Engine 'Flutter'/'Judder'

mhr

I have a 2011 Octavia Scout which previously had the 1.8TSI engine replaced. The new engine has done less than 20K miles but has developed what a layman such as myself is describing as a flutter or a judder.

Everything about it says to me that it is engine related but I'm open to suggestions.

I changed the spark plugs and the old ones looked wrecked! Changing the plugs seemed to give an immediate increase in power but the flutter/judder is still there.

I also bought a single coil and rotated it along all four cylinders but saw no change.

Does my poor description cause anything to stand out as a possible problem to anyone?

(a local garage said they couldn't feel anything and said there were no fault codes showing)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 2011 Octavia Scout which previously had the 1.8TSI engine replaced. The new engine has done less than 20K miles but has developed what a layman such as myself is describing as a flutter or a judder.

Everything about it says to me that it is engine related but I'm open to suggestions.

I changed the spark plugs and the old ones looked wrecked! Changing the plugs seemed to give an immediate increase in power but the flutter/judder is still there.

I also bought a single coil and rotated it along all four cylinders but saw no change.

Does my poor description cause anything to stand out as a possible problem to anyone?

(a local garage said they couldn't feel anything and said there were no fault codes showing)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

DMF?

DMF ??

I believe I can hear something unusual about the way the engine is idling, particularly from outside the car listening to the engine. Still not very descriptive, sorry.

However, the flutter/judder is most noticeable under average acceleration or driving at a constant speed/revs.

If I hold maybe one gear lower than necessary so the revs are a little higher but just hold it constant, it is very noticeable (to me at least).

Commiserations. My 09 1.8tsi had engine rebuild (stage 2). I took mine back cos I thought it wasn't right but got a shoulder shrug from stealers. A week later it broke down - turned out to be camshaft adjuster valve. Now sorted but misfires on gear changes!

• 1 month later...

We had this on SWMBOs 2009 1.8TSI, the best way I can explain it is flutter or mild misfiring at around 2k revs while accelerating in higher gears, particularly noticeable in 4th or 5th but if you floored it the flutter was not noticeable. I changed spark plugs which were very carboned up on the ring, but the electrode was still good, helped for a while but came back within a week, so changed all 4 coils, no difference. After reading up on this engine, I decided carbon build up was to blame, so switched to using 97/98/99 Ron fuels instead of standard 95 and also treated the inlet manifold with Seafoam, this definitely helped but did not cure, I would say reduced flutter by 80%.

In the end, we chopped it in for a 2013 Leon 1.8TSI so hoping the cam tensioner issues are resolved in this later engine and I know it has dual injection set up so hopefully will help with carbon build up issues that are inherent on previous gen direct injection only engines.

As Matt Pez states sounds like carbon build up. The wife's Mini Cooper S suffered with this. Accelerating from a steady throttle and the engine would stutter. Ease off and accelerate again and it would be fine again most of the time. Seafoam treatment would work for a few months then it would return.

Terraclean may work for longer but most likely you need the valves cleaning which is going to cost a lot more.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Speaking to Brad1.8t about this going on, general feeling for me would be a carbon build-up on the inlet side. Mine sort of stutters around 1800 rpm whe you're just driving idling, dunno if that's the same as what you're experiencing? Brad's a mechanic, so sorts his out, but he said this is sort of what happened with his 1.8. Having said that, we have the early BZB engines (which don't appear have the tensioner problems ;) ), but I'm guessing the theory for carbon buildup would be the same on the later 1.8's.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385834-tfsi-decoke/?hl=%2Bterraclean#entry4509389

Currently getting quotes for sake of interest as to how much.

Edited by blackspaven