What happened to the parts department?

How times have changed. Went to my only Skoda main dealers the other day (in my area) and passing the show room I drove down the side of the building expecting to find the parts department (remember the good old days?)

No sign of one anywhere. I parked up and entered the posh show room to ask a guy if they had a parts department. That'll be me he answered. I told him what I was looking for and even had the part number at hand to give to him. 5 minutes on his computer and off he popped to print me a receipt. That will be in buy Thursday he announced.

Don't Skoda have Parts departments with stock on the shelves? Do you have to order a set of spark plugs or an air filter and wait for it to be delivered to the dealer these days?

Had my haldex oil changed yesterday, on completion of which they noted the front coil over had snapped (in mid November I heard something metallic hit the underside of the car and then roll around the wheel for a few seconds, but as I was on the M74 at the time, I assumed it was debris from the year long roadworks). The dealership didn't have any in stock, nor did any local VW dealerships. So the car is sat at the dealership, and I'm hoping to get it back this afternoon.

That's why you should just circumvent them and buy on the internet from the comfort of your home, saving money and driving in vain.

I just get the parts delivered to my place of work, avoiding the problem that the delivery man always come when I'm not home.

• Like 1

Yep, online or your local motor factors are the future.

Think of the room required to house the parts department.

Make 50p on a set of wiper blades or take that space and stick another couple of brand new cars in the showroom with a few grand profit in them.

Skoda do not want you to buy parts, they want you to book it in for them to source and fit the parts.

This is why the service book that details the service requirements / intervals is no longer in the glovebox on new Skoda's, they want you to book it in when the car 'bongs' and let them deal with it. More £'s to them. 

Edited by silver1011

Yep, online or your local motor factors are the future.

Think of the room required to house the parts department.

Make 50p on a set of wiper blades or take that space and stick another couple of brand new cars in the showroom with a few grand profit in them.

Skoda do not want you to buy parts, they want you to book it in for them to source and fit the parts.

This is why the service book that details the service requirements / intervals is no longer in the glovebox on new Skoda's, they want you to book it in when the car 'bongs' and let them deal with it. More £'s to them. 

Isn't it more likely to be £5 more than when buying on the web, where the seller didn't get the parts for free?

It's funny how things move on. It wouldn't even occur to me now, to visit a dealer and ask for a part.

Order online. Job done.

Can't think of the last time I suddenly needed something, that couldn't wait for next day delivery.

How times have changed. Went to my only Skoda main dealers the other day (in my area) and passing the show room I drove down the side of the building expecting to find the parts department (remember the good old days?)

No sign of one anywhere. I parked up and entered the posh show room to ask a guy if they had a parts department. That'll be me he answered. I told him what I was looking for and even had the part number at hand to give to him. 5 minutes on his computer and off he popped to print me a receipt. That will be in buy Thursday he announced.

Don't Skoda have Parts departments with stock on the shelves? Do you have to order a set of spark plugs or an air filter and wait for it to be delivered to the dealer these days?

have been there duck  and would have got the tee-shirt but out of stock,  :wall:    what happened to the best bit of British Leyland ?   old guy in a slop  " haven't got one of those but it's the same as a '56 Jag I've just got one left"  not to mention the prices :sun:

Can you remember the old Microfiche!?

Standing at the parts counter while some old bloke flicked through several microfiche's until he found the one for that particular part of the car, then him trying to swivel the half a ton machine round for you to take a look and confirm it was the part you wanted  :D

Microfiche.JPG

• Like 1

I was that old guy selling parts. My head full of part numbers still. Set of contact points for a 1949 v8 Ford Pilot E62A 12199. Steering drag link for 1930s model y Y3304. Crown wheel and pinion 1953 Popular E93A 4209.

• Like 3

I was that old guy selling parts. My head full of part numbers still. Set of contact points for a 1949 v8 Ford Pilot E62A 12199. Steering drag link for 1930s model y Y3304. Crown wheel and pinion 1953 Popular E93A 4209.

Amazing. I also admire breakers, who tell you why the part you think fits doesn't fit your car.