The 'I actually really like my TDI VRS Estate thread'

As per the title of this thread, the suggestion is that it's a surprise that the diesel vRS is such a good car!

I'm sure it is. I love mine (petrol, sorry!) and accept that much of what it achieves / does so well is not simply down to the engine - space, general practicality, quality, infotainment, price etc etc. 

But, someone has to say it, if you add a 220 (in my case) or 230 / 245 petrol engine, you also get to turn everything properly up to 11 as and when needed. 

Now that's the perfect all-round package, is it not? 

Surely that's what a vRS is all about? 

;-)

• Like 2

It's alright I suppose ....

You can get four adults in comfort. Alternatively you can sling a mountain bike in the back. It's a GTI in estate-car form. 

If only the sound system was better. 

3 hours ago, TDIum said:

It's alright I suppose ....

You can get four adults in comfort. Alternatively you can sling a mountain bike in the back. It's a GTI in estate-car form. 

If only the sound system was better. 

Agreed. The standard system is like someone farting into a watering can.

Doesn't help that I have an Audi TTS as a weekend plaything which has a Bang and Olufsen sound system which is the best I have ever heard in a car

That article is hard to read. Its like he's read a book of crap metaphors and silly clarkson phrases, and just wants to spew them all out to prove he knows his stuff. 

However, the vrs does hold its own at least! Hurrah

• Like 2

8 hours ago, carrock said:

Agreed. The standard system is like someone farting into a watering can.

Doesn't help that I have an Audi TTS as a weekend plaything which has a Bang and Olufsen sound system which is the best I have ever heard in a car

Canton is actually pretty good though! One of my favourite bits about the car. My friend has an Audi S4 with the B & O system and was impressed too.

7 hours ago, R1100 said:

The VRS favours quite well, but I agree with the comment that its probably down to lower expectations based on it's lower price. No bad thing, it's value and practicality is what made the VRS so popular in the first place.

It is however, an odd trio comparison. The Cupra is a step up from the VRS in power, price etc. And the Polestar even further so.

Why test the Cupra and not test the Golf R - the Golf arguably makes more sense new and is very closely priced. Then the Polestar, it's nearly 50k at list and still only has 4 cylinders. Surely most sane people would consider the likes of the 340i, S4 and C43 at this price point - none of which are 4 cylinders and have better badge cachet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

The VRS favours quite well, but I agree with the comment that its probably down to lower expectations based on it's lower price. No bad thing, it's value and practicality is what made the VRS so popular in the first place.

It is however, an odd trio comparison. The Cupra is a step up from the VRS in power, price etc. And the Polestar even further so.

Why test the Cupra and not test the Golf R - the Golf arguably makes more sense new and is very closely priced. Then the Polestar, it's nearly 50k at list and still only has 4 cylinders. Surely most sane people would consider the likes of the 340i, S4 and C43 at this price point - none of which are 4 cylinders and have better badge cachet.

The polestar is a very odd car indeed, I agree there. It looks nice, but unsure who would buy one over the alternatives you mention. Surely volvo haven't sold a lot of them?! 

Edited by crazy88

I have done a lot of research and keep trying to find my next perfect 4x4/AWD estate or SUV and keep coming back to the Octavia.

I thought about the Leon but the cabin seating area is just too small for me, I have very long legs and feel uncomfortable in them for a long drive.

I need to try a long drive in an Octavia.  My wife has a Yeti which is fine as the seat rises reasonably high but I need more room and get stiff after a few hours drive.  I can sit and drive my Freelander 2 all day and no discomfort at all!.

I now find my self debating whether to get a Scout or a VRS.

Question: I drive along rough tracks - is the ground clearance on the VRS very low?  If it is likely to scrape the bottom, i hear it is 15mm lower than standard and the Scout to about 30mm higher than standard so 2inches probably makes a difference but by how much>

Appreciate your thoughts please, I am pretty certain my next car will be an Octavia and maybe a Superb - if I can fit in one comfortably

Thanks

3 hours ago, R1100 said:

I have done a lot of research and keep trying to find my next perfect 4x4/AWD estate or SUV and keep coming back to the Octavia.

I thought about the Leon but the cabin seating area is just too small for me, I have very long legs and feel uncomfortable in them for a long drive.

I need to try a long drive in an Octavia.  My wife has a Yeti which is fine as the seat rises reasonably high but I need more room and get stiff after a few hours drive.  I can sit and drive my Freelander 2 all day and no discomfort at all!.

I now find my self debating whether to get a Scout or a VRS.

Question: I drive along rough tracks - is the ground clearance on the VRS very low?  If it is likely to scrape the bottom, i hear it is 15mm lower than standard and the Scout to about 30mm higher than standard so 2inches probably makes a difference but by how much>

Appreciate your thoughts please, I am pretty certain my next car will be an Octavia and maybe a Superb - if I can fit in one comfortably

Thanks

If you are thinking diesel, then the 184bhp Scout with DSG will be a very competent all-rounder. Over 50mpg & 7.8 secs to 62 (not at the same time though!). 

