About 18 months ago, I took my 1.8TSi to Midland Re-maps in Wolverhampton, where I had a map for £199.  While the map didn't seem to affect the car low down the rev range, it absolutely sang above 3500 rpm; the fluency and facility of the breathing was really something.  It didn't affect my insurance (LV) so I was well pleased with the upgrade.

Yesterday, I took my new 1.8TSi to the same place, where they were now offering the map for £149.  Halfway through the job, the manager came in and told me that they had misquoted me over the phone: the job should be £229.  This is because on the more recent engine, the car can't be mapped through the OBD port - they have to buy some sort of file and do it a different way.  However, he agreed to honour the original quote, meaning a saving to me of £80.  Nice.

To cut to the chase: the car now goes like a bloody rocket!  This is throughout the rev range; throttle response is instant and the action is so light, you feel you could just breathe on the pedal.  The man told me that the newer engine can be exploited more than the old one and he estimated that my car is now putting out 210-220 BHP (I didn't take the rolling road option to verify).

I have no affiliation with the company; I just want to pass on the info that there is a great bargain to be had at the moment.

One other point: he said that older VAG engines, under hard acceleration, are susceptible to a breakdown of the coil packs - just one to watch out for if you DO go for a map.

Edited by 101delMotions

Should of done a dyno dynamics rolling road before and after,  take guys power quote with a grain of salt

Fair point but it DRIVES like it's got 210+

"DRIVES like its got 210+"  Thats why you dyno it first and then after to look at the actual gain, not assumed gain by the mappers

"DRIVES like its got 210+"  Thats why you dyno it first and then after to look at the actual gain, not assumed gain by the mappers

Not 100% sure I get your point.  Are you saying the piece of paper is more important than the feeling (however subjective) that I'm King of the Road?

I've paid £149; the car is transformed and I'm King of the Road.  Before the remap, I wasn't King of the Road; now I'm King of the Road.  What's your point?

• Like 1

Not 100% sure I get your point.  Are you saying the piece of paper is more important than the feeling (however subjective) that I'm King of the Road?

I've paid £149; the car is transformed and I'm King of the Road.  Before the remap, I wasn't King of the Road; now I'm King of the Road.  What's your point?

Eh? Relax... Morelike you are King of the sh!thouse - Joke   :D

Edited by Turkeythighs

Eh? Relax... Morelike you are King of the sh!thouse - Joke   :D

I'm VERY relaxed; I can afford to be - I'm King of the Road.   :strong: