Michelin Cross Climate

The New Michelin Cross Climate

Signed off for Winter in the Alps
And fully tested by TUV Sud

And the write ups/reviews look good
I am seriously looking at​ a set for my front wheel drive Octavia MKIII Estate – you have to fit as a full

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2015-02/michelin-crossclimate-tyres/

• Like 1

Considered a set of these for my Octavia....nice all season compromise over running two sets of tyres.....problem is they are neither a fantastic summer tyre or winter tyre in isolation...thats obviously the compromise.

I can't comment on their winter credentials yet, but they seem quieter and more compliant than the Dunlop sport maxx RT that were fitted from new. Grip seems fine, but they haven't been on long.

Well, for better or worse, I took delivery of a set of Nokian Weatherproofs today for my VRS. The original Contis need to be replaced soon, so will see if they feel okay. I would have gone for the Michelins if they were available in my size.

If the compromise is too much, I will post up.

Well, for better or worse, I took delivery of a set of Nokian Weatherproofs today for my VRS. The original Contis need to be replaced soon, so will see if they feel okay. I would have gone for the Michelins if they were available in my size.

If the compromise is too much, I will post up.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with them. Mine have been on for six weeks now, and I don't miss the Dunlops I had before. The Nokians are a little less precise in hard cornering, but it seems to be well controlled - it's not like they let go & slide but more a slight creep. I've not managed to get them to lose traction yet.

Just a small question on the Nokians, do they require an additional bit of pressure, as recommended for winters?

My Contis don't have the best grip on cooler days anyway, so maybe it won't be too bad. ( I hope. ;). )

I ran the Dunlops at the load/speed pressures (2.4 bar front, 3.0 rear) rather than the standard (2.2 all round), to stop the Yeti wallowing any more than necessary in the bends. I'm running these at the winter pressures for standard (2.4 all round, so just lower at the back) and they're as composed as the Dunlops. Grip is good, it's just I notice a little bit of four wheel drift taking corners or roundabouts compared to the same speed on the Dunlops. It's only a matter of an inch or so drift, and the Nokian WR A3s I had as winter tyres were similar (though were also 205 vs 225).

It's the only downside, if it is one, that I can find with them so far. In the Yeti size the tyres are 98 XL, compared to 94 of the Dunlops, so the stiffer sidewalls help. They're better over rough roads and potholes, even with the same pressure at the front.

Edited by dbg400
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

They don't do them in a vrs 18" wheel though... Are all weather tyres purely for the small of wheel?

All weather tyres will always be a bit of a compromise, something like a vRS is not something I would want to compromise on.

It may change as they extend the range of sizes but as it stands even the Nokian Weatherproofs do not do the 18s in anything above V rating. Need Y rating for summer use on mine and I am sure the same for the vRS.

You need them in the same way as you need Super Unleaded. Might be a recommendation but your car will be fine 99% of the time at the lower spec.

If you're managing to drive where the missing performance is noticeable you have my respect. ;)

My 245PS VAG car is on H rated tyres which are the not recommended size and it's handling better than on the stock setup. Insurer is aware, but I'm getting some Nokians fitted on Thursday so I could potentially exceed 130 (on an Alpine pass)! Still a compromise?

You need them in the same way as you need Super Unleaded. Might be a recommendation but your car will be fine 99% of the time at the lower spec.

If you're managing to drive where the missing performance is noticeable you have my respect. ;)

My 245PS VAG car is on H rated tyres which are the not recommended size and it's handling better than on the stock setup. Insurer is aware, but I'm getting some Nokians fitted on Thursday so I could potentially exceed 130 (on an Alpine pass)! Still a compromise?

The problem is super unleaded is a recommendation, normal unleaded is still approved. The manufacturer states a minimum speed rating for each car/wheel/tyre combination. For most Octavia models on the 18" wheels it is generally Y.

There maybe a caveat in some countries that you can run winter tyres below this but if they are made for summer use too I am not sure that would stick. 

Trust me when I say that should you be involved in a serious accident involving injury, fault or not (and I wish that on no-one) the tyres would be under scrutiny like you would not believe. Should they be below the manufacturers specification, your insurers would not absolve you from what might happen. I have seen that process happen myself more than once, thankfully from the sidelines. It changed how I view tyres.

