Odd problem while running. Garage stumped. Ideas?

My car (2003 1.4 16v petrol estate) has developed an intermittent problem when being driven. The power stutters now and then. I'm not sure how better to describe it, sorry. It's worse when it's full, and at low speeds, but is okay at higher speeds. It also doesn't happen every time it's used, maybe one time out of three. Had a service a month ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

Fuel filter needs replacing, sounds like when at load, so also spark plugs, leads,

Also is it an AUB or BBZ engine?...............as on that date it could be either..........AUB has leads, BBZ has a coil ignitor on top of each plug like the old 1.8T MK4 Golf...........

My car (2003 1.4 16v petrol estate) has developed an intermittent problem when being driven. The power stutters now and then. I'm not sure how better to describe it, sorry. It's worse when it's full, and at low speeds, but is okay at higher speeds. It also doesn't happen every time it's used, maybe one time out of three. Had a service a month ago. Any ideas? Thanks!

Almost certainly wasted spark coil pack - common fault on this engine. Usually worse at low speeds and shows up more in cold/damp weather

At tickover in neutral with the engine running - floor the throttle - if it briefly sounds like a 2cv (2  cylinder sound) then one of the two coils is failing - The pack has two coils each covering 2 cylinders - hence "wasted spark"

It's difficult to diagnose as doesn't always throw a code  - cheap to buy / replace so just change it!

If you don't eventually it takes the cat out with un-burnt fuel from the affected cylinders 

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks everyone! 

It's been to the garage a couple of times but never does it with them. Not sure which engine it is, but I can check in the morning. 

How much am I looking at if it's the spark coil pack? (It had new plugs when it was serviced.)