Tail lights - boot section

The standard SE tail lights are LED indeed... Except as mentioned above the Skoda "C" shape doesn't go into the hatch/tailgate.

The standard rear brake lights are also LED. The reversing lights and rear indicator lights on all models are halogen as standard.

Not sure how clear this is (typically it suddenly brightened up when I took this) but this is the rear light on my 'S'...

post-137305-0-11984600-1460464340_thumb.jpg

The light kept strobing in the camera as I was trying to take it which seems odd for a tungsten bulb, so not sure if it's juts a reduced LED or what.  Seems to be a brighter spot in each 'corner' of the C with what I assumed to be a prism guiding the light along.  If I remember I'll try taking one after dark...

Cheers.

Interesting that Skoda don't make this stuff absolutely clear as lights are a very important visual character of a car.

For many cars (like my last gen Passat) it was the back lights that (marginally) saved the crashing boredom of the estate backend...

Came across a nice YouTube video of a test drive - with a lot of emphasis on the lights (full LED lights). Nice change being able to see a video of just the car with no speaking and without a car journalist reading off the Skoda PR crib sheet (Simply clever, look at the umbrellas, look at the ice scraper...)

Not sure how clear this is (typically it suddenly brightened up when I took this) but this is the rear light on my 'S'...

attachicon.gif2016-04-12 12.58.02 reduced.jpg

The light kept strobing in the camera as I was trying to take it which seems odd for a tungsten bulb, so not sure if it's juts a reduced LED or what.  Seems to be a brighter spot in each 'corner' of the C with what I assumed to be a prism guiding the light along.  If I remember I'll try taking one after dark...

Left it a bit late so quite dark, but tail lights look like this...

post-137305-0-82769400-1460490057_thumb.jpg

It does indeed look like the numberplate lights are LEDs - light is far too white for tungsten.

Just like to add a couple more photos here of the tail lights on my SE Business estate..

As you can see from the photo.. (something i didnt realise) is that the rear fog light is actually in the BOOT cluster part on the right hand side...

See below..

20160412_213912_zpshr4wm9dr.jpg

20160412_214138_zpsqbx1xtx3.jpg

20160412_213939_zpsptvpkbxf.jpg

20160412_214033_zpsobmtkz67.jpg

20160412_214045_zpsui7vdk8r.jpg

20160412_214134_zpswcdpdvsx.jpg

20160412_213904_zpshfqyifvg.jpg

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Ok -to put this to bed!  I have an SE-L Executive estate.  It has the complete 'c section' rear lights (ie they go into the boot at the top.  No extra LED pack above what comes standard with the model.

• Like 1

It appears there are obviously two different designs of rear light cluster, the 'High' variant having the inner LED bar extensions into the boot, the rectangular concave chrome covers over the bulbs, and the crystalline 'slash' marks in some of the red background elements of the lighting cluster. This echoes a similar thing on the xenon headlights, where the main beam bulb would normally live.

I've seen a few Superbs without the additional inner LED light bar and I didn't notice any problems with general levels of light output, so I'd doubt there is any issue with safety. 

I assumed mine had the 'High' variant rear lights as it's an L&K, and comes with the LED plus package as standard. However, upon consulting the brochure, it states: LED exterior light package (LED rear lights high and LED registration plate illumination) for the SE-L and above - hatch and estate. The LED plus package seems to have no bearing on the 'High' variant rear light clusters.

You can only have the LED plus package as an option on the SE-L anyway, so it's irrelevant as it comes with the 'High' rear lights anyway.

Every Superb has LED rear lights as standard as well, High or otherwise.

There's not much point making comparisons with cars produced for different countries as the spec varies anyway. 

And I still think it's crap that the 'High' variant doesn't have LED indicators or reversing lights 

• 1 year later...

May be/not worth mentioning some 12 months later according to the brochure and configurator to get the rear lights as seen on the SE L and above on the SE (suspect the same on the SE business) although not an option on the S, you have to add the "LED package rear" option £150

1 hour ago, kezwald said:

May be/not worth mentioning some 12 months later according to the brochure and configurator to get the rear lights as seen on the SE L and above on the SE (suspect the same on the SE business) although not an option on the S, you have to add the "LED package rear" option £150

Yup - was not present in MY16 as an option i dont believe--- or it was called something else !

2 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Yup - was not present in MY16 as an option i dont believe--- or it was called something else !

Hell knows with them could of been something like this....

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 15:04, dstev2000 said:

LED exterior light package (LED rear lights high and LED registration plate illumination) for the SE-L and above

7 minutes ago, kezwald said:

Hell knows with them could of been something like this....

That was it... however it had no further description, and as the SE Business came with LED Tail lights and LED reg bulbs it seemed a pointless option... till the cars started arriving..

Lost in translation comes to mind

4 minutes ago, RickTT said:

That was it... however it had no further description, and as the SE Business came with LED Tail lights and LED reg bulbs it seemed a pointless option... till the cars started arriving..

Lost in translation comes to mind

LED exterior light package (LED rear lights high and LED registration plate illumination) for the SE-L and above  

• 5 years later...