CatVision or Diffuse Lighting

Charade

Greetings,

Re my 2014 Superb SE 2.0 crd and Catvision or Diffuse Lighting, I've searched this forum and indeed others and I now know how to install the lighting if I don't have it and how to adjust the brightness if I do and how to mask/disable it if it's too obtrusive, so I don't think this is a repost of an old subject - apologies if it is.

The holes for the LEDS are there and I can see what appear to be LEDs recessed about 4mm inside a black tube. They do not come on though no matter what road lights I have on, the darkness of the surroundings or the intensity of the dial/switch lighting. The door internal handle lights do come on though.

Also the switches for the reading lights and door courtesy lights do not illuminate as the do on every other switch.

So the question is do I have diffuse lighting on my 2014 SE and should the courtesy light switches illuminate or are both features only available on higher spec models?

Fair enough if they aren't there or shouldn't illuminate, but I would like to be armed with real world information if I have to go back to the dealer.

Thanks - AndyW

You have a fault.

The down lighters are standard on the SE.

The fact that the other interior light buttons immediately adjacent to the down lighters aren't working properly either suggests that there is an issue somewhere.

On a 2014 model you should still be in warranty. Mention it next time it is in for a service.

CatVision-Big.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Update

My local Skoda Dealer checked the problem and it turns out it's (apparently) to do with the towbar. They didn't want to repair it as a/ it's the towbar's fitters duty of care and more importantly b/ they would have to charge me as it isn't warranty.

The towbar fitter  (if I've remember this properly) has looped the earth wire from the towbar to the illumination & earth wire of the vehicle behind the fuse box..

Now that's gobbledygook to me and having paid a fortune for the dedicated wiring setup for the towbar it's off to the fitter and ask them to sort it.

Ho-hum. I'll let you know the outcome.

AndyW

Edited by Charade
  • Like 1

Yes I agree, I can't fault the dealer so far. They even washed and valeted the car. Do I really looked that impoverished?

Update 2 The car's booked in for next Monday.

Hopefully I'll get my diffuse lighting back then so that I can complain about how bright they are and how can I turn them off (sorry already know that - see #1), although I must admit that I can't remember whether they were on or not in the few August days between buying the car and having the towbar fitted. Too much else in the car to learn/use/admire.

I only recently noticed they weren't working because a large part of the day is now in darkness and car has become part of me.

AndyW

Edited by Charade
  • Like 1

Update 2

The company that fitted the towbar looked at it today. They disconnected the dedicated wiring loom and removed the coding from the system i.e reverting the car back to OEM spec. The fault is still there!

They connected their coder to the system (getting technical now - I don't fully understand so bear with me if it doesn't make sense) and it kept showing a lighting technical fault even with (theortically) no towbar attached.

The fitter spoke direct to my Skoda Garage and it's booked in with them for Wednesday.

AndyW

ps - never had this problem with either of my Hondas or my Rover 75. However the Rover 75 had a catalogue of errors all of it's own but it was a nice car.

pps - At this moment "The Superb" is STILL the best car I've ever bought.

Don't know what comes after pps - Do I really need this hassle for the two LED's and illumination for the overhead switches? YES, I've paid for it and I want it.

Edited by Charade

It is likely that whatever was done that caused the fault has done some permanent damage, whether it is a module or circuit etc.

As putting the car back to standard spec hasn't fixed it then it sounds like the towbar company will have to pay for some new parts.

Can you be sure the fault was there before the towbar was fitted!?

• 1 month later...

Update 3

Greetings and apologies for not advising the outcome sooner,

To cut a long story short, after much to-ing and fro-ing of emails and photos between dealer and Skoda it was decided the problem as it stood lay with a control box and the light switch itself (which.apparently has fused links inside it??). When these were replaced the lighting "sort of" worked - their words not mine. Much scratching of heads at dealer and (apparently) at Skoda.

The dealer kept the car for a couple of days (I used one of their courtesy cars) and eventually they found the problem. It was to do with the front accessory socket - cigarette lighter socket in the old days. From what I could gather there is a plastic cover on the underside to prevent contact with metal creating shorting etc. which wasn't there on my vehicle; or at least had come free. This was replaced and voilà, all is well.

This work was all done under warranty - I can't fault the dealer or Skoda for the way they handled this. To be honest I didn't ask for too many details about the problem as 1) I was just happy to have a fully working car and 2) I wanted to get out of the dealers before they changed their mind and decided to charge me.

AndyW

• Like 1