Xenon kits

Hi all,

I know there is a lot of posts about this but I just want to confirm something quickly.  I have bought and fitted a xenon kit to my 2008 pre facelift octavia but after seeing the amazing trundlenut tonight he said I should change them because they are a canbus kit.  Before I ring the company I got these from to see if they do a non canbus kit to change this to could someone confirm I need the non canbus with mini ballast?

I am hoping I can just change the control box and then get it programed so it doesn't kill my car lol

Also what would happen if I didn't change this?

Many thanks

Tom.

Edited by Tom1984

I have a nov 2007.  I've been running a "canbus friendly" kit (has the extra resistors) since ~2009.  That's about 140,000km running with lights on.  I haven't had an issue with controllers.  

Having said that, properly coded non-"canbus friendly" are a better option.

The so called CANBUS friendly kits tend to affect the later FL model Octavia's more than the pre-FL.

There are some stories of the kits affecting the windscreen wiper motors on the pre-FL, the issue with the FL seems more serious with fried BCM's resulting in indicator bulbs being permanently illuminated etc.

The London Colour kits sold on eBay are reported to be as good as you get in terms of quality, especially if you stick to the 35W version and avoid the temptation to go too blue (4300K is the same as the OEM xenon's).

The kit linked below has ceramic and metal on the bulb bases (no plastic) and uses silicone insulation (again not cheaper plastic cables) and the ballasts are digital low current AC that are CE and ROSH approved.

You really can't do much better for £26 delivered to your door. My kit was fitted a couple of years ago and has done close to 70,000 miles now without issue. I even have a second set in the garage ready to replace this one if it ever fails...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H9-H11-HB3-HB4-9006-/330379335700

As mentioned, after fitting (but before turning on the lights) you need to spend a couple of minutes with VCDS to correctly code the car.

Edited by silver1011

• 1 month later...

It is better to fit them and code them at the same time.

Fitting them and then turning them on before coding them will result in the blown bulb warning on the dash, plus the car won't realise it has xenon's fitted which may damage the kit.

Sorry to be a complete dunce, I should buy the non canbus kit as per link above for my pre facelift octavia and then get it coded?

I would like to upgrade my lights too but don't want to fry anything

Regards

Yes, the non-CANBUS kit is the one you need, you just need to get the car coded.

CANBUS kits do not require coding but they have been known to cause various electrical issues.

Sorry to be a complete dunce, I should buy the non canbus kit as per link above for my pre facelift octavia and then get it coded?

I would like to upgrade my lights too but don't want to fry anything

Regards

Correct, for a pre-FL O2 the non canbus kit from london colour is the one most recommended.

Ideally, you'll fit the lights and code at the same time. If you haven't got VCDS then you'll need to find a local member that does. Depending exactly where you are I'm happy to code it while you fit the lights :)

• Like 1

sorry for hijacking the thread, could I fit the same kit to fl octavia and do the vcds too? thanks

It will physically fit but I would really recommend that you don't.

The FL O2's don't get on well with aftermarket HID kits and have a history of killing their BCM's. If you do decide to fit it, I'd suggest you put a few hundred euros to one side so you can replace anything that gets damaged.

This is the case for both CAN-friendly and non CAN-friendly kits I'm afraid.

• Like 1