Navigation Data Update available

• 1 month later...

ECE2017 has been available since July for the Columbus, there should be a new update for Columbus in November, however they are normally a bit late!

Maybe we'll get an early Xmas present :)

• Like 2

Just downloading the map now for my Amundsen.

Question.. once its downloaded and the files are on a spare class 10 Ultra SD Card, do you insert that into the Audio SD card slot ? Then i would assume it downloads the maps and transfers updates to the factory SD card ?

Thanks

You could unpack the download to the factory card or re-use it as you wish; I don't think there's anything special about it despite what the instructions say.

Thanks - I have not checked the read speeds of the OEM one, the one which i have put the new maps on is a Sandisk Ultra, 30mb/s 15GB Class 10.

Has anyone tried putting the old SD card back in after using new maps , assume it just works as normal ?

Thanks

You have to use the factory supplied SD card, no other card is recognised. The Amundsen mapping runs off the SD card.

Make a backup of the current SD card the just follow instructions to unpack onto SD card.

Edited by Q102

What factory card? I only use my own SDXC cards and have had no problems. There was no OEM card with the car.

As long as it is formatted correctly it just works. You must however use the correct utility that executes as part of the download process to transfer the data to the card but that is all.

What is this factory SD card of which you speak?

Amundsen Satnav runs from an SD card which runs from the SD card reader/s in the glove box. There is no internal HDD

Edited by RickTT

its the last line which does not make sense for the Amundsen unit...

Update of your system Amundsen

1. What you need
  • Navigation SD card from the ŠKODA Original Accessories for updating the navigation maps. For other updates, ordinary SD card is just fine, SDHC card is recommended (Class 10).
  • A computer with a compression program that supports .zip.
  • Downloaded data may take more than 4 GB. Make sure that you have enough space on the hard disk of your computer.
2. Downloading new data:
  • Due to downloading large amounts of data and depending on the speed of your Internet connection can the whole downloading process take some time (even 8 hours or more).
  • For the operating system Windows you will be provided with a download manager that will guide you through the whole process of downloading and unpacking the data. All downloaded files are in ZIP format.
3. Import of the data into the infotainment system:
  • Import of the data into the infotainment system:
    1. Insert the card into the SD slot of one of your infotainment system. Updated navigation data is retrieved directly from the navigation SD card.
    2. For software update, on the navigation press "Menu"> "Settings"> "System Information"> "Update software"
    3. The data will now be copied to the hard disk navigation system.

Yeah, instructions for Amudsen on the site are not correct.

For Amudsen, you have to use factory SD card as other SD cards won't work. Just delete existing files from it (yeah, it looks scary for the first time :) ) and copy files you extracted from zip file. 

SD card needs to be inserted in one of two slots all the time in order to work correctly.  

• 2 weeks later...

ECE2017 has been available since July for the Columbus, there should be a new update for Columbus in November, however they are normally a bit late!

Maybe we'll get an early Xmas present :)

I went to the portal to download the latest data for mine and it said no updates available for this VIN. My car was reg'd last September and hasn't been updated since I bought it in February this year so I'm a little surprised there are no updates if July was the last release. 

It's a bit **** that the car can't download and update itself. It spends every night sat on the drive, in good wifi signal range and I have connected it to the wifi (though not sure what purpose this serves).

Thanks for the forum. Got a lot of great info from here. Here is how I did it.

Car: 2016 Skoda Octavia Scout MkIII

RS Columbus infotainment system. 

Computer: Mac running OS Sierra beta

Wanted to update to the newest Navigation-update package ECE 2017

As already mentioned on this forum, when using a Mac there are a lot of files starting with . (IE:  .Trash , .Volumes etc). Most of the files that are extracted are with a . in front of it. Including the files in the Mib1 and Mib2 folders).

So to sum it up:

Get an SD card (SDHC will update in apx  30min). Should be formated in FAT32. Does not matter what type it is, but the faster it is, the faster the install will take.

Download the map from Skodas update portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates/      the file is named HIGH_P157_EU_2017.zip and is 25,72Gb.

Download BlueHarvest. Run it and delete all the files on the SD card starting with . (.Trash   .DSstore etc)  I think these files corrupts the install process. 

After those files are deleted, plug the SD card in to either of the two SD card readers in your car.

Go to Car - Settings - Version and scroll down to the bottom and press update.

Thanks for helping me out. Hope this helps.

Edited by RichEfforts
  • Like 1

It's a bit **** that the car can't download and update itself. It spends every night sat on the drive, in good wifi signal range and I have connected it to the wifi (though not sure what purpose this serves).

Not everybody has unlimited data allowances and could be hit for substantial charges. WiFi is also not standard across all models.

Don't know if this affects the Superb 3, my Brother has just downloaded ECE 2017 for the Amundsen in his Octavia 3 and has come across an issue.

Now when you enter a postcode you cannot put a space between the 2 parts of the postcode as the space key is "greyed out"; a minor inconvenience you may think, however it means that now any locations in "Previous Destinations" cannot be read as they have the space between the 2 parts of the postcode! :(

Anyone noticed this issue with the Superb? 

Amundsen MIB2 ... Today some news on update portal: "Your navigation system can be updated only from DVD. Please visit your dealer."

Anyone can share DVD?

I think this is a misnomer. It appeared briefly a few weeks ago when I checked for updates (Columbus) which led me to contact the local dealer who had no knowledge of any update.

After a few days the message returned to "There were no software updates for the VIN" and that is still the case now.

Amundsen doesn't have DVD so any such update would have to be by SD or USB.

The tech guy at my local dealer reckons MiB software/firmware updates will be done via the workshop server and not by disc and is something that should be asked for when the car is already booked in for something else, such as service/inspection, warranty work, etc, as they will otherwise charge for the time if you are bringing it in to exclusively check for updates.

It may also be that with Galileo being switched on this morning some Nav systems need to have that enabled. Cars sold in the EU must have the chipset already included but whether it is already listening out for the satellite signals or has to be told to start doing so I don't know.

Edited by FelisBengalensis