Abuse of the reputation system

ColinD

• Administrators

Now some of you kick and fight over the smallest of things...I hope you realise I have an overview of who is doing what and patterns do demerge.

For example one person has awarded over 18 negative rep's and they are in most cases not even valid. While plausible if valid, sadly most are not, the odd aspect is no positive ones are awarded...except to those who have awared him or her postive..now as you can't see who leaves, I have to assume somthing else is underway.

IF I find cases of organised abuse or self promotion through alternative means then I'll remove them.

It's a tool that takes time to build up, petty minded abuse takes seconds to remove, unfortunatly I have a long list of other things I could be doing with my life and that of the staff...so please GROW UP or leave!

• Like 3

Well said Colin, it was obvious that this sort of thing was going to happen TBH, 'mates' will always help each other gain better ratings and people who disagree of are slightly controversial {or maybe just speak the truth} will always be penalised by the others {& their 'mates'}

Lets hope like you say people use the system the way it is supposed to be used, not showing particular favoritism positive or otherwise to any individual persons postings, and that all are viewed with an open mind reflective of that persons individual opinion on a given subject.

Sorry for going on but as I have nothing to do I thought I would have to type something :)

• Like 2

I've not bothered using it for that reason - if I do, it will probably be for an extremely helpful post or similar.

Having been on the site for a while now, there are some who enjoy a bit of a semi-punch-up every so often. No doubt I've been involved once or twice, I'm no saint ;)

If it starts to get personal I just walk away from it (the thread involved) - seems to work for me.

I'm sure Colin doesnt need more work with the site, and may occasionally :P want a life too :D

I think the reputation tool has great potential.

However, if it is to be abused, then its use is non-existant.

I have given quite a bit of +ve feedback, but it has to be a particularly helpful post or otherwise. Also given some to people that always make me smile, as I feel there is definitely a need for good humour in the community.

I am yet to give out any negative feedback, but will do so if I feel a post inappropriate, or too provocative, or just useless.

I have received a little feedback... and would like to know what people think of me.

I also think it shouldn't be possible to leave feedback without giving a reason. I also think people should leave their userid if they so desire. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The same happened on another forum im a member of. Easy solution was found (sort of :confused: ) and it works ok. When a helpful post has been made, the post is reported, using the 'Report post to moderator' (or report bad post on this forum) and the moderator of that particular forum gives it out if he/she thinks its worthy of good or bad rep.

It just needs people to recognise good or bad posts and to bother reporting them!