First time insurance

jerbear

As I've recently passed my test now looking to insure the bike. Did some quotes before I bought the bike just to make sure not silly money.

Quotes coming back ranging from £140 to silly money. Cheapest quote is with MCE including breakdown cover. Next cheapest is Hastings at £207 but with no breakdown cover. Bennett around the £260 inc breakdown cover.Heard a few horror stories about MCE..

Is breakdown cover essential, I am not intending to tour, bike will be used for day trips etc. Am I right in believing that tyres are normally unrepairable so a can of pressurised gunk would suffice?

Any help appreciated.

Sounds good to me.

Ive been with MCE for a few years on the trot and never had an issue.

You can get breakdown with Greenflag, AA etc etc dont forget, and can specify your exact needs.

Im covered for any vehicle im in for example, even if its not mine, or im a passenger.

What bikes it for?

Theres too many variables in insurance, but £140 sounds good tbf

Edited by fabiamk2SE

It for a 07 Fazer 1000 and I'm over 50 ( just ).

Just been on MCE website and edited quote to zero voluntary excess from £500 and price didn't alter !

Have you had any trouble with policy reflecting exactly what the quote was?

I'm sure like most insurers, the problem would only really arise when you try to claim!

Winner! Doesnt sound bad at all.

Ive never had to claim (touch wood!) but i did have a non fault back in 2012 which was slightly complicated. Hit and run.. Drunk driver.. Denied everything etc and they were good to me. A little advice here and there as the process went through.. Got a courtesy bike paid for n what not due to there advice.

Couldnt complain really

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my Bikesure quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

When I got my GSXR1000 as my second bike after first year of riding, as you would expect most insurers went from my current £85 for the ZZR600 to crazy money! Bikesure or perhaps it was before the name bikesure was used and just AF came in around £420. The sales guy at the dealers had a direct number for someone there and called up handed it over and £189 was the new price! Possibly the best quote I ever had guy on the phone worked pure magic and bent over backwards. This was all part of the salesman at the dealers trying to get the sale after I said, the insurance on it comes back too high. Minutes later the deal was done  :clap:

• Like 1

You will never know how good your Insurance is until you claim which hopefully you won't have to.  Prices vary so much and each year I check the prices again because there is no such thing as a loyalty bonus.  I have never stuck with the same company for more than one year as it has always been cheaper to go elsewhere as  a new customer.  I have been back to the same company the year after that because all of a sudden they are competitive again.

I have been with MCE on a number of occasions and am again this year but haven't a clue how good they are in a claim and hope I don't find out.  I think the main thing is to ensure when you are comparing quotes is to use different searches and make sure you are comparing like for like.

• Like 1

I've gone with MCE after extensive trolling through comparison sites and even ringing direct trying to banter a better price. MCE had a high excess ( as most did) but got the voluntary down to nil. Heard some problems about them but in fairness were very efficient on the phone, policy emailed almost instantly and corrected a error with dates on schedule.

Will probably source some better breakdown cover in the new year. I have cover on the car through Skoda and RAC.

Prices dont sound bad.

As for breakdown cover check out seperatley as it could be worth it.

I remember getting a rear tyre blow out around 20 years ago on my CB750 and no amout of tyre gunk would have fixed it.

It had picked up a 10mm bolt. I was on a country lane on my own and had to push it 2 miles to the nearest garage.

• Like 1

Prices dont sound bad.

As for breakdown cover check out seperatley as it could be worth it.

I remember getting a rear tyre blow out around 20 years ago on my CB750 and no amout of tyre gunk would have fixed it.

It had picked up a 10mm bolt. I was on a country lane on my own and had to push it 2 miles to the nearest garage.

Ive had similar myself.

On a cg125, tyre blew out, gunk didnt fix it, it was pitch black, raining, and i had to push about 2 or 3 miles uphill where i tied the bike to a fence at a police station and got a taxi the 10 miles home.

It was not.. In the slightest, fun.

Ill not go without cover again :D.

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1