Scottish delicacy

seboni121

You've missed out a call at Arbroath for some smokies!

Now,Now,KEN- try a trip to the West Coast,to Mallaig, in fact, to Jaffies shop(http://www.jaffys.co.uk/mallaig-kippers/), and if they have Kippers(as herring area fast disappearing breed)then you have the  ultimate in KIPPERS.

Now,Now,KEN- try a trip to the West Coast,to Mallaig, in fact, to Jaffies shop(http://www.jaffys.co.uk/mallaig-kippers/), and if they have Kippers(as herring area fast disappearing breed)then you have the  ultimate in KIPPERS.

Aye, but that's a long way round for a shortcut if you're trying to go from Forfar to Aberdeen in time that shops in Aberdeen will still have butteries.

• Like 1

NAY problem,Ken- there's a local baker( been there since the village was a couple of houses) ,where butteries are a stock in trade. Bit far to go, but why would any discerning perwon looking for fish go to the second Herring port in the north. (=Aberdeen).

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Available in Asda.  As good as any I have ever had anywhere.  Not even bite size. 

DSC_1023.JPG

Oooo… not had a decent Buttery for ages. Will be heading north in a few weeks time, reminder to pop in to the local Asda has been set 👍

• Love it! 1

This picture is in an earlier post.   A light lunch...

& Memories of Sangs Moray cup came up on Facebook this week. Discontinued in 2018 because of the Sugar Tax.

I used to help myself from the factory when a child because the owner was my dads pal and it was next to my dads work.

These Aberdeen Butteries / Rowies, were the full butter ones that the bakery i bought them at kept under the counter for regulars, butter and salt content being far too high for the general public. 

This was from a bakery north of Aberdeen. 

post-86161-0-18891200-1449494389.jpg

• Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Proper butteries with the salt and lard crusted on the outside 😋

Have to admit I’ve had to google what exactly a Buttery is. The photo of the Asda packet made them look like flat versions of their doughnuts although I read that they’re a savoury so presume that outer coating (which I thought to be a dusting of sugar) is the lard and salt?

On 18/04/2024 at 17:46, BTandSid said:

Have to admit I’ve had to google what exactly a Buttery is. The photo of the Asda packet made them look like flat versions of their doughnuts although I read that they’re a savoury so presume that outer coating (which I thought to be a dusting of sugar) is the lard and salt?

Rowies or Butteries are type of bread traditionally from Aberdeen.
They're very heavy on butter and salt originally to make them stay fresh a long time on the boats for the fishermen.
The supermarket ones are rubbish. The real deal are more like a croisson type bread if heavier and salty. Bit crispy on the edges as well if you get a good one.
Eaten with a bit more butter on top.
Delicious but your heart won't thank you for them.

@Aspman  Have you had these from Asda yet?

Not only have i had them from Asda, i had the same last week from the bakery that supplies Asda. 

Butteies as good as Aitkens ever were of Kelly of Cults or my uncle Jimmy Duncan and then my cousin Jim Duncan.

On par with the ones in the bags in the picture from the Strathisla Bakery in Keith.  (Now nothing like as good sadly, less fat / salt.)

5 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Aspman  Have you had these from Asda yet?

Not only have i had them from Asda, i had the same last week from the bakery that supplies Asda. 

Butteies as good as Aitkens ever were of Kelly of Cults or my uncle Jimmy Duncan and then my cousin Jim Duncan.

On par with the ones in the bags in the picture from the Strathisla Bakery in Keith.  (Now nothing like as good sadly, less fat / salt.)

Not had them from Asda that I can recall.

@Aspman Please try. 

& Tesco,s are selling J.G. Ross the bakers (Aberdeen) . The same as were delivered to across the road from me each week.

, there are ones in plain Tesco bags, 6 not well fired, or G.R. Ross 4 pack. Expensive.

EDIT.

Freezer pretty full of 4 packs of reduced priced ones for toasting but as it is they were fresh / crispy enough.

81_photo_926_0_none_none_display_full_media.jpg

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1