Realistic valuation for total loss VRS

Had the misfortune to be driven into by a lady who "didnt see me" we are both insured with the same company and shes admittedly fault.

Based on the damage description i have given them and the age/mileage of the car they are already considering it as a total loss.. Which tbh i have come to terms with anyway.

I'm after a realistic valuation so i can go armed with info should they try to under sell my baby.

Car :

2003 mk1 octavia VRS

BLACK

1.8T

144000 miles

MOT till september 2016

Bodywork is what you expect for 12years old. Full size spare wheel present with new tyre, original tool kit present.

FULL and extensive service history. Including timing belt & pump.

Four new tyres done 2000 miles

New steering rack at a cost of £350 in june. FACTORY FITTED cruise control, reversing sensors, sunroof with black roof lining (£900 option i believe)

Heres the problem now. I cant find for sale a single car with the same options. In fact theres a silver 03 with 119000 miles for £1750 and has no extra goodies.

I just know they will offer me a silly low amount. As for buying it back, it'll cost alot to repair plus the clutch is starting to let go ( i wont tell them that tho) so i dont know what to do in that respect. Been quoted £950 for repairs from two different places. I was having the clutch done before xmas anyway but it all doesnt seem worth it now.

What do you guys think

Had the misfortune to be driven into by a lady who "didnt see me" we are both insured with the same company and shes admittedly fault.

Based on the damage description i have given them and the age/mileage of the car they are already considering it as a total loss.. Which tbh i have come to terms with anyway.

I'm after a realistic valuation so i can go armed with info should they try to under sell my baby.

Car :

2003 mk1 octavia VRS

BLACK

1.8T

144000 miles

MOT till september 2016

Bodywork is what you expect for 12years old. Full size spare wheel present with new tyre, original tool kit present.

FULL and extensive service history. Including timing belt & pump.

Four new tyres done 2000 miles

New steering rack at a cost of £350 in june. FACTORY FITTED cruise control, reversing sensors, sunroof with black roof lining (£900 option i believe)

Heres the problem now. I cant find for sale a single car with the same options. In fact theres a silver 03 with 119000 miles for £1750 and has no extra goodies.

I just know they will offer me a silly low amount. As for buying it back, it'll cost alot to repair plus the clutch is starting to let go ( i wont tell them that tho) so i dont know what to do in that respect. Been quoted £950 for repairs from two different places. I was having the clutch done before xmas anyway but it all doesnt seem worth it now.

What do you guys think

You never get anything back for repairs/tyres (eg steering rack)  and very little for options - although anything in a poor state of repair (especially tyres) can cause problems. Full Service History can make a difference though. 

Edited by bigjohn

What did you insure it for as in the amount you said it was worth when you brought it ?

£1500. I'd be hoping to get between £1300 and £1500 but you no what insurers are like and with it been hastings VS hastings claim they'll probably try and offer me £800

No idea on the price they will give you but wouldn't it be worth buying back and breaking it?

Its an option but i have no where really to strip down a car. I'd have to remove any quick selling parts and scrap the car in one day.

The only other problem i have now is that they want me to pay the rest of my premium out of the settlement fee because its hastings vs hastings and my policy renewed on the day of the bump so thats a full years premium of £540 gone. Think i'll have to kick up a fuss about that.

Hang on, if it's not your fault, and you are claiming from a 3rd party - irrespective of whether you and the 3rd party use the same insurers, you should be able to claim in full  - without using your premium as part payment.

It's different if a claim is made against you, and you are at fault.

Stand up to them  - You need the full payout to purchase another car.

Hang on, if it's not your fault, and you are claiming from a 3rd party - irrespective of whether you and the 3rd party use the same insurers, you should be able to claim in full - without using your premium as part payment.

It's different if a claim is made against you, and you are at fault.

Stand up to them - You need the full payout to purchase another car.

Already had them out over it mate and cleared it all up. It shouldnt be an issue now.. But we'll see. In the meantime the car was taken away for inspection yesterday and i was given a nice new ultimate helmet drivers car.. An insignia SRi..

Already had them out over it mate and cleared it all up. It shouldnt be an issue now.. But we'll see. In the meantime the car was taken away for inspection yesterday and i was given a nice new ultimate helmet drivers car.. An insignia SRi..

Now that really is kicking a man when he's down :giggle: , seriously, hope it goes well for you.

Was offered £1500 for final settlement. Cars a cat c write off. Bought a mondeo ST now

I looked at the Mondeo before getting the Vectra.  Did you go for the petrol or diesel in the end?

I looked at the Mondeo before getting the Vectra. Did you go for the petrol or diesel in the end?

I went for the diesel. Not sure i could justify the £490 a year to tax a petrol. Nice car though plenty of little trick bits on it.

Yeah, the tax is a bit of a killer.  Having said that, in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad when broken down into a monthly cost and rolled in with all the other costs of running a car.

As for the Mondeo, have you got any photos to put up yet?