whether you like it or not.

Hi James, if you were to put a new unit in the car would the dealer have to link it to the car using the dealer system then could it be coded in the normal way with VCDS?

Do you also know if a car can have 2 units linked to it, not at the same time but if you fail to install a new unit can you go back to the old one?

If you could elaborate on component protection I would be very great full, i'm intreegd

It's all a dealer only job. You can change back to an original unit but the same process has to be applied and component security removed once again.

In theory some units could be removed and a new one coded in so both can be swapped over and changed at will.

Compnent security is a system installed on various components to prevent parts from being removed from one car and fitted to another. Audi and VW have been using it for years and now it's rolled on to Skoda.

• Like 1