Knocking?

AaronJeff

I have recently changed a LOT of parts on the front of my fab and i still have an annoying knocking / rubbing sound coming from the front. I have changed steering rack, tie rods, track rod ends, bottom arms, ball joints, console bushes, drop links & ARB bushes. Still got a knock!!

Anyone got any idea what else could be knocking?

I do have a leak on my front left coilover but i can imagine that making that much noise?

Any Ideas?

Have you checked the actual spring isn't broke?

Yeah, the springs fine mate

You mention a leak, perhaps the shock absorber is the culprit ?

On the MOT it was a light misting. I think its slightly worse ...  would the shock being damaged cause a lot of noise?

Are you sure the bottom arm bolts are torqued up properly? I had a knock on mine caused by them not being tight enough after I replaced the console bushes.

Are you sure the bottom arm bolts are torqued up properly? I had a knock on mine caused by them not being tight enough after I replaced the console bushes.

Possibly ... i don't own a torque bar so ill have to borrow one  :dull:  ... the knock has been there throughout all of the parts being changed, also before i replaced the console bushes .. its very annoying. It literally sounds like my wheel is hanging on by a thread!  :wall:

would the shock being damaged cause a lot of noise?

With car being allowed to bounce more freely, possibility bump stops being struck, maybe some sound emitted from within the damaged shock absorber, ie: oil valve/s knocking ?

Edited by giandougl

With car being allowed to bounce more freely, possibility bump stops being struck, maybe same sound emitted from within the damaged shock absorber, ie: oil valve/s knocking ?

Possibly,it is quite low to be fair ... i think new coilovers are defiantly going to be next on the list but due to a recent failed rack, that came first ... every time i plan for new coilovers, something else breaks first!

Could be the top mounts

I thought this as well .. ill replace them when i replace the coilovers, hopefully it will solve the problem!

Check your anti roll bar hasn't shifted to one side or the other, making it rub on the inner wing. We had it on dad's fabia and my ibiza.

This was a problem before mate but i sorted it out and ive got some anti lateral movement clamps on now to stop it sliding about now.

• Like 1

Just one thing sticks in my mind, oil leak ! .. where is the oil coming from ??

I think you must get the car right before any upgrades regarding messing with coil-overs etc..

The coilver itself is wet, i recon the shocks popped. No oil coming from anywhere bud

ill go with shocker or top mounts as well :)

gunna just bite the bullet - buy some new ap's and new top mounts

This was a problem before mate but i sorted it out and ive got some anti lateral movement clamps on now to stop it sliding about now.

Good call, need to get some on ours as the bits of plastic they stick on the bar at the factory really don't last 15 years in the case of dad's and 130k in the case of mine. Where did you get them from?

Good call, need to get some on ours as the bits of plastic they stick on the bar at the factory really don't last 15 years in the case of dad's and 130k in the case of mine. Where did you get them from?

Yeah the pre-face lift ARB's arent too good haha! ... They're made by Whiteline, They were a nightmare to find mate! ill get you the link in a bit mate