Columbus Retrofit

I decided to upgrade the factory Swing unit with a used Columbus one that I bought from a Lithuanian guy. I went for the Columbus and not for the Amundsen+ like Chris because I think the DVD player is a big plus, even though it cannot play other video formats.

I visited my dealer, bought the appropriate frame (5JA858415), and today I got time to fit it.

I removed the Swing and plugged the Columbus in, but not the GPS antenna as I want to think about where I will mount it first.

The unit turns on, plays Radio, DVD, DAB (apparently, I can't test it) and I can also use the telephone with the factory BT module.

However, the MFD does not list "Audio" as an option anymore, so I lost A2DP audio from my phone. Moreover, the unit seems not to accept SDHC cards, so I'm stuck with <2GB cards.

Carista indicates errors after installing, including problems with the microphone (works fine), the twitters (also fine), the gps antenna (makes sense, have not fitted it yet), the CD-Changer (does not make sense as I don't have one) and the CAN Gateway (that needs to be coded, I know). Also, Carista shows that the Columbus P/N is 1Z0035680A, while the label on the unit shows 3T0035686B. I don't know which is correct. The label also shows HW:11 and SW:1004.

I must say that it was a bargain unit that was on sell at a lithuanian auction site. It was in a good condition outside, but what makes me suspicious is that the security seal on the top plate (where the stickers are) was broken. However, the SKZ on the sticker matches the one on the code card I was given (and what I used when I turned it on for the first time). The seller claims it is an older unit that has been upgraded with newer firmware and 2015 maps. I cannot verify this though.

My questions:

1) Do I need to change any fuse at the fusebox? I noticed that the Swing had a 15A fuse, while the Columbus came with a 20A one.

2) The hinges on the new faceplate are different than on the old one. I did not place it all the way in yet because I'm not sure if it can be removed again without breaking. Chris, I think you have bought the same one, is it easy to remove again?

3) Any advice on the VCDS errors?

4) Anyone knows if the unit is upgradeable? There is no hidden menu to check the firmware version now.

I reverted back to the Swing temporarily until I figure out all these things.

Sounds like the seller swapped the top plate for a later one so it now looks like a better machine. The code cards are not relevant, people just make them and print them off as required. I hope it was cheap.

The errors you're seeing will be because the unit was coded to a car with different options. They are not plug and play, and require coding to the car they're fitted to so that all the options work correctly.

1. I wouldn't change the fuse. 15a will be fine.

2. Not sure about the "hinges", but the unit will certainly come back out again.

3. As said, the unit requires coding to remove the errors.

4. On an old 1Z0 unit, I wouldn't be forcing any upgrades on in a hurry. I'd just accept that it is what it is and live with it. However, if you feel brave then that's up to you. Maps will go on with little problem I reckon, as long as the DVD drive is up for reading DL DVDs. A good many are not though.

Sounds like the seller swapped the top plate for a later one so it now looks like a better machine. The code cards are not relevant, people just make them and print them off as required. I hope it was cheap.

The errors you're seeing will be because the unit was coded to a car with different options. They are not plug and play, and require coding to the car they're fitted to so that all the options work correctly.

1. I wouldn't change the fuse. 15a will be fine.

2. Not sure about the "hinges", but the unit will certainly come back out again.

3. As said, the unit requires coding to remove the errors.

4. On an old 1Z0 unit, I wouldn't be forcing any upgrades on in a hurry. I'd just accept that it is what it is and live with it. However, if you feel brave then that's up to you. Maps will go on with little problem I reckon, as long as the DVD drive is up for reading DL DVDs. A good many are not though.

Thank you for your help.

I also suspected the swapped plate, asked the seller and admitted it is an 1Z0 unit, which he claims is the same.

I got it for 250 pounds with ups shipping and gps antenna. I thought it was a good price for a 3T0 unit.

As for updates, I thought it was a safe procedure, no? I hear that updates can enable e.g. SDHC support. I want to enable the hidden menu to check the current SW/HW version, can I use the method described here: https://robpol86.com/rns_510_vim.html or via VCDD adaptation/coding?

Don't touch anything recommended off that site. It's an American site and their units are different to ours. If you start loading up ISO files from there you'll undoubtedly kill your unit.

Updates in general are safe, but there's always exceptions. My rule is "If you don't want your RNS510 any more and are prepared to throw it away when you've broken it!"  then try anything you want. If you quite fancy having a sat nav unit that works, then go carefully. Firmware updates have killed units stone dead before (I have a couple here which are bricks as a result), and the older ones such as yours is under the skin are the worst of the lot for failing to read discs properly.

Enabling the hidden menu is a simple procedure with VCDS, and has no dangers other than the user doing something silly and not remembering how to revert back to what it was before.

• 3 weeks later...

A small update. Today I got my VCDS cable and managed to code the unit to eliminate those errors. In detail:

a) Got back "Audio" menu on the Maxidot, although it is empty. I must say that A2DP was working even without this menu, I just did not test it enough before.

b )Enabled "Navigation" menu. Also empty.

c) Disabled rear speaker monitoring.

d) Disabled annoying bluetooth acknowledgment soud (this is what I'm most happy about).

e) Enabled developer menu.

The only thing I have not managed to make it work is the left-hand MFSW controls (volume, next/prev etc). I tried to toggle a long-coding option (short-press something, can't remember now) but to no avail. Any advice on that?

Edited by eyegr

Try the following:

In "37-Navigation", byte 7, enable bit 7. (Communication Instrument Cluster via Operation and Display Protocol (BAP).

Regards

Spiros

Hi Spiros

Been there, done that, unfortunately no combination of bits 1 and 7 there works.

However, doing the Advanced Measuring test from VCDS I found out that the buttons actually send a message to the RNS-510, but seems that the unit cannot interpret them correctly. I will try upgrading firmware to the 4020 as I've been suggested, and failing that I will try swapping SKTABLE.FLI and PQTABLE.FLI around. I was hoping to avoid upgrading firmware due to the unknown history of the device, but I think I'll take the risk. I just have to find some time to do the tests.

Thanks.

I'd be inclined to return the unit and obtain a true 3TO unit instead. The seller sold you a product that wasn't what it appeared to be, leaving you with the risk of bricking the older type hardware.

Our Rapid now has a 3TO unit with firmware 5238 and functions perfectly.

Regards

Spiros

I'd be inclined to return the unit and obtain a true 3TO unit instead. The seller sold you a product that wasn't what it appeared to be, leaving you with the risk of bricking the older type hardware.

Our Rapid now has a 3TO unit with firmware 5238 and functions perfectly.

Regards

Spiros

From what I've gathered, even the older 1Z0 unit should upgrade fine to 5238 (modified). The thing is that my unit is of unknown history. Could be 1Z0, could be 3T0, could be mix'n'match, or worse could be stolen and badly patched to reset PIN (although if this is the case, they've done a great job with fake labels and security seals). Without knowing exactly what's going on with it, I am risking to brick it if I try to update it.

Currently I'm trying via PayPal to communicate with the seller and see what he suggests. I really don't want to send it back without a refund. I just don't trust him anymore.

As I am the type of person that likes researching, I will find a way to fix this Columbus even if the seller refuses to help me, it should be fairly easy. I am currently thinking of creating an upgrade CD containing only the necessary SKTABLE.FLI update. I will have to verify though that the EEPROM is intact as I believe that the unit will brick otherwise.

Edited by eyegr

Here's an update on my Columbus project, for those that may face similar situations in the future:

tldr version: I updated to josi's 5238 version and got back the volume controls, audio/navi menu in mfd and as a plus sdhc support, personal pois, etc. I'm as happy as I can be.

Long version:

Regarding the unit itself: rustynuts was right in that its top plate was swapped. I also found out that the label was fake. I scanned the barcode with an android app that translates it into text and numbers (it is a Code39 barcode by the way). The serial number from the barcode was different from the one written right below it, it wasn't even a Skoda serial, it was a VW one (VWZ instead of SKZ). Also, the unit is either of mixed hardware generations or it has the HW part number and the HW version changed with setconfig. Whoever did it must be a moron though, because he flashed the unit with an ancient 1Z0 firmware (version 1004) so it was clear something wasn't right.

Of course I opened a PayPal case to which the seller responded with a request to send the unit back for SW upgrade. When I pointed out that he could send me instructions to do it myself he said he couldn't. So I escalated to claim (as the postage was way to high and I had lost my trust to him). PayPal's verdict was however that for any refund I had to ship it back with a tracking number. So I thought I had nothing to lose from trying firmware upgrades.

At first I tried to only upgrade the gateway part, i.e. the VUCI folder of the update CD, using a 4020 version SKFIX cd. Did not work and semi-bricked the unit. I used the 1200 gateway fix to restore an old VUCI version which worked and reassured my that at least the EEPROM was not tampered with. Then I did an extensive research over the net and my verdict was that 5238 was my best chance. All went fine from the first try and everything works as it should in the first place.

Some conclusions:

1) Never trust what you see, almost everything can be forged if there is incentive for it.

2) I opened the unit and rustynuts was right that it was made by Siemens as it is printed on the PCB. However, Siemens IS the original manufacturer of  the RNS-510 and Continental just bought Siemens' automotive department. Therefore all procedures are the same for both.

3) josi's 5238 firmware can be installed on all RNS-510s for Skodas.

4) I used cheap CDs to install the firmware. So long as it is verified after burn, it should work fine. The upgrade process is long, very scary and needs nerves of steel though, with all these black screens, restarts, clicks from the speakers etc.

5) Installing the maps DVD is trickier but I will not discuss it in public.

6) The Skoda fix (swapping PQTABLE with SKTABLE) is only needed for pre FL Octavias, and that is because these cars had a generic VW table for the gateway. The Skoda specific one came with the FL.

7) The Rapid (and also the 2013+ Yeti and Superb I suspect) need post 3980 firmwares for MFSW/Maxidot integration because older ones don't match with the newer gateways on these cars. These cars' MFSW don't have a separate steering wheel column controller but use a slave module on the Central Electronics Module Controller. You can verify this with VCDS.

8) For anyone trying to update checksums on the upgrade CDs, use CRC-16 with 0x1021 as polynomial, 0x0000 as initial value, 0x0000 as XOR and no in/out reflection. Use Hex Workshop. There is also a separate utility that calculates checksums.

9) I used a little bit of WD-40 before I fitted the faceplate. I can't tell if this did anything to it, but I easily removed it again using a shoehorn (because it is hard and wide enough) and starting from the lower right corner.

Thanks to everyone that helped me through this.