I would say the missing performance of a tyre is noticeable every time you have to stand on the brakes. The few yards difference between one and another may be the difference between hitting something(someone) and not. I have proved that one to myself with winter tyres a few times now.

There is nothing at all wrong with these new generation of all season tyres, I'm thinking of them for one of mine, but they do not make them in the higher ratings for a reason, just like winter tyres. They are not going to be suitable for everything in all situations.

The fact that they are not available in the higher ratings makes me think they are tuned to "winter" rather than "summer" so the compromise may be more noticeable in the summer. If you have ever driven on winter tyres over 30o, you will know what I mean.

Personally I think tyres are more about the "where" "when" and "how" rather than the "what" you drive. Horses for courses again

I would say the missing performance of a tyre is noticeable every time you have to stand on the brakes. The few yards difference between one and another may be the difference between hitting something(someone) and not. I have proved that one to myself with winter tyres a few times now.

There is nothing at all wrong with these new generation of all season tyres, I'm thinking of them for one of mine, but they do not make them in the higher ratings for a reason, just like winter tyres. They are not going to be suitable for everything in all situations.

The fact that they are not available in the higher ratings makes me think they are tuned to "winter" rather than "summer" so the compromise may be more noticeable in the summer. If you have ever driven on winter tyres over 30o, you will know what I mean.

Personally I think tyres are more about the "where" "when" and "how" rather than the "what" you drive. Horses for courses again

I don't disagree much with your logic and maybe my Super Unleaded analogy was a bit too hastily used given the time I replied and the easy relevance to your TSI. You can feel the difference - I know from experience in another car.

It would have been too easy to put my thoughts in black and white which then may have been misinterpreted in their tone. What I was thinking was that to differentiate tyres of different speed ratings requires exceptional circumstances if everything else remains the same.  We are unlikely to be driving at these limits even if we could tell the difference.

It's not a debate about summer, winter or all-season tyres as these are on a spectrum with commercial influences and compromises.  You can for instance find W rated winters, but the bulk of the market is aimed at the H rating and more recently V.

I suppose it's probably best summed up by saying that you "need" Y rated tyres in the same way as you don't "need" to go over 70 MPH.  One of those I can change by getting approval from my insurer in advance.  It's unlikely that the other is strictly complied with in the same way as I don't strictly change back to summer tyres the moment that conditions favour them. I agree it can be unnerving if the Easter heatwave hits before you've had chance to change back, but you drive accordingly.  VAG might tell me I need "AO" suffixed tyres, but if I don't want them they're not getting fitted.  My current ones are "AO"s but only because they only exist at that size in that pattern as "AO"s and most importantly they work.

Like you say, the "what" is of little relevance - until it dictates the tyre's service description.

I suppose it's probably best summed up by saying that you "need" Y rated tyres in the same way as you don't "need" to go over 70 MPH.  One of those I can change by getting approval from my insurer in advance.  It's unlikely that the other is strictly complied with in the same way as I don't strictly change back to summer tyres the moment that conditions favour them. I agree it can be unnerving if the Easter heatwave hits before you've had chance to change back, but you drive accordingly.  VAG might tell me I need "AO" suffixed tyres, but if I don't want them they're not getting fitted.  My current ones are "AO"s but only because they only exist at that size in that pattern as "AO"s and most importantly they work.

post-125891-0-76084300-1447689052_thumb.jpg

What I was getting at was most, if not all manufacturers have a list like this Skoda one (attached here for the vRS)

"Permissible wheel-tyre combinations" is pretty clear. They do not specify when you change your tyres from summer to winter or what brand etc but they do specify the minimum speed rating for that model with that wheel.

This is what you would be accountable to if the worst were to happen, I have seen exactly that, (thankfully not me) and ignorance is no defence.

It did open my eyes and make me think a bit about what I fit to the car, personally I do not fit anything that could be seen as being less than what is listed in that section for my car. Not trying to preach, just hoping it may help others not end up in the situation I saw someone end up in a few years back.

