2.0 Petrol or 2.0 Diesel

Thanks DC, I am about 95% convinced now that I will buy the petrol, I just hope that I get a chance to test drive one at the dealers.

Best regards.

Daníel.

I wish you luck with that!

• Like 1

Do you know if the MKII Octavia vRS uses this TSi engine?

One thing that has concerned me with a couple I have seen is how much timing chain rattle they get once there is a few miles on them (louder than a CR diesel!) not to mention the timing chain failures (not sure if that is on the TSI or TSFi engine??)v

We've owned two MK2 vRS Octy's, the original 07 had the TFSi unit with the belt-drive camshafts, & her current '11 plate FL with the chain-drive, which is the same as my Superb & the VW.

Max mileage on any of them is 40K, & no unusual noises to report.

DC

• 7 months later...

Hi all, interesting topic and yes my own dilemma too. Skoda are the only VW group brand that offer the petrol (large estate)unlike the Audi A6 or VW Passat which are diesel only (excluding the S6 that is). I wish they would offer the 1.8TSi DSG Superb as in Germany here in the UK, if they did I think they would get many more petrol sales. Keen on the 220 but committing to that is hard with the temptation of the 280!

Interestingly have just changed my 12 plate VW Golf 1.6 Diesel DSG for a new 1.4 TSi (125) Golf DSG and what a difference. The diesel and DSG gearbox were 'tuned' for economy and in normal drive mode a nightmare with the DSG box changing up far too early. Could also be hesitant moving off and had to think ahead, VW forums full of nightmare stories where that few seconds hesitation moving into a roundabout almost caused a collision (need S mode). MPG was good at about 49 mpg but my 1.4 petrol with only 1000 miles on is recording about 42-44 mpg already. DSG take up, drive etc so much smoother. In the diesel I often had to select S mode, never an issue in the petrol. As you say petrol engines are far more economical now, no AdBlue hassle (still an extra expense, not the 150 though), smelly hands at the pumps and the VW dealer said the rise in sale of petrol Golfs has been astronomical (before issue of emissions came up). If you look at the real mpg figures for diesel you will also find them far lower than advertised.

The 220 looks a great car, yes wish we had the 1.8TSi which would be a no brainer for me, 280 wow, if you choose that mpg is not your main issue anyway! Sorry if sound biased against diesel but doing no more than 12,000 miles a year can choose between the two. Some of you are worried about petrol residuals but looking ahead I might be worried about diesel residuals as tide is maybe turning against them if keeping car long term. Have been told that one of the main reason we have had such a push with diesels in the EU is because manufactures are charged for the percentage of car engines that produce over 130 CO2 which 'hits' petrol engines. New awareness of NO2 problem will change that.

If you like the diesel then its a great engine regardless of bhp, if you want the petrol go for it, real mpg closer than you think and a generally a smoother power plant.

Edited by sam555
  • Like 2

You're conundrum is pretty much why I picked the 1.4 ACT TSI engine.  Just replaced an EGR valve on my S2, it went 1 week before the lease ended.  I do to much short trip and start/stop journey's these days.  That and NOx.

Hi all, interesting topic and yes my own dilemma too. Skoda are the only VW group brand that offer the petrol (large estate)unlike the Audi A6 or VW Passat which are diesel only (excluding the S6 that is). I wish they would offer the 1.8TSi DSG Superb as in Germany here in the UK, if they did I think they would get many more petrol sales. Keen on the 220 but committing to that is hard with the temptation of the 280!

Interestingly have just changed my 12 plate VW Golf 1.6 Diesel DSG for a new 1.4 TSi (125) Golf DSG and what a difference. The diesel and DSG gearbox were 'tuned' for economy and in normal drive mode a nightmare with the DSG box changing up far too early. Could also be hesitant moving off and had to think ahead, VW forums full of nightmare stories where that few seconds hesitation moving into a roundabout almost caused a collision (need S mode). MPG was good at about 49 mpg but my 1.4 petrol with only 1000 miles on is recording about 42-44 mpg already. DSG take up, drive etc so much smoother. In the diesel I often had to select S mode, never an issue in the petrol. As you say petrol engines are far more economical now, no AdBlue hassle (still an extra expense, not the 150 though), smelly hands at the pumps and the VW dealer said the rise in sale of petrol Golfs has been astronomical (before issue of emissions came up). If you look at the real mpg figures for diesel you will also find them far lower than advertised.

The 220 looks a great car, yes wish we had the 1.8TSi which would be a no brainer for me, 280 wow, if you choose that mpg is not your main issue anyway! Sorry if sound biased against diesel but doing no more than 12,000 miles a year can choose between the two. Some of you are worried about petrol residuals but looking ahead I might be worried about diesel residuals as tide is maybe turning against them if keeping car long term. Have been told that one of the main reason we have had such a push with diesels in the EU is because manufactures are charged for the percentage of car engines that produce over 130 CO2 which 'hits' petrol engines. New awareness of NO2 problem will change that.

If you like the diesel then its a great engine regardless of bhp, if you want the petrol go for it, real mpg closer than you think and a generally a smoother power plant.

Have the 2.0 220TSI and it is a great engine, plenty of power when needed but happy to cruise.  MPG wise, straight out of the box was 37.5MPG and that was on 95RON fuel.  Have run 97RON ever since and the average is staying between 35-40 for a full tank of fuel.  (ESSO fuel)

My commute is 10miles each way on A roads and the MPG live data always hits 40MPG by the end of the run, obviously in a morning it has to warm up and at night it is often sat in traffic leaving the town.  Also START/STOP is disabled.

• Like 2

My next choice will be petrol

I have got 2.0 tdi and drive to work 11 miles one way (70%) motorway. Additionally couple times trip in the week to supermarket and dpf regeneration switch on roughly every 200 miles.

The most anointing think is that you have sport car so sametime you want to drive faster but if you do that without steady drive on motorway for few miles afterwards its more likely that regen will be on while parking on you drive.

• Like 1

We too have the 2.0 TSI 220 after many years of diesels, and I wouldn't be without it. Due to an unfortunate incident we've just had a courtesy car for two weeks, which was a 2.0 TDCI Mondeo. Although it was a well engineered car the engine was just awful in comparison to the silent, wafty petrol. Like Pentaxian we are finding the economy excellent, though our journeys are much shorter than his because we're disabled and pretty housebound without it (average 2 miles to his 10). We get about 32mpg over a tank so far, but it's only done 1,300 miles. Around town we get low to mid 30s and on a longer run (10 miles plus) we're easily knocking 40mpg. Can't argue with that for the power, responsiveness and silky drive on tap. :thumbup:

We had been using only V-Power but now it's up to almost 120ppl again I've started filling up with Costco Super Unleaded (97 RON) with a dose of Millers Petrol Ecomax. This adds 2 RON and a ton of detergents, giving decent quality 99 RON fuel. Costco super is currently 103ppl (cheaper than supermarket standard stuff!) and Millers works out around 2ppl on top. Bargain!

Edited by Derv

• 3 years later...

Just been offered a deal on 66 plate 2.0 petrol Estate to replace my 16 plate 2.0 diesel Hatch as I need a hoist for a mobility scooter and try as I might I cant get one to fit the hatch. I understand the scales of economy in buying new but used is somewhat different. 

What's the consensus - wait for a diesel or go for the petrol. 15 mpg is a lot to give up but no dpf nonsense??

Chip