Am i too old?

greenfabiavrs

On 27/03/2017 at 22:52, oldbiker said:

Hello, as you might have guessed I am getting on. The secret I find is to ride regularly and for me a light bike. It does not matter how old you are (I am 71) as long as you are fit, as much as how much you ride. I am out on my GSXR 1000 at least a couple of times a week and clock up around 8,000 miles a year on bikes. I appreciate it is not always easy when you work but there are too many bike owners with lovely 5 year old bikes with less than 5k on them, you see them in dealers every week. There is no substitute for regular riding to remain safe.

I do not do 8k in my car a year so adding a thousand miles a year to each of my bikes is quite an achievement. Ducati got none last year and needs to be sold. Grom got about 1300 and Enfield only about 900. About 200-300 on classics over the year as well but non have speedos working well enough to record mileage 

9 hours ago, freelunch said:

Lincolnshire used to be a nice place for a ride, until the invention of the average speed camera.

Depends on which bit. No cameras near me but you do have to hope of a little warning for the mobile vans 

Voxmagna and Oldbiker, I still hope to be riding at your ages but I feel the stiffness coming in my fingers already even though I'm cough half you age. The comment about regular riding is spot on and confess myself to being a fair weather rider with the bike getting few rides out during the dark months and I know myself that the first rides when the weather warms up that my position and observation could be better.

Only yesterday morning did I witness another fair weather biker riding a retro style Truimph on my regular commute attempt to filter through a crossroads that act as a natural pinch point. I literately took a gasp of breathe as he filter up the right side of truck with a another coming towards him. Due to the left bend at the junction the driver of the truck he was filtering past couldn't see him due to the articulation of the truck but the oncoming truck driver did see what was about to happen slammed on the brakes and blasted his horn. The biker had to back pedal out between the trucks whilst both drivers were effing and jeffing at him.  The biker wasn't a young lad but if he carries on riding the way he was he'll not be getting much older either. 

• Like 1