I loved my Scout (MkII 1.8 Petrol Manual) and often though that if I could have taken the petrol engine & DSG from the vRS I had at the time, it would have been the perfect car! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

If you are thinking diesel, then the 184bhp Scout with DSG will be a very competent all-rounder. Over 50mpg & 7.8 secs to 62 (not at the same time though!). 

I loved my Scout (MkII 1.8 Petrol Manual) and often though that if I could have taken the petrol engine & DSG from the vRS I had at the time, it would have been the perfect car! 

I like the sound of that.

Any very tall drivers on here who can comment on leg room?

As an example - I was in my daughters Leon earlier and when getting out with my feet on the drive my knees are still above my hips so I have to lever myself out whereas on the Yeti and Freelander and can step out if you see what I mean

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 13:11, R1100 said:

I like the sound of that.

Any very tall drivers on here who can comment on leg room?

As an example - I was in my daughters Leon earlier and when getting out with my feet on the drive my knees are still above my hips so I have to lever myself out whereas on the Yeti and Freelander and can step out if you see what I mean

I'm 6'6" if that counts as very tall and I don't have the seat all the way back in mine. 

I'd also say I love mine, had it 9 months from new and done 23k without an issue. 

I'd say the 19"s  dont exactly do much for the ride but I've never got out of the car after 300 miles with any pains etc.

I'm 6'8" and I while there is loads of leg room, I wouldn't say getting in and out of the car was stepping out.

The steering wheel position combined with the bolsters on the vrs mean that I do lever myself out of the car, and there is a bit of a twist getting in. Not helped by the fact the car has been lowered from standard vrs.

But the scouts seats will be different and you will be a bit higher up, so probably you will find it easier than me.

• 4 weeks later...

Love it love it love it!

I'm only 3 weeks into owning a race blue TDI vRS estate with DSG, black pack plus and winter pack.

Previously owned a whole host of cars including Honda accord, Peugeot 407, Golf GTi and most recently a Mitsubishi lancer. This is by far the best car I've ever owned with a great blend of power, pace, space, practicality, tech and good looks....... although so far I'm a bit short on MPG only averaging in the very low 40's. I hope this is just down to me taking time to learn how the CR engine likes to be driven.

• 9 months later...

Well, as the OP to this thread thought it was about time to update it.

Ive now owned the car for 4 years, owned from pre reg with 50 miles on.

It has been and still is an excellent car ticking the boxes of practical, cheap to run, good looking and relatively quick.

I did look at swopping the car for a superb sportline at the start of the year but couldnt get the right deal and decided it wasnt worth the extra to change. 

It just had its 4th service and has now done 35000 miles averaging about 48mpg. 

I have never kept a car this long in my life so the car is clearly doing something right!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jimmyp2 said:

Well, as the OP to this thread thought it was about time to update it.

Ive now owned the car for 4 years, owned from pre reg with 50 miles on.

It has been and still is an excellent car ticking the boxes of practical, cheap to run, good looking and relatively quick.

I did look at swopping the car for a superb sportline at the start of the year but couldnt get the right deal and decided it wasnt worth the extra to change. 

It just had its 4th service and has now done 35000 miles averaging about 48mpg. 

I have never kept a car this long in my life so the car is clearly doing something right!!

Only 35k in 4 years? Should have bought the petrol! :tongueout:

• Like 1

Yes I can see what you are saying but I have a petrol toy.

The vrs is my sensible family everyday car and only having to chuck 20-25 quid a week in fuel at it and the 30 quid road tax helps balance the books!

Edited by jimmyp2

1 hour ago, jimmyp2 said:

Yes I can see what you are saying but I have a petrol toy.

The vrs is my sensible family everyday car and only having to chuck 20-25 quid a week in fuel at it and the 30 quid road tax helps balance the books!

out of warranty soon? get it mapped for a heap more fun, comparable to the 230 but with a bag more torque.

1 minute ago, jimmyp2 said:

I keep considering getting it mapped now its out of warranty, is it definitely worth the outlay?

It is if you can insure it cheap enough afterwards. Any quotes I've seen don't seem to make it worthwhile.

• 9 months later...

Well after almost 5 years of ownership with a hint of sadness I have finally placed a deposit on a new car to replace my vrs.

The car has been faultless, just needing tyres and new brakes. Ive done just under 42000 miles in it.

With the waterpump and timing belt change coming up at 5 years it seemed the right time to let it go.

It was my first skoda and has been a very good experience. My local dealer Rainworth Mansfield has also always been helpful and fair.

So the replacement, I've been looking at them since they came out, and have now put a deposit on a pre reg Superb Sportline+ just 14 miles on the clock.

Stuck with diesel even though my mileage is low, only 42000 miles in 5 years in my vrs but couldnt stomach the 26mpg I got in the 2.0 litre petrol I test drove.

My vrs is being px'd all being well on Tuesday at Meadens dealer down south, long drive for me there and back.

If anyone is looking for a vrs estate mine is immaculate and has been very well looked after.I imagine I could of sold it for more private but this saves the hassle.

I will report on the superb once I get it in the superb section.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1