Goodbye Yeti, hello Discovery Sport

yellowyeller

You'd hope the modern LR is ruggedly reliable but I don't have that sort of confidence

Certainly not the RR of today; they're too 'pretty' for my liking.

Regardless of manufacturer or make, and despite driving since from 1977/78, and always mostly 2nd hand, some very 2nd hand, self maintained cars, up to 12 years, and 250,000 miles, and only servicing to manufacturers recommendations, (despite not being a mechanic in any way) In approaching 600,000    miles driving I have ALMOST never had a car breakdown and strand me at the roadside. And during most of this period only owning and running a single car, no back-up vehicles to call on, perhaps focusses the mind!

Mind you I have never owned a Landrover product either!!

but 1 each of;

BL, Morris Minor, scrapper

Lada, very second hand

Hillman Hunter (OOPS THAT ONE DID AT THE AIRPORT) a split diaphram in the carb btw

Renault 5, low miles but v rusty

VW Polo

Citroen BX 1.9 diesel,

Ford Galaxy

& currently 

the  Skoda. (with the SDP Van going on the road as a back-up vehicle)

PS

Last 2 were purchased new

Far too many drivers are exactly that "drivers", and therby needlessly present a hazard to other road users when they "break down" needlessly.

Regards

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

Regardless of manufacturer or make, and despite driving since from 1977/78, and always mostly 2nd hand, some very 2nd hand, self maintained cars, up to 12 years, and 250,000 miles, and only servicing to manufacturers recommendations, (despite not being a mechanic in any way) In approaching 600,000    miles driving I have ALMOST never had a car breakdown and strand me at the roadside. And during most of this period only owning and running a single car, no back-up vehicles to call on, perhaps focusses the mind!

Mind you I have never owned a Landrover product either!!

but 1 each of;

BL, Morris Minor, scrapper

Lada, very second hand

Hillman Hunter (OOPS THAT ONE DID AT THE AIRPORT) a split diaphram in the carb btw

Renault 5, low miles but v rusty

VW Polo

Citroen BX 1.9 diesel,

Ford Galaxy

& currently 

the  Skoda. (with the SDP Van going on the road as a back-up vehicle)

PS

Last 2 were purchased new

Far too many drivers are exactly that "drivers", and therby needlessly present a hazard to other road users when they "break down" needlessly.

Regards

Marcus

You want to think yourself lucky then,

Try standing by the side of the M3 on a winters day after the hire van, almost new, had broken down....while clothed to not expect it.

Which has got nothing to do with the Discovery Sport!

The Evoke doesn't have a chassis and also isn't built at Solihull.

Both of my Freelanders did 100k miles, had no corrosion problems, no VCU problems, and never let me down despite some severe use off-road. The only reason we moved to a Yeti was because the FL2 was too big for our needs and slightly too expensive.

I would strongly consider a Disco Sport if I came into some money, but would prefer something slightly smaller, as I don't need a 7 seater.

Which has got nothing to do with the Discovery Sport!

The Evoke doesn't have a chassis and also isn't built at Solihull.

Both of my Freelanders did 100k miles, had no corrosion problems, no VCU problems, and never let me down despite some severe use off-road. The only reason we moved to a Yeti was because the FL2 was too big for our needs and slightly too expensive.

I would strongly consider a Disco Sport if I came into some money, but would prefer something slightly smaller, as I don't need a 7 seater.

True no chassis my bad but does have a lot of steel runni gear and this is what I was referring to when I said had rusted to very bad flaking standards.

Also what does it matter where a car is built if they all share the same Land Rover badge they should all have the same build standards not different ones.

Is the discovery "Sport" on the Discovery platform or the Freelander platform.

Neither:

The platform used for the Discovery Sport is the Land Rover LR-MS platform, shared with the Range Rover Evoque and derived from the Ford EUCD platform, but with 90% of components redesigned from scratch to meet Land Rover's specific demands, primarily related to off-road use.

The Discovery Sport includes further changes to the platform in comparison with the Evoque, with a new compact multi-link suspension design to permit the folding rear seats and spare wheel well in the boot space, without requiring an unduly high and impractical load floor.The front suspension is a MacPherson strut design carried over from the Range Rover Evoque largely unchanged, and features steel lower and aluminium upper control arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Discovery_Sport

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

Not in the sense I was asking....it is not a true derivation of a Discovery with an inline engine layout coupled to a gearbox driving a proper transfer box with props to front and rear differential on the axles:

It is in essence just a glorified Evoque which was originally based on the Freelander 2 platform albeit they have changed the engines from the Citreon/Peugeot 2.2 job so it is a Freelander 2 concept in so far as the 4x4 drive train is derived from a transverse engine with a coupling off the back to a prop and into the Haldex diff.

They may have stretched the new platform to give it more room probably.

I thought it was a true Discovery in a sport version.

Edited by Defenderben

Ditto. If money was not a consideration (or rather less of a consideration) a Disco Sport would be my choice. At the moment I do too many miles, it's a bit too big and just a bit too expensive to justify a brand new one. The Yeti copes admirably with the off road work I do and I don't feel I have to be too precious about it - it's no Defender but it's ability surprises many of the farmers, gamekeepers etc I deal with and I can drive it on normal roads without losing my hearing and fillings.

Edited by KLM

^^^^^^ a bit too expensive for the 'poachers' also, I imagine.

If I want to do some hard 4WD ing I don't want to be thinking about scratches, rust or staked drive boots.

For me, 4WD fun is firing up an old landie (that I can actually work on) in a farm shed and going exploring.

Of course, getting to the farm shed would be done in a RR and parking it on a gravel driveway.

• Like 2

Hi I came from Disco TD5, to my 4x4 TDI "Snowman". and have never regretted.

When my Dad asked a Work Mate to round off my driving abilities, and Learners Permit.

His Name was Mr.Johnson (Aussie Motor Legend now),

at Lakeside he taught me the most important lessons of my Driving life, soon to 47 years.

1.Know your vehicle, with different Tyre pressures.

2.Acknowledge the Weather Conditions.With different Tyre pressures.

3.Drive speed, has to be what is comfortable for conditions.

when to go slow and speed up.

4. The above lessons helped my Drive to Tully.Qld from Cairns.Qld after Cyclone

with emergency Equipment, took me 23 Hrs for a normal 4 Hour Drive,

but I got there "Thanks to Dad & ****'s Training.

Edited by Gobmax

Not in the sense I was asking....it is not a true derivation of a Discovery with an inline engine layout coupled to a gearbox driving a proper transfer box with props to front and rear differential on the axles:

It is in essence just a glorified Evoque which was originally based on the Freelander 2 platform albeit they have changed the engines from the Citreon/Peugeot 2.2 job so it is a Freelander 2 concept in so far as the 4x4 drive train is derived from a transverse engine with a coupling off the back to a prop and into the Haldex diff.

They may have stretched the new platform to give it more room probably.

I thought it was a true Discovery in a sport version.

The Discovery Sport, Evoque and Jaguar counter part which is scheduled all share the D8 platform build in Halewood. The Discovery 4 is being replaced next year on a new platform.

The needed to drop the Freelander name, ironic as the FL2 was a good car by the end of its run. As is the 2.2 DW12 Ford/Peugeot engine. The new AJ200 engine built in Wolverhampton is yet to be proven but the twin turbo variant is certainly impressive.

• Like 2