Toms MINI JCW

Furbytom

Ah Tom you're going to miss the M135 if todays weather is anything to go buy. It's probably been the coldest day I have taken the 1er out in since I got it and the backend was so loose when I first set off :) I wondered if I had a puncture at the first junction I nipped out of and the dashboard started to flash at me. So I did the sensible thing and put it in Sport plus and it was very lively indeed. Knocked what was left of the nanny systems off and it was hysterical, but in a good way :) Mind you, once the tyres are properly warmed up, it isn't quite so much fun.

Looks lovely!

The wheels are the same design as the GP's i notice (:

No doubt it will be very engaging to drive.

Lookn forward to the interior shots!

I was pleasantly suprised with the 130bhp one i drove handling wise.. And the older 2006 supercharged GP was a right hoot. So i imagine yours is a mix of both haha.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Guess the Golf GTI Clubsport will be a more direct comparison when it arrives in it's limited form.

What do you think Tom

Did you ever get to drive the R after your RS3 experience?

Guess the Golf GTI Clubsport will be a more direct comparison when it arrives in it's limited form.

What do you think Tom

Did you ever get to drive the R after your RS3 experience?

No never got to drive an R. If there had been a local demo option I might have done. Once I had driven the JCW my heart was set on one really and the search stopped there lol. I did have an initial conversation with my local dealer about an R (and also the Polo GTI funnily enough) but they were offering horrendously low p/ex value on the M135i, so that combined with the higher purchase price (and worse APR on PCP) made it abit of a non-starter really.

One of the "feel good" things about the JCW is also the financial aspect. My monthly PCP payments have gone down and there are also savings on tax/fuel/insurance/servicing etc. I suspect my monthly outgoings on an R might have gone up not down!

Changing was never financially motivated but tis nice to see some smaller bills ;-)

• Like 1

Just done a good deal via Orangewheels on the PX of my Partner's Fabia vRS MK2 13 plt high spec. for a High spec 5dr Polo Gti DSG.

Had an extended test drive in the Polo  over last weekend - very nice drive ,like the smooth 1.8 delivery and quality fit and finish.

• Like 3

Nice one Tom, we have gone from a Cooper, to a Cooper S, and got the new F56 JCW earlier this year and we are absolutely in love with it.

Mini's have never been about outright power, but the fun that can be had in the JCW exploiting the handling and razzing around have to be experienced as you can have great fun without doing super silly speeds.

The exhaust pops and bangs are addictive, and the interior has taken a welcome jump up market with this generation.  We pretty much threw the option list at ours, but its our only car so dont mind going a bit nuts at order time.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it over the coming months, I'm pretty sure our exhaust has got louder over the last 5000 miles.

RBW.

• Like 1

Nice one Tom, we have gone from a Cooper, to a Cooper S, and got the new F56 JCW earlier this year and we are absolutely in love with it.

Mini's have never been about outright power, but the fun that can be had in the JCW exploiting the handling and razzing around have to be experienced as you can have great fun without doing super silly speeds.

The exhaust pops and bangs are addictive, and the interior has taken a welcome jump up market with this generation.  We pretty much threw the option list at ours, but its our only car so dont mind going a bit nuts at order time.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it over the coming months, I'm pretty sure our exhaust has got louder over the last 5000 miles.

RBW.

RBW,

Is that £30 K plus? Minus some decent discount, I would hope so. Reasonably cheap finance?

Edited by vrskeith

RBW,

Is that £30 K plus? Minus some decent discount, I would hope so. Reasonably cheap finance?

Yes it was, and I know people will question spending that much on a Mini, but its primarilly the wifes car and we were pretty certain we didnt want anything else and believe me we looked, Audi S3, Golf R, M235i etc....  There was a discount, but not massive as the car had only recently come out and even this took time to negotiate.  Fortunately we are in a position to buy outright, so no finance needed (just pex of the 2008 Cooper S).

We tend to keep them for about 5-8 years, and buying the JCW has really been a long term ambition having enjoyed the R53 Cooper (CVT) and R56 Cooper S (Aisin auto), we have been pretty much waiting for an auto JCW (they did do the mid life refresh R56 JCW in auto, but by then we thought we would hold on for the next gen).

Having purchased the car, spending so much money you always wonder if you have done the right thing, but every time we drive it we smile, and bridges have become a new found fascination to hear the exhaust bouncing off the walls.  Absolutely delighted with the car, and they do bring out the devil in you.

RBW.

• Like 1

Fair shout Tom.....a little surprised you let the M135i go in place of a JCW but like you say cheaper and just as fun in its own way :-)

I think the latest Mini is a great car....my old man had a Cooper auto 3 door with a load of spec thrown at it as a courtesy car a while ago whilst his M135i was in for some work and know he was rather taken by it....also how quick it was for a 1.5 3 cyl petrol!

The JCW I guess just takes that to the extreme!

Ive likely got my GTD for 4 years now....but my company list has changed and probably the best performing but cheapest BIK car on there now is the Cooper SD 5 door with Media Pack......be what Id choose now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does this Mini need "pops and crackles " to do the Business!! lol

http://cdn2.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/bivouac_-_nasser_al-attiyahs_cars.jpg

Tom, does your car have a lightweight RSJ's for a doorsills ??lol

This looks like your local Cornish Beach - did you have Furby Jr strapped in?

Nice growel. Edited by vrskeith

Does this Mini need "pops and crackles " to do the Business!! lol

http://cdn2.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/bivouac_-_nasser_al-attiyahs_cars.jpg

Tom, does your car have a lightweight RSJ's for a doorsills ??lol

This looks like your local Cornish Beach - did you have Furby Jr strapped in?

Nice growel.
No idea what's powering that but it sounds like a V8 monster under there :-)

Edit: Looks like it's actually a diseasel, engine from a 530d? Lol

Edited by Furbytom

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fun, and I bet the exhaust sounds fab with the roof down. Not for me tho, prefer my hard-top. Quicker and will handle better :-)

I have only ever driven the old mini, did very much enjoy the sensation of going really quickly whilst only going 30mph. 

Tom does the new mini still capture that sensation of a small car/rollerskate fun drive?

Hope you are enjoying the new car.

it's about time we had some more video action Tom :) A friend is looking to get the new Mini Convertible (she has the old model at the mo) and I'm trying to convince her to get the Cooper S version :) Sadly she will never fit a sports exhaust, no matter how hard I try to persuade her :(

• Like 1

I have only ever driven the old mini, did very much enjoy the sensation of going really quickly whilst only going 30mph.

Tom does the new mini still capture that sensation of a small car/rollerskate fun drive?

Hope you are enjoying the new car.

Absolutely, so much fun to chuck about. More refined than previous Minis but still such a haugh to drive.

Definitely enjoying it!

• Like 1