You can get a Cross Climate in 17" W

I changed my rims from the factory fit 17" to OEM 16" as there was going to be no improvement in handling and the 16" offered a better ride - check out Honest John and the regular all brand issue of huge wheels fitted at factory for no real reason while a smaller rim / better profile would offer handling and ride comfort

The Speed rating is critical as said here about insurance claims but many cars have over rated rims and wheels fitted and that ties you in to expensive tyres later on

There is also the issue of below +8 summer tyres dont perform fully

HJ has a bee in his bonnet about wheels and an aversion to anything large. I'm almost surprised he doesn't just have a standard answer telling people that their choice of car should take second place to its comfort as determined by a middle aged man (not me although I am middle aged).

His answer to the "Continental Drift" question in Saturday's Telegraph was incorrect. Even if he hadn't done the typo it is still incomplete because he has limited his opinion to his own parameters.

On most other issues I value his opinion and it's the reason I read The Telegraph. A more rounded view on wheels and tyres would be more helpful to readers as would some transparency on his declared interests.

attachicon.gifPermissible Wheels Tyres.jpg

What I was getting at was most, if not all manufacturers have a list like this Skoda one (attached here for the vRS)

"Permissible wheel-tyre combinations" is pretty clear. They do not specify when you change your tyres from summer to winter or what brand etc but they do specify the minimum speed rating for that model with that wheel.

This is what you would be accountable to if the worst were to happen, I have seen exactly that, (thankfully not me) and ignorance is no defence.

It did open my eyes and make me think a bit about what I fit to the car, personally I do not fit anything that could be seen as being less than what is listed in that section for my car. Not trying to preach, just hoping it may help others not end up in the situation I saw someone end up in a few years back.

The speed rating isn't that important (to a certain extent).  The load rating is the one that is a minimum that should be adhered to.

I'll be honest & state I'm not aware of the exact rules in your jurisdiction but where I live there is some "wiggle room" with the speed rating.

Basically, if your tyres are rated at 140kph (N rated!  I don't think I've ever seen a tyre that low!) or less you can't fit a lesser rated tyre.

If the tyre is rated above 140kph then you can fit a lesser rated tyre right down to 140kph.  If you do carry out this madness you have to fit a 50mm x 50mm placard to the drivers side window saying so.  The whole point of allowing this is so that people can fit Mud & Snow tyres.

Even using your table as a guide, you can still fit a V-rated (240kph)  tyre without issue or contravention of the manufacturer's recommendation.

/googles....    According to 3 sites I've just looked at, (inc the British Tyre manufacturers Association), that (and I'm not saying I agree with it):

"UK Law (The Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 24 through to 27 deals specifically with tyres) says that with a national speed limit of 70 mph, it is quite safe and not illegal to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating, provided you do not exceed this reduced rating"

• Like 1

Although that's there (and I've previously satisfied myself by checking it for both tyres and DRLs) I think the prime concern is that some drivers would not like to have to test this with their insurance company should the need arise.  It's quite understandable and remains the safer option for complying both with insurance and with Skoda's warranty.

Providing you accept any additional risk (preferably minimised through the prior agreement of your insurers) and remain legal, the restrictions on prescribed tyres become less strict.  Unfortunately it's then possible to choose something ill-suited but still legal so manufacturers publish their "simple" lists.

Honest John also endorses Millers diesel additive.  It might be good but to avoid the risk of adding "snake oil" manufacturers will tell you explicitly that you cannot use additives in their diesel cars.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/schedule/3/made

Particularly the bit that says "The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle"

AFAIK to deviate from the manufacturers type approval criteria (such as the list above) its not a real problem but you need an IVA and carry the certificate with you.

I like simple, I just fit tyres of that list  :)

• Like 1

The previous subsection is also interesting in that it suggests that providing the load index is appropriate for the plated max axle capacity it's legal.  As others have said, the dynamic forces mean there's less safety margin, but that's a whole other story... ;)

Although that's there (and I've previously satisfied myself by checking it for both tyres and DRLs) I think the prime concern is that some drivers would not like to have to test this with their insurance company should the need arise.  It's quite understandable and remains the safer option for complying both with insurance and with Skoda's warranty.

That's understandable.

I don't know enough about UK insurance rules to comment.  Down here the insurance companies state "The vehicle must be roadworthy / comply with the government rules."