Frost warning

Never heard or noticed it shutting down the A/C though... the obvious thing is to alert you to ice formation on the roads to help prevent skidding/loss of traction.

I would have thought the a/c would still be running normal as you're gonna have heating on and without a/c, the windows are gonna start to mist up quite a bit! I could be wrong and/or have different system though, I optioned climate control over the standard a/c.

(Climatronic).

I think it stops at about 2 degrees

To protect itself

Ive never noticed it.. But it must do it

• 3 months later...

Can't say it's ever bothered me to be honest. If it comes on when I first start the car then chances are I've just been outside and know it's cold, or if I'm already driving and it pings I don't normally hear it over the music. Plus it's a nice little warning for me to have my coat on once I get out the car :)

Thing is, it doesn't ping when you start the car at 4C or less - it just flashes (at least it does on mine), which is far more sensible.

True but you're looking at it when you start the car.

You're usually looking at the road when you're driving, so less chance of noticing it.

Or maybe thats the idea? :D

Perhaps you could trace the "Pinger" And wrap it in felt or soundproofing? That must be do-able and help! Reduce the sound a little to a muffled "Ping". much nicer. 

Perhaps you could trace the "Pinger" And wrap it in felt or soundproofing? That must be do-able and help! Reduce the sound a little to a muffled "Ping". much nicer.

Is it not the same pinger that pings for other things? Low fuel, maybe oil or whatever else pings?

I think it even does the 'tocking' of the indicators.

I think you're spot on there mate. 

I've just thought. Our 2005 Polo cluster speaker thing went a while back (quite common on those i think) and it stopped doing everything. No ticking of indicators, no beeps when you've left the lights on and leave the car, nothin. Silentness. 

Id imagine the Fab is prob the same

True but you're looking at it when you start the car.

You're usually looking at the road when you're driving, so less chance of noticing it.

Or maybe thats the idea? :D

On Fiestas the warning just glows and changes colour - it does attract your attention, so no need for an annoying ping.

I think you're spot on there mate.

I've just thought. Our 2005 Polo cluster speaker thing went a while back (quite common on those i think) and it stopped doing everything. No ticking of indicators, no beeps when you've left the lights on and leave the car, nothin. Silentness.

Id imagine the Fab is prob the same

I had 2001 Lupo Sport way back - the lights left on warning stopped, so assume it was the same issue you had - this was just before I traded it in.
  • Like 1

I had 2001 Lupo Sport way back - the lights left on warning stopped, so assume it was the same issue you had - this was just before I traded it in.

It is quite common from what i remember when researching. Also very annoying. 

Didnt seem that difficult to repair either, check out the link below. All seems simple. However, i never actually got round to doing it myself :D

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/95914-Warning-buzzer-for-lights-seatbelts-low-fuel-indicators-not-working

• Like 1

Think you're just going to have to build a bridge mate.

What does wind me up though is when it goes off more than once during the same journey, a quick warning to let you know the temp has dropped to 4 or below is enough, it's not like you are then going to be driving in 12 degrees then back down to 4' is it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations

7*oC in Inverness & -1*oC at Pitlochry / Dunblane and elsewhere now

So actually that is exactly what many do as they drive from East to West / West to East even just not that long distances or even North to South or even more North.

Do you never drive where the temperature changes by 6 degrees or more over a journey. ?

(changes of 10 degrees between Perth & Ayr in one journey are not unusual.)

I have seen 8 degrees of difference this morning.

Away to do another 80 miles were my 4*oC warning is liable to show at some point or 3.

(lovely clear dry roads. Without an outside Temp Indicator there is not much clue to the ambient temp.)

Edited by GoneOffSKi

So actually that is exactly what many do as they drive from East to West / West to East even just not that long distances or even North to South or even more North.

Do you never drive where the temperature changes by 6 degrees or more over a journey. ?

Away to do another 80 miles were my 4*oC warning is liable to show at some point or 3.

(lovely clear dry roads. Without an outside Temp Indicator there is not much clue to the ambient temp.)

Point taken, and in answer to your question I suppose I have travelled in varying temps I've just never thought about it. I still fail to see why it should 'ping' several times, once is enough to draw your attention to the temp indicator throughout the rest of your journey.

Windows are also a pretty useful tool and when paired with your eyes it's even better. With the exception of black ice you can normally see the road conditions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Black Ice' is the most important thing as far as i am concerned, and the 4*oC warning is of 'Air Temperature' not 'Ground or Grass Temperature' Road temp which can be several degrees lower the the Air Temp, so all very useful IMO.

Obviously if the temps are not low then is is hardly going to be bothering anyone.

I dont think it goes out of frost mode until about 5 or 6 degrees though? Once its been to 4c to activate it? Maybe thats to try n stop it from constantly beeping.

I agree. It can be difficult to tell the outside temp without it, if its cold you turn thd heater up abit :D. I like it.

Cars are warm and comfy now. Its easy to forget about the outside temps sometimes

• Like 1

I thought I'd heard the last of it until after autumn but it went off tonight as I drove across Cathkin Braes - gave me a bit of a jolt.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Add the low fuel warning to the list of irritants - I ******* know I'm low on fuel - I do actually look at the instrument cluster.

But many wouldnt.

Honestly. People dont look at basic stuff, they just dont think.

• Like 1