Navigation Data Update available

Good morning,

Hope somebody might be able to offer some help as I'm having issue trying to download the new maps from my SD card with no luck, I've followed the excellent guide from page 8 as I'm using a Mac, below are a couple of pictures to see if i'm doing something wrong. When I press the update button in the car I just get the message below in the photo!!

Regards

Ashley

IMG_2199.JPG

6 hours ago, virginracer said:

I'm using a Mac

Your issue is probably caused by the invisible files created by MacOS. These are files which have a period “.” as the first character.

The MIB units aren’t programmed to ignore them and that’s why it causes problems for Mac users.
There are utilities, both free and commercial, to clean any external device of these files when they’re ejected.

Alternatively you can insert your card or drive back into your Mac and open it in a window on the Desktop. Press Command-Shift-. (that’s the period key) to reveal the hidden files which will appear grey. Delete them in both root and the two folders, then pull the card or drive. You will get the message about the device not being properly ejected but if you did eject it normally it will rewrite the hidden files. Remember to press Command-Shift-. again when you’re done.

...Oops, I should have read page 8 first! I assume you’re using a cleaner utility already so the above may be irrelevant. I use BlueHarvest myself which cleans the external device even when it’s normally ejected and does everything in the background.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

No, that's not your problem. That file is correct.

Is the SD Card write-enabled when you plug it into your car? Judging by your photo the adaptor slider is in the write-enabled 'unlocked' position. The MIB unit will want to write a small file to the card but can only do this if the card is write-enabled.

If you're certain the card is really* devoid of 'invisible' MacOS system files then I would suggest using a different media (any 32GB+ SD or USB drive).

Your card name has a space character: "SKODA MAPS".  Try changing the name of the card so there's no space character by using the underscore "SKODA_MAPS".

* You can easily check this by inserting the card in your Mac with the the adaptor slide in the locked position, so the Mac can't write system files to it. Then use the Command-Shift-Period combination to check the entire card for hidden files.

If all else fails, PM me.

I've done 6 MIB2 map updates using a Mac and all without problems but I had previous knowledge of the possible problems when I had MDI on my Superb II where the invisible files would show up.

Invisible files is not just a Mac 'thing'. Windows also creates invisible files. The issue is lazy programming of the firmware where invisible Windows/DOS files have been catered for but not for the Mac OS.

I have done as suggested and removed a couple of files to the trash can, what is left is below in the picture. I'll now try again and report back tomorrow, thanks again for taking the time in trying to assist me.

Regards

Ashley448512520_Screenshot2019-12-19at23_11_30.thumb.png.80b8a3b3b4e3dec41a15546febb5d7e5.png

• 4 weeks later...

Update for you all, firstly many thanks to those who have taken time to try and assist me with this issue, unfortunately nothing has worked baring in mind I'm not very tech savy!

But I need to give a massive shout out to member rutterfordharvey who was extremely kind and sent me his SD card in the post, which worked without issue and took about 45 mins to download.

Kind regards

Ashley

• Like 2