put in my rear led bulbs,easy,happy!

Earlier today i put in my 581 led canbus rear indicator bulbs,purchased from phoenixautobulbs.co.uk for 27.95,commision please phoenix! Light spread the same as before,no warning issues on the dash,work a treat,just a fraction brighter and with that fast on off light show only led bulbs can do.well pleased,if you want youre rear lights to be full led,as skoda missleadingly say they are,you must do it,took me 15mins! Happy.asked my dealer why they are not fitted as standard as they were in the facelift superb 11 his answer was purely cost cutting and to give vw its more premium brands the look,knew that would be the answer.reversing lights next! Kevin.

• Like 2

Rebelred.

I just ordered these. I think they are the ones that sooty meant.

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/581-led-canbus-py21w/

They're now out of stock at Phoenix so I went with these as an alternative and these for the reversing lights.

post-74330-0-09884200-1448293482.txt

Just fitted them on one side to compare with the filament bulbs. The reversing lights look stunning IMHO, but not convinced by the indicator light.

The iPhone video, like most digital cameras, struggles to cope with LED.

LED left, filament right.

http://vid1067.photobucket.com/albums/u430/akinnear/IMG_0335_zpshpto63ws.mp4

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

They're now out of stock at Phoenix so I went with these as an alternative and these for the reversing lights.

attachicon.gifimage.php.jpeg

Just fitted them on one side to compare with the filament bulbs. The reversing lights look stunning IMHO, but not convinced by the indicator light.

The iPhone video, like most digital cameras, struggles to cope with LED.

LED left, filament right.

http://vid1067.photobucket.com/albums/u430/akinnear/IMG_0335_zpshpto63ws.mp4

yeah I agree, reverse light looks class, indicator does look poor but as you said it is hard to tell through a video with LED. Im gonna order the reverse & hold out for the indicator bulbs to come back in at Phoenix. Thanks for that. By the way the car is stunning, love those exhausts!

• Like 1

What is the light output like on them?

I found anything but CREE LED's to look good but actually not much better than std, whereas the CREE's are 'kin bright.

• Like 1

So had a play in darkness...

Reversing lights. Nearside LED, offside filament.

DSC00416_zpsqod2lj5d.jpg

Reversing. Both LED.

DSC00421_zpsmpvjvqsi.jpg

Indicators. Nearside LED, offside filament.

DSC00417_zpsrawrrbkq.jpg

Indicators. Both LED (I think I accidentally changed the ISO, hence darker than the other photos).

DSC00420_zpstykkjdqn.jpg

I'm happy with the reversing lights, not so much the indicators.

• Like 2

What is the light output like on them?

I found anything but CREE LED's to look good but actually not much better than std, whereas the CREE's are 'kin bright.

If you mean equivalent wattage - no idea. Both are advertised as "ultra bright" with no value for the indicators, but 550 lumens for the white. I suspect the amber are less, despite "This unconventional LED bulb is designed to make maximum use of your cars reflectors and make these 581LED canbus ready bulbs one of the brightest around."

I'll take your word about CREE, oh great LED sensei, 'coz I've now ordered a pair!

Mmmm.Just fitted my rear indicator LED (as above) and then took them out again. I didn't like them at all.

The light is very yellow and I think nowhere near as visible as the std amber bulb. Added to that the quick response of the LED means the illumination period is much shorter. All in all less visible and therefore not a good idea IMHO.

Are these LED bulbs road legal?? I ask because to my eye these bulbs are NOT amber.

I will return them and use the credit to get the reversing light bulbs.

Gizmo68. Would yo be good enough to advise which Cree bulbs I need for the reversing lights please? I can't find anything in the owners manual on bulb specs. Are they 382 type?

tks

Pete

Tne ones that i purchased have 70 small led diodes going all around the bulb,look like a 70's disco ball,and are in fact brighter than the standard bulbs,no complaints.i did try to order another set for the other halfs volvo v40 but pheonixautobulbs are out of stock,guess i struck lucky with the ones i got sent.kevin.

Tne ones that i purchased have 70 small led diodes going all around the bulb,look like a 70's disco ball,and are in fact brighter than the standard bulbs,no complaints.i did try to order another set for the other halfs volvo v40 but pheonixautobulbs are out of stock,guess i struck lucky with the ones i got sent.kevin.

Would it be these ones?

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/581-led-canbus-py21w/

Are these LED bulbs road legal?? I ask because to my eye these bulbs are NOT amber.

Every supplier I have ever looked state that as there is no 'E' Approval standard for these types of bulb so they are not street legal. The caveat seems to be 'for show purposes' or similar.

Whether it's actually anything more than a 'get out of jail free' phrase and a penalty might apply I suspect is unlikely especially given how many illegal HID conversions appear on the road these days.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

Gizmo68. Would yo be good enough to advise which Cree bulbs I need for the reversing lights please? I can't find anything in the owners manual on bulb specs. Are they 382 type?

tks

Pete

Yes,

I have a pair of these to go in the car on Monday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x80w-1156-BA15S-382-BRIGHTEST-OSRAM-CREE-LED-WHITE-CANBUS-REVERSE-BRAKE-DRL-/151894546348?hash=item235d9ed7ac:g:Ww4AAOSwDk5T94q8

Had them in my previous Superb and the Yeti and they are 'kin bright!

@Bally. Yes those are the ones I ordered but they sent something different as those are now out of stock!

@Felis. Yes indeed. My thought process was 'would they pass an MOT' on the colour being acceptable as amber. If not then they are not legal and could lead to issues with insurers etc.

@Gizmo. Most grateful for the prompt reply. Thanks