Faint Beeping Noise when driving

Has anyone else experienced what can only be described as a sound similar to a digital watch alarm going off somewhere under the dash, or even in the engine bay, whilst driving along? It sounds electronic.

This thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/360076-low-beeping-sound-when-driving-with-cruise-control/ seems to describe something similar.

I've noticed it alot, normally when I've switched the radio off and I'm doing a steady speed - the A10 from Kings Lynn to Downham Market is where I often hear it, it's a 5 mile stretch of 40 mph road. I also heard it cruising at 60 this morning.

It seems to be independent of cruise control (happens with it on, standby and off), AC and the infotainment.

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this?

New one on me. Initial thought - possible reversing sensor buzzer malfunction?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

New one on me. Initial thought - possible reversing sensor buzzer malfunction?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

possible, it does sound similar although really, really faint. My reversing sensors appear to working perfectly too. The other thread talks about an EGR hose or turbo wastgate chirp/flutter perhaps.

Edited by PerArdua

• 4 weeks later...

doscivered a new beep - seems to happen as outside temp passes the 4c mark, with the little snowflake and temp flashing. Hppens wetehr the temperature is rising or falling. Well documented of course in my handbook!

Ah yes - the freeze warning. For my first beeps of the year this past weekend.

Time for winter tyres if you've not already fitted them.

Has anyone else experienced what can only be described as a sound similar to a digital watch alarm going off somewhere under the dash, or even in the engine bay, whilst driving along? It sounds electronic.

This thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/360076-low-beeping-sound-when-driving-with-cruise-control/ seems to describe something similar.

I've noticed it alot, normally when I've switched the radio off and I'm doing a steady speed - the A10 from Kings Lynn to Downham Market is where I often hear it, it's a 5 mile stretch of 40 mph road. I also heard it cruising at 60 this morning.

It seems to be independent of cruise control (happens with it on, standby and off), AC and the infotainment.

Yes, I'm hearing the exact same thing in my Fabia III 1.2 TSI 110... have you by chance found a solution as to what could be the problem?

Yes, I'm hearing the exact same thing in my Fabia III 1.2 TSI 110... have you by chance found a solution as to what could be the problem?

No - not yet and it keeps doing it, I'm noticing it more and more. It happens when cruising, at all speeds, in higher gears (4,5, 6) with very light throttle openings. If I close the throttle, the beeping stops. 

weird.

I'm going away with work for a couple of weeks, but as I near the christmas holidays I think I'm going to take it to the dealer...

No - not yet and it keeps doing it, I'm noticing it more and more. It happens when cruising, at all speeds, in higher gears (4,5, 6) with very light throttle openings. If I close the throttle, the beeping stops. 

weird.

I'm going away with work for a couple of weeks, but as I near the christmas holidays I think I'm going to take it to the dealer...

Please keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

We hired a car in Canada a few years back. A couple of hudred miles from the depot (and anywhere else for that matter) - Ping it went. Then again a while later. Checked the oil levels, and all the obvious stuff, no warning lightson so decided not to worry about it.

After a couple of days of this, I notoced out of the corner of my eye a light flash when it pinged! Cutting a long story short - it was the B8888Y washer bottle, half empty, and the warning sensor kicked-in at random!!

Then there's my MX5 - put a bag of shopping on the passenger seat, drive off and ding ding ding it goes! Scared the hell out of me until I found that the seatbelt warning kicks-in over 10mph!!!

I had that in my Astra. A couple of weeks after I bought it I was all ready to burst into the dealership full of rage when I realised it was a bag on the passenger seat that was just heavy enough to set the warning beep off when I drove around a corner!

• Like 1

Seems like the charcoal canister hose was the culprit! I got it replaced the other day and the beeping / high pitched noise is now finally gone. The original hose was ribbed (and plastic, I believe), while the new one smooth and made of rubber. The mechanic took the old hose into his hand and blew through it -- and you could hear it produce a loud noise, while blowing through the new hose does not produce any sound (only a slight hush of the air).

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to taking mine in to the dealer today for investigation. I took the technician for a drive along the A10 at a steady 40 and presto - it made the noise! (normally these things never repeat when you need them to!)

I left the car with the dealer to investigate after showing them this thread on my phone and the technician said he'd start with the charcoal canister hose. I had a voicemail an hour or two later saying they'd found a fault, ordered a part and it should be fixed tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome.

Great service from Walkers of Kings Lynn so far - the first call was politely dealt with and they booked me in the following day (today) - courtesy car made available. They have all been friendly and attentive - even the salesman that sold me the car in September bounded over to see how I was etc. I always though the BMW dealer was slick and attentive but I realise that although BMW are professional, it's a bit 'false' compared with the genuine care I got today.

anyway, fingers crossed I'll no longer have an annoying whistle/beep from tomorrow.

(Nice courtesy car too - a 65 plate Fabia - a small petrol (sounds 3-cylinder?) that is fully-loaded with gadgets. Great little car.)

So glad it is sorted, always nice when they find something faulty and sort it.

Sounds like your Skoda dealer is like the one I use in Plymouth, always go the extra mile and it is genuine. Luckily my VW dealership are behaving the same (part of same group) so happy all the way.

Well, it was the carbon hose. No more beeping!

Car returned washed and hoovered after a free 25 point safety/health check. I'm very impressed with the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good! I'm so glad I got it fixed on my Fabia as well.

• 6 years later...
On 30/12/2015 at 18:53, PerArdua said:

finally got around to taking mine in to the dealer today for investigation. I took the technician for a drive along the A10 at a steady 40 and presto - it made the noise! (normally these things never repeat when you need them to!)

I left the car with the dealer to investigate after showing them this thread on my phone and the technician said he'd start with the charcoal canister hose. I had a voicemail an hour or two later saying they'd found a fault, ordered a part and it should be fixed tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome.

Great service from Walkers of Kings Lynn so far - the first call was politely dealt with and they booked me in the following day (today) - courtesy car made available. They have all been friendly and attentive - even the salesman that sold me the car in September bounded over to see how I was etc. I always though the BMW dealer was slick and attentive but I realise that although BMW are professional, it's a bit 'false' compared with the genuine care I got today.

anyway, fingers crossed I'll no longer have an annoying whistle/beep from tomorrow.

(Nice courtesy car too - a 65 plate Fabia - a small petrol (sounds 3-cylinder?) that is fully-loaded with gadgets. Great little car.)

Hi - appreciate this was a long time ago! 

I am having this problem now in my 15 plate rapid spaceback. 

Can you remember the rough cost of the work? Is this something my general mechanic could fix rather than a Skoda dealership?

Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, Burn29 said:

Hi - appreciate this was a long time ago! 

I am having this problem now in my 15 plate rapid spaceback. 

Can you remember the rough cost of the work? Is this something my general mechanic could fix rather than a Skoda dealership?

Thank you in advance!

If it is the EVAP ribbed hose issue, it will only make that noise when the engine has warmed up and either at small throttle demands/ low engine revs and low engine loading or on the over run.

Just look for the EVAP hose, it appears at the right-hand side (looking forward from the driver's seat), coming up from below on a metal pipe and connecting to a plastic pipe before coming forward to the right-hand side of the engine to connect to the EVAP solenoid. At this age many cars had a hard plastic ribbed pipe and some were lucky enough to have a preformed rubber smooth bore pipe - if this is your problem it is a just a change to the later pipe that is required. I had to really push for this to be replaced/upgraded on my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI under warranty, as VW claimed that it was not a recognised problem, eventually they sourced what they called a kit from VW Germany - kit = pipe and spring clips, they fitted these spring clips at both ends of the new pipe, but there was not enough room for the clip at the EVAP solenoid end, so it was just put there for cosmetic reasons, so I removed it.