Auto Boot Opening Without Electric Tailgate

Morning all. 

I've noticed a few people have carried out modifications to their Skodas so that the boot automatically opens when you press down the middle key. This is on cars without electric tailgates, like this Fabia:

I think I've read that it is a case of adding a small spring somewhere into the process, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this on an Octavia combi? 

It probably wouldn't be that difficult. If you press the middle button on the remote once it unlocks the boot. If you hold the button down it unlocks and unlatches the boot. So all you would need to do is fit a strong enough spring somewhere to push it far enough to allow the gas struts to take over.

#ghetto

The thread on the mk2 concluded that there wasnt a spring available that was strong enough to open the boot that didn't require over compressing when the boot was shut.

They would work initially but after a few weeks / months wouldnt open the boot all the way... And it got less each time.

People with estates reported a higher success rate due to the weight. They also reported that when it was colder the operation was hit and miss

I fitted one on my mk2 that worked great during summer but the colder month, the spring didnt coop well with +3 and less. 5min jobb to fit. I think I bought heavy duty springs from denmark, I'll check if I still have the link